Totally Random Questions Thread

Random but will be useful (to me) question. I live in southwest and have lived in my house for 2 years with no ants. Noticed today that there is an ant hill/burrow/metropolis(?) that has emerged in a bed on the side of my house that is all 3/4” red rock with 2 rose bushes and a couple of cacti. Don’t have grass. Trickle irrigate the vegetation where ants are. Small, red ants but not fire ants (those I know in the most intimate and painful of ways. Has been very rainy this spring and uncommonly cool. Only in that one area of my property and not in house that I know of.

Anyone w experience know why ants may have suddenly showed up and best method to kill, kill, KILL them dead! Also I have 3 dogs who I do not want to kill.

I've never done this, and the end result is kinda cool...

"Spoilered" for anyone who may like ants.

That is awesome! Then you hang it in your house as a warning to other ants.

But I ended up reading that soapy water works well for a natural death trap. And then vinegar and orange peels to repel. Gonna try that. If that doesn’t work I’ll try chemicals. Nuclear option, I’ll reach out to my molten aluminum guy.

why does my phone insist on autocorrecting "y'all" to "ya'll"
it's like trying to use the gentrified version of the word
The guy that made don’t and didn’t got an extra project.

why do humans still need to sleep almost half our lives.. cant we fix this shit! I WANNA BE AWAKE
Research polyphasic sleep. Some people claim down to 3 hours a day.
Would you rather walk through some art fair or walk through some fart air? Discuss.
Art fairs are dope.

And now my question...
Best second language to learn and why?

Moving @tonythegamer question here bcause I can't be constrained by 420 characters. @nolalady, @blissfullychaotic

Does anyone here work in the programming field? If so, how long do you work per week, what is the day to day like, and what job did you start with in the field? How did you develop your skills and show companies that you have skills? These are just questions I'm asking for myself, as it might be what I do someday...

I've been a developer in some varying capacity for 20+ years in the US. Generally it's a 40-45 hour a week job except crunch time, where you might be working 12+ hours a day and weekends. I never did my own projects to show potential employers. I had paid internships and also part time jobs in college doing programming. Because I was working, I didn't really have time for personal programming projects. The language you learn is not so important really. Over the course of your career you will change programming languages many times. The key thing you're learning in school is thinking critically and how to interpret requirements into algorithms. Data analysis is a big part of programming as well and finding/creating data to exercise all paths of your program is a skill that critical to your success. Yahoo was still at stanford.edu when I was in college so lots has changed...I tried to keep this as general as possible. I would say Java or Python out of the two you mentioned. One thing that will surprise any graduate is how much code is still written in "old" languages and it's likely that you'll get a job working with those older languages (Java, C/C++, or even older stuff) doing business programming :)

Moving @tonythegamer question here bcause I can't be constrained by 420 characters. @nolalady, @blissfullychaotic

Does anyone here work in the programming field? If so, how long do you work per week, what is the day to day like, and what job did you start with in the field? How did you develop your skills and show companies that you have skills? These are just questions I'm asking for myself, as it might be what I do someday...

I've been a developer in some varying capacity for 20+ years in the US. Generally it's a 40-45 hour a week job except crunch time, where you might be working 12+ hours a day and weekends. I never did my own projects to show potential employers. I had paid internships and also part time jobs in college doing programming. Because I was working, I didn't really have time for personal programming projects. The language you learn is not so important really. Over the course of your career you will change programming languages many times. The key thing you're learning in school is thinking critically and how to interpret requirements into algorithms. Data analysis is a big part of programming as well and finding/creating data to exercise all paths of your program is a skill that critical to your success. Yahoo was still at stanford.edu when I was in college so lots has changed...I tried to keep this as general as possible. I would say Java or Python out of the two you mentioned. One thing that will surprise any graduate is how much code is still written in "old" languages and it's likely that you'll get a job working with those older languages (Java, C/C++, or even older stuff) doing business programming :)
I can't tell you how much stuff I've had to take from MS Access databases and Excel files and convert over to a different platform. I never use C but I did take a C programming class and I'm glad I did. What you find in newer languages is more language which makes it easier to program, but like I said it's all just syntax once you have the basics of algorithm writing. I find that it's the inherited systems that employers want to to either use or redo that you have to work with. We have a joke here at work that they need to phase out the mainframe system before we lose the last people who can program in DOS.

I can't tell you how much stuff I've had to take from MS Access databases and Excel files and convert over to a different platform. I never use C but I did take a C programming class and I'm glad I did. What you find in newer languages is more language which makes it easier to program, but like I said it's all just syntax once you have the basics of algorithm writing. I find that it's the inherited systems that employers want to to either use or redo that you have to work with. We have a joke here at work that they need to phase out the mainframe system before we lose the last people who can program in DOS.
Yes, I agree with this learning the most basic programming language possible where you have to do most of the work is best. It's cool to have some APIs or scripting language that make programming easy, but understanding how it all works underneath the covers will make you a better programmer.

The mainframe may seem like a dinosaur to people but the fact that the people that know it are retiring or worse means there is room for younger people to get in and make a space for themselves.

Yes, I agree with this learning the most basic programming language possible where you have to do most of the work is best. It's cool to have some APIs or scripting language that make programming easy, but understanding how it all works underneath the covers will make you a better programmer.

The mainframe may seem like a dinosaur to people but the fact that the people that know it are retiring or worse means there is room for younger people to get in and make a space for themselves.
And all these orgs have mainframes with a system cobbled around it.

The use of tomato products in clam chowder is illegal in Massachusetts.

Would Sriracha sauce fall under this law? Or is it free of tomato products?

Do I give a shit? Nope. I just found an Instant Pot clam chowder recipe that calls for Sriracha sauce and it got me thinking?

You might be wondering why the use of tomato products in clam chowder is illegal. And that's because once you add tomato products it becomes a Manhattan Clam Chowder and is no longer a New England Clam Chowder. And yes, this is a valid law on the books in Massachusetts.

The use of tomato products in clam chowder is illegal in Massachusetts.

Would Sriracha sauce fall under this law? Or is it free of tomato products?

Do I give a shit? Nope. I just found an Instant Pot clam chowder recipe that calls for Sriracha sauce and it got me thinking?

You might be wondering why the use of tomato products in clam chowder is illegal. And that's because once you add tomato products it becomes a Manhattan Clam Chowder and is no longer a New England Clam Chowder. And yes, this is a valid law on the books in Massachusetts.
No tomatoes were harmed in the making of Sriracha.

Back