The Return of the Challenge Thread - February 2020

This looks very, very interesting.

EDIT: Found a playlist on Spotify in case anyone else is interested.

It’s a fantastic compilation! Not all funk tracks but it gives a good insight into pre-revolution Iran and its music. It also has tracks from Selda and Googoosh, who are two of the bigger stars from that era, alongside artists with very little info online.

Day 1 - Black History Month

Been on a huge Grant Green kick, and when you add Ike Quebec Into the mix you get a soulfully beautiful sound that eases the mind and keeps all worries and troubles at bay. Essentially, today we are Blue and Sentimental.

Gorgeous, classic album.
f2FQQ30.jpg

Last edited:
It’s a fantastic compilation! Not all funk tracks but it gives a good insight into pre-revolution Iran and its music. It also has tracks from Selda and Googoosh, who are two of the bigger stars from that era, alongside artists with very little info online.
I loved it, I'm currently waiting to see how much it'll cost to ship from Germany.
Awesome pick

Day 3 - What’s That Smell?
Spin something Funky

I know I said I could spin Headhunters again, but this is the perfect opportunity to spin some N&G Secret Santa Gifts!

Detroit Rising ‎– A Cosmic Jazz Funk Adventure

The record is sea-foam clear, so hopefully you can see the galaxy slipmat underneath! Both were gifts. Thanks Santa! 😻

IMG_20200203_161051.jpgIMG_20200203_161035.jpg

Day 3: We Want The Funk

Various Artists - Cold Heat - Heavy Funk Rarities 1968-1974 Vol.1

I put this Now Again comp on whenever I want to get moving. I worked from home today so I got on a little bit of a funk run after this. One of the more interesting ones in my collection is King Britt Presents Sylk 130 ‎– When The Funk Hits The Fan. It's a concept album that follows a day in the life of a late 70s teenage DJ.

IMG_20200203_085312.jpg

Day 3: We Want The Funk

Various Artists - Cold Heat - Heavy Funk Rarities 1968-1974 Vol.1

I put this Now Again comp on whenever I want to get moving. I worked from home today so I got on a little bit of a funk run after this. One of the more interesting ones in my collection is King Britt Presents Sylk 130 ‎– When The Funk Hits The Fan. It's a concept album that follows a day in the life of a late 70s teenage DJ.

View attachment 31453

That Sylk 130 album is no joke! Absolutely a defining album of my senior year of high school. Seems like every party I went to had "The Reason" on full blast.

Day 4 - Icy

The xx

When I'm asked that dreaded question "what type of music do you like?" I often answer rather flippantly - everything except electronic. It's not quite true but I'm not sure I have a record I'd call out and out electronic. But I love the chilled out nature of this, and it feels rather icy to me (which is spot on as we've had our first proper snow for ages here).

20200204_082201.jpg

Back