The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

My first Jefferson's bottle. I think I expected something more extreme, given the unusual treatment of sitting in intense heat and humidity for an extended amount of time. Maybe some intense barrel character or something? It's actually pretty smooth and very graham crackery. A nice change-up from more straight forward bourbon.

20231222_211236.jpg

Excited to have the opportunity to pick this up:

View attachment 191635
Very nice! I always have a bottle of Evan black bottle on hand. It was my grandpa's house whiskey, and therefore my training wheels/gateway bourbon. I used to buy him EW single barrel bottles every year, and wish I would've set a couple aside since I don't think they offer them anymore. Sheesh, I bought him EH Taylor bottles too, and now thats a lottery only item these days if yer lucky. Whiskey is crazy these days.

tumblr_0ed929abb0f4c1ee205d4471f8a393de_00889411_500.gif

I was at a whiskey bar last week and tried what they called “The Macallan Experience.” It was $20 for 3 1.5 oz pours of these fancy Macallan’s that I’ve never had before. I wasn’t expecting it to come with little boxes that were filled with dried fruit and chocolate to eat alongside each tasting.

Left box was almonds and dark chocolate. Middle box was apricots and white chocolate. Right box was milk chocolate and dried cranberries.

Very cool and each tasting did complement each whisky.

The bottles were just for reference, I was not able to refill 😅

IMG_1330.jpeg

I was at a whiskey bar last week and tried what they called “The Macallan Experience.” It was $20 for 3 1.5 oz pours of these fancy Macallan’s that I’ve never had before. I wasn’t expecting it to come with little boxes that were filled with dried fruit and chocolate to eat alongside each tasting.

Left box was almonds and dark chocolate. Middle box was apricots and white chocolate. Right box was milk chocolate and dried cranberries.

Very cool and each tasting did complement each whisky.

The bottles were just for reference, I was not able to refill 😅

View attachment 191662
Helluva deal

had a 1:00 distillery tour at Michter’s today, which serendipitously was also the exact time they were dropping a limited release. As part of the tour, we were able to skip the line and reserve a purchase: I was able to get a three pack of Michter’s 10 Year Bourbon, Michter’s Barrel Strength Bourbon, and a stanard Michter’s bourbon for…well, not cheap, but way way way less than aftermarket prices. very excited.

I’ve only had Uncut Unfiltered, but liked it very much. Should try some of the other expressions if I can find them here.
I'll be trying out Uncut Unfiltered eventually, since I think its basically the same thing, just with more age. Also about twice as much money of course

I'll be trying out Uncut Unfiltered eventually, since I think its basically the same thing, just with more age. Also about twice as much money of course
I was at a shop out of state that had the three major expressions; I knew it might be a long while before I saw them again since they’re not distributed in VA, so I went for the gusto.

I was at a shop out of state that had the three major expressions; I knew it might be a long while before I saw them again since they’re not distributed in VA, so I went for the gusto.
Love out of state liquor stores. Its the same sort of excitement as hitting an unfamiliar record store. Could be a bud light/Dan Fogelberg kinda place, or maybe a surprise Old Forester single barrel barrel proof/old Japanese pressings honey hole...

20240106_185535.jpg

Last edited:
Back