The Technics Turntable Fan Club - Questions, Advice, Discussion

I have a like new PLX1000 going up in the marketplace.. I'm just not going to delay the inevitable. 1210GR will arrive tomorrow. One of the biggest selling points for me honestly- hinged dustcover.

I'll move the KAB and keep experimenting with Mats.. I've got the Herbies and the Funk Firm to try.

Now I'm done.. stop telling me about shiny new things.. lol.

I love all this talk of upgrades, makes me feel like I was ahead of the curve!

The cue lever works okay, but I agree it feels like an area that could have been improved. I haven't done any upgrades yet and am in no rush, though I have my eventual eye on the damper and a mat upgrade.

I have a like new PLX1000 going up in the marketplace.. I'm just not going to delay the inevitable. 1210GR will arrive tomorrow. One of the biggest selling points for me honestly- hinged dustcover.

I'll move the KAB and keep experimenting with Mats.. I've got the Herbies and the Funk Firm to try.

Now I'm done.. stop telling me about shiny new things.. lol.
Move the KAB? Like sell it? It doesn’t fit the GR.

1210GR has landed! Really great quality on this deck, hoping it lasts more than a week 🙃 but with the spring loaded lift gone I can’t see anything going wrong. Sounds amazing so far. I’ll put some more thoughts about this vs the 1500C for those curious when I’ve spent more time with this deck.

For now I thought some people might be amused by this, I’ve been working on a 1200MK1 and just resolved a RCA continuity issue that killed the left channel. So here they both are in my living room, the 1200 series 50 years apart. Your guess which sounds better lol

241B15D2-5B72-4A2F-AED9-0BA4BE0B271D.jpegF09CAA89-527D-4734-B988-DDC99530F631.jpeg9CB47033-679C-45A7-BC9A-A9553E87BC2A.jpegACA89D91-2099-4750-B91F-1C3EFB4F3A25.jpeg

1210GR has landed! Really great quality on this deck, hoping it lasts more than a week 🙃 but with the spring loaded lift gone I can’t see anything going wrong. Sounds amazing so far. I’ll put some more thoughts about this vs the 1500C for those curious when I’ve spent more time with this deck.

For now I thought some people might be amused by this, I’ve been working on a 1200MK1 and just resolved a RCA continuity issue that killed the left channel. So here they both are in my living room, the 1200 series 50 years apart. Your guess which sounds better lol

View attachment 135579View attachment 135581View attachment 135582View attachment 135583
Congrats! Love seeing both next to each other!!

Mine is still out for delivery.. Fed Ex killing me today.. lol

Got my SL-1210GR today. Bought a Funk Firm APM-1200 glass composite platter mat at the same time.

Got it all set up and roughed in the VTA. I’ll measure later. But I’m close with good old math.

And…..I’m impressed. I’m using the same cartridge that I had on the MoFi.

The two sound different, but both are great choices.

So about the G…I wonder how much better it could be. At the same time, the GR sounds so good that I don’t care.
View attachment 135159

Still to come is a KAB damper. Should be here Wednesday.
Honestly can’t see myself ever wanting to upgrade from the GR. Mat, feet and headshell and it’s pretty much job done. They’re fantastic tables

Little update after a few hours of use.

Got mine set up with the Hana SL I received from @AnthonyI last night and I’m using the Herbies Mat for the time being. Sounds great!!

I love the Matte finish on the 1210. Love the hinged dust over. I miss the cart holder on the PLX. I assumed that was something they stole from Technics and hadn’t noticed that the 1200’s don’t have them.

I will echo what @HiFi Guy said about the tonearm lifter… it ain’t great, even compared to the PLX1000.

The Technics is a better table.. it sounds excellent, and if history is an indication the Technics is super reliable and should operate for the rest of my life. Is it worth $1000 more than the PLX? Not sure about that from a sound perspective but I’m pleased from a use and peace of mind standpoint. Having the 1210 has made me appreciate both tables more for different reasons. I appreciate the value that the PLX represents a bit more, and I now realize what the fuss is about with the Technics.

More to come.

Last edited:
I'm also really enjoying the 1210GR, about 12-ish LPs in. Really great sound and great feel to this deck. I also love the matte finish @Slimwhit33 — these decks look even nicer IRL than they do in product shots. My platter is also dead flat. I'm running it stock-ish, replaced headshell with an older MK2 style one (don't like short handle), RCAs with a 3-foot run of LC-1. This is likely all the turntable most of us will ever need.

For those curious about this deck vs the 1500c, I'll give some quick thoughts. Beyond the obvious upgraded arm and motor, the biggest differences are in materials. The feel is immediately different with the BMC base vs plastic/fiberglass, the GR is actually more svelte and dense than the entry models. Buttons are much improved, back to the expected quality of 1200s. Cueing is better damped but I don't have a big issue with 1500c's cueing. Feet are improved greatly as is the included RCA cable (not that I use it). The motor responsiveness is even tighter, truly a joy to hit that start button. About the only thing I liked more on the 1500c is platter removal. There's not a lot of clearance on the GR for my medium sized fingers, I pity the fat-fingered among us lol. Small potatoes of course.

Sonically I think the GR is better, but it's also hard to not say that the $500 extra I paid out isn't influencing my brain lol. I would say any of these new Techs should best legacy models, but I'd stick to the MK7 and GR and avoid the 1500c/100c due to the auto-lift snafu I had. My next step with the deck will likely be to add a disco Little Fwend. For our living room use we kinda miss the peace of mind.

Maybe. I know I saw a thread out there on Audiogon about a 1210GR with the “wobble”. Not sure if it ended up legit as I wasn’t that concerned.

As is mine. I think the issue was more with the G.

I think they had some issues with GR too but these were early days, one of the reasons I waited a while till the dust settled and the kinks were worked out. Then there was the whole "dot dance" non-controversy perpetrated by people who had never used a strobed cast platter before.

Back