The Stoned Ape & Clint Howard's Super Rappy Vinyl Sub Thing

im down to help in any way i can. i say to make this viable id need to see bigger artists and releases from the era to gain interest / momentum. im not saying repress shit most of us have on vinyl like the chronic or doggystyle (thanks vmp for nuthin) but stuff like az's do or die, company flow, some of the harder to fins def jux / rawkus, etc. yall know where im going with this.

i think you have to juggle financial success and make it popular so the subscriptions are many to start and that the profits can be passed off to establish the best quality presses / artist interest and allowance of their old catalog / collect ability.

im more interested in finding the best folks to actually do the tangible side of mastering / pressing / mailing / etc.

also; im an artist so id have no problem joining any kind of co-op if youll have me a contribute art-wise. it sounds like a bunch of 40+ classic old heads that were all apart of and trying to target. hopefully it also allows these kids to expand their musical horizons today and navigate out of the mumble rap fisher price beats generatation.

im down to help in any way i can. i say to make this viable id need to see bigger artists and releases from the era to gain interest / momentum. im not saying repress shit most of us have on vinyl like the chronic or doggystyle (thanks vmp for nuthin) but stuff like az's do or die, company flow, some of the harder to fins def jux / rawkus, etc. yall know where im going with this.

i think you have to juggle financial success and make it popular so the subscriptions are many to start and that the profits can be passed off to establish the best quality presses / artist interest and allowance of their old catalog / collect ability.

im more interested in finding the best folks to actually do the tangible side of mastering / pressing / mailing / etc.

also; im an artist so id have no problem joining any kind of co-op if youll have me a contribute art-wise. it sounds like a bunch of 40+ classic old heads that were all apart of and trying to target. hopefully it also allows these kids to expand their musical horizons today and navigate out of the mumble rap fisher price beats generatation.

i think we're still looking for an artist so i'd love to see some of your artwork if you could give us a link .. eh @The_Stoned_Ape ?

peep my insta. i do mostly skin related work, but im a mostly metaphorical artist that likes to get involved in the story that drives the art. i paint, draw and work in digital formats. being a tattooist i handle a number of styles reasonably well. main thing is my passion for music and the stories behind how / why these folks made the music is what i would derive the inspiration of my art from.

i think we're still looking for an artist so i'd love to see some of your artwork if you could give us a link .. eh @The_Stoned_Ape ?

peep my insta. i do mostly skin related work, but im a mostly metaphorical artist that likes to get involved in the story that drives the art. i paint, draw and work in digital formats. being a tattooist i handle a number of styles reasonably well. main thing is my passion for music and the stories behind how / why these folks made the music is what i would derive the inspiration of my art from.
I might commission you on something entirely unrelated to this in the near future.

Glad we are one the same page with LUM. And I think he has a pretty dedicated fanbase. When I caught him last year he sold that show out with no problem, and was selling merch like crazy.

Also how you not have that damn Secret Circle 7" yet?! I think I probably spent more money completing the LUM collection then I spent on any other single artist.

I still really regret not buying that secret circle 7-inch. I just didn't feel like paying for it at the time and knew that I was making a mistake, especially with Despot on it. I also regret not picking up Despot's "The Cat Be Unemployed" shirt when I saw him opening on the Into The Wild Tour with EL-P and Killer Mike, back in 2012.

Oh... and the guy behind that Secret Circle t-shirt and other art is releasing a book on Albert Hoffman and Bicycle Day next month. I got sent and advanced copy to review and it's pretty slick looking so far.

I also fucked off on grabbing that 3 Sided tape and am having issues tracking it now. I ordered it from a site last week that, quite expectedly, told me that it turns out that they don't really have the stock. I used to own the 3 Sided tapes in that clamshell box, but I sold it.

Right now, I have the pre-order Anthology box, the MTI tape, that black MTI cover from Hundebiss (3rd pressing), the yellow MTI repress, the Undewater Tank, and the Doing An Evil Deed Blues 7-inch.

@Clint Howard I'm totally with you on that Evil Deed Blues, too. I played that at a dance party I was DJ-ing and then on my radio show. I bought the long sleeve with that kid choking a turkey vulture on the back, too. I love that track.

Last edited:
I still really like the idea of super underground shit that mostly blew up in local scenes. On a different note, though, one album that never got a physical release from the last decade, which bothered me, was 100s - Ice Cold Perm. It probably wouldn't fit with what you guys are doing, but I thought dude had promise. Then he changed his name to Kossiko, scrapped the whole persona, and started singing R&B tunes.

Things moving along quickly if we wanted to do t hat M.C. Def Ski release. He actually just sent me 2 more sealed copies and signed inserts just because I helped him do those shirts. Totally open to doing a 7'' or a 10'' release.

@Clint Howard @Enaz Fox check it out!
View attachment 5318

Dope, very dope. We could probably do a 7"? I mean, why the eff not.

Things moving along quickly if we wanted to do t hat M.C. Def Ski release. He actually just sent me 2 more sealed copies and signed inserts just because I helped him do those shirts. Totally open to doing a 7'' or a 10'' release.

View attachment 5318

I could only find one song on Youtube, very interested in hearing the rest of this.
10" might be better for sound quality.

I could only find one song on Youtube, very interested in hearing the rest of this.
10" might be better for sound quality.
Yeah it'll have to be 10'' due to timestamps anyway. Just 4 tracks, but juuuuuust slightly over a 7'' length.

Def Ski is 100% ready to work, and is totally open to just giving me and Clint the reigns on this.

I would just send you the files...but I kinda wanna make you wait until we actually press it muahahahaha!

View attachment 5318
Yeah it'll have to be 10'' due to timestamps anyway. Just 4 tracks, but juuuuuust slightly over a 7'' length.

Def Ski is 100% ready to work, and is totally open to just giving me and Clint the reigns on this.

I would just send you the files...but I kinda wanna make you wait until we actually press it muahahahaha!

Just checked this out!!! I'm in for some MC Def Ski and whatever comes after! Great stuff @Clint Howard @The_Stoned_Ape

Of course I'm especially in for the Memphis Tapes. I need all the Pimps on vinyl! All the Shawty, Skinny, and Evil Pimp you can give me! 'Shawty Pimp n Red Dog - Comin Real Wit It' would really take this thing to another level too

Just checked this out!!! I'm in for some MC Def Ski and whatever comes after! Great stuff @Clint Howard @The_Stoned_Ape

Of course I'm especially in for the Memphis Tapes. I need all the Pimps on vinyl! All the Shawty, Skinny, and Evil Pimp you can give me! 'Shawty Pimp n Red Dog - Comin Real Wit It' would really take this thing to another level too

We're working on it still! Slowed down a bit by my recent new job and the shenanigans going on in Nola but we'll see the initial release later this year!

Back