The Taproom (aka Anything and Everything Beer)

This is probably anathema to this thread, but since I can’t drink normal beers, I’m investigating low/NA beers to see if I can find one that doesn’t suck.

It’s the end of summer and I enjoy a beer, which I haven’t had in like almost three years now. That’s it. So I’m gonna make my little Labor Day weekend project a little taste experiment. I’ve heard good things about Dogfish Head’s offering, same with Clausthaler (sp?) and that “Athletic” label has been getting some reasonably decent reviews. Anything I should watch for (or avoid)?

NA stuff has come such a long way since the craft boom, Mrs Moore drinks it quite a lot. Almost any of the offerings from the small brewers over here are actually really drinkable and taste incredibly 'beery'. I'm sure the American brewers are doing just as good a job too. One of the bigger brewers that are probably available over there too, Leffe from Belgium, their NA offering is really good if you like the Belgian blonde style.

This is probably anathema to this thread, but since I can’t drink normal beers, I’m investigating low/NA beers to see if I can find one that doesn’t suck.

It’s the end of summer and I enjoy a beer, which I haven’t had in like almost three years now. That’s it. So I’m gonna make my little Labor Day weekend project a little taste experiment. I’ve heard good things about Dogfish Head’s offering, same with Clausthaler (sp?) and that “Athletic” label has been getting some reasonably decent reviews. Anything I should watch for (or avoid)?

I’ve found hop water to be weirdly refreshing.
Lagunitas has a hop water that I’ve heard people say is really good. I keep meaning to try it but I always forget when I’m in the beer store. I also recently had a Grapefruit Radler from a German brewery that should be readily available in an imported section that was only 2.5% Abv. It was delicious 😋

Lagunitas has a hop water that I’ve heard people say is really good. I keep meaning to try it but I always forget when I’m in the beer store. I also recently had a Grapefruit Radler from a German brewery that should be readily available in an imported section that was only 2.5% Abv. It was delicious 😋
I’ve grabbed these for today’s lakeside adventure. For science.
image.jpg

but I’m going to keep an eye out for that Lagunitas. I like their other stuff and I think my shop carries it. I’ll grab that and the Dogfish Head next time.

I’ve grabbed these for today’s lakeside adventure. For science.

but I’m going to keep an eye out for that Lagunitas. I like their other stuff and I think my shop carries it. I’ll grab that and the Dogfish Head next time.

How were they??

I've heard good things about Athletic Brewing but have not yet tried them. I had a friend who tried a few different brands during a dry January, and Brooklyn Brewery Special Effects was his favorite.

I was going to say I'm not sure how their distribution is, but Since it's NA they apparently just do mail order.

I think it's great how much that market has grown since the O'Douls days. You can actually get Lager, or golden, or IPA, or a Gose that is NA. Pretty cool!

How were they??

I've heard good things about Athletic Brewing but have not yet tried them. I had a friend who tried a few different brands during a dry January, and Brooklyn Brewery Special Effects was his favorite.

I was going to say I'm not sure how their distribution is, but Since it's NA they apparently just do mail order.

I think it's great how much that market has grown since the O'Douls days. You can actually get Lager, or golden, or IPA, or a Gose that is NA. Pretty cool!
They were…fine? I guess. The Athletic were definitely the weaker of the 3. The corona knockoff was really carbonated without a lot of flavor. Maybe adding a lime would have helped. The Upside Down Golden was very lemony. Like maybe too much so. Kinda reminded me of a thinner version of a Sam Adams summer ale.

The darker Clausthaler probably tasted the best. All 3 lacked a bit of body, but I could see myself going back to the dry hopped Clausthaler. I’ll need to try it with a brat. You know, for science.

None of them are going to fool anyone, but might be a passable substitute - particularly in the fall - until I can get back to the real deal.

• Cheers
Reactions: mgp
If anyone here is near Pittsburgh, it looks like one of my favorite local breweries (Aslin) is opening a taproom up there in Pennsylvania!

Reactions: mgp
"What the heck?! Is something we say often around here...especially in the last 16 months.
As in:
What the heck...where the last 16 months just a dream? Ah What the heck, let's throw some more hops!

To new beginnings, to resets, and to new and old rekindled friendships. Cheers! 🍻
20210915_164523.jpg

Last edited:
Back