Tipitina’s Record Club

how's the quality on these releases? I'm tempted to get that Dr John Solo Piano upcoming release. Also is it possible to just buy 1 release or do you have to subscribe to a 3 or 6 record sub?

quality has been good to great (IMO) on all the releases. everything is pressed locally in New Orleans as far as I can tell, lacquers done at Rare Form (based on run outs) and the quality of the live material has been really good so far.

it looks like they changed it so you have to do a minimum of 3 months now. i believe you used to be able to go release by release.

how's the quality on these releases? I'm tempted to get that Dr John Solo Piano upcoming release. Also is it possible to just buy 1 release or do you have to subscribe to a 3 or 6 record sub?
The presses have sounded really wonderful. Even the live albums sound very good. I am in for the whole year, but as a native, I think it’s necessary for me to have each release.

The presses have sounded really wonderful. Even the live albums sound very good. I am in for the whole year, but as a native, I think it’s necessary for me to have each release.
I wasn't in love with everything from last year and had intended to cancel but forgot to before my auto-renew hit and I'm really glad I stayed in based on the first two releases this year.

I’ve been an annual member since b4 the first release. As others have said, overall quality of the releases is excellent. The only exception for me has been Radiators - Kung Pow!!, where I have issues similar to those mentioned on Discogs.

But the quality is obviously limited by quality of source, so Fess at Home, while a really great release, was recorded . . . at home, and the Tip’s release reflects that. Likewise, I love the most recent relase — Donald Harrison. Quality is great in terms of flat/silent vinyl and good package. But either the recording or this cut/master is a bit light on high end crispness/punch but it plays very cleanly with warmth.

We’ll have to see about Dr. John solo bc it’s a new release altogether. In the past, some of these Tip’s “club exclusives” haven’t actually been exclusive. I know Fess at Home made it into some retail settings, and I think at least one other early release in the series also did. But that doesn’t seem to have happened w more recent releases, at least not that I’ve seen, but almost all of them have been on Discogs for decent prices at some point.

I’ve been an annual member since b4 the first release. As others have said, overall quality of the releases is excellent. The only exception for me has been Radiators - Kung Pow!!, where I have issues similar to those mentioned on Discogs.

But the quality is obviously limited by quality of source, so Fess at Home, while a really great release, was recorded . . . at home, and the Tip’s release reflects that. Likewise, I love the most recent relase — Donald Harrison. Quality is great in terms of flat/silent vinyl and good package. But either the recording or this cut/master is a bit light on high end crispness/punch but it plays very cleanly with warmth.

We’ll have to see about Dr. John solo bc it’s a new release altogether. In the past, some of these Tip’s “club exclusives” haven’t actually been exclusive. I know Fess at Home made it into some retail settings, and I think at least one other early release in the series also did. But that doesn’t seem to have happened w more recent releases, at least not that I’ve seen, but almost all of them have been on Discogs for decent prices at some point.
i just picked up Donald Harrison on discogs. will look into joining on a 3 month sub!

I think you can usually buy each month off the Shop app for $40. I can't remember how that compares to the sub, but easier to grab when you want something. That's how I've ordered the last couple I wanted.
i tried to but for some reason could only see the option to buy a 3 or 6 month sub and wanted to test it out before diving in.

This thread has been quiet, but I’m gonna revive it by mentioning how excellent each of the last two releases has been — Eddie Bo and Walter Wolfman Washington, particularly the vocals on the latter. Lush with amazing presence (although I’ve come to learn that vocals are a strong suit of my setup, which is slightly odd bc the bulk of the music I listen to on my home setup is instrumental).

I’ve been happy with almost every release but really appreciate these last two.

This thread has been quiet, but I’m gonna revive it by mentioning how excellent each of the last two releases has been — Eddie Bo and Walter Wolfman Washington, particularly the vocals on the latter. Lush with amazing presence (although I’ve come to learn that vocals are a strong suit of my setup, which is slightly odd bc the bulk of the music I listen to on my home setup is instrumental).

I’ve been happy with almost every release but really appreciate these last two.
I need to grab those. Have really enjoyed their releases but weirdly have gotten them all outside of the club and haven’t actually joined yet

Back