The Return of the Challenge Thread - February 2020

Day 2: Happy Groundhog Day!

Arthur Verocai - Arthur Verocai

Even as I slowly chip away at the breadth of Tropicalia music, I always come back to this one. The unparalleled arrangements here always push me to hyperbole and compare this closely to albums like Forever Changes and Odessey & Oracle.

F12C35FC-1B99-4325-B2AF-C9BDBB09884A.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 2: Happy Groundhog Day!

Arthur Verocai - Arthur Verocai

Even as I slowly chip away at the breadth of Tropicalia music, I always come back to this one. The unparalleled arrangements here always push me to hyperbole and compare this closely to albums like Forever Changes and Odessey & Oracle.

View attachment 31301

Almost picked this one!

Day 2 - Happy Groundhogs Day!

Tom Waits - Nighthawks At The Diner (Anti, 2018 Pressing On Red Vinyl)

Moving away from jazz (as theres too many to choose from) and Tom Waits is someone I could listen to on repeat. I love his patter and wordplay on this album, it would of been fantastic to have been in the audience.

IMG_2900.JPG

Day 3 - funky

Rail Band - Buffet Hotel de la Gare Bamako

One of the great African funk records. Rail Band are probably Mali's greatest band and a lot of their records go for stupid money, including this one. Good job Superfly Records reissued it, and it's my favourite release of theirs by a long distance.

20200203_101519.jpg

Day 3 - funky

Rail Band - Buffet Hotel de la Gare Bamako

One of the great African funk records. Rail Band are probably Mali's greatest band and a lot of their records go for stupid money, including this one. Good job Superfly Records reissued it, and it's my favourite release of theirs by a long distance.

View attachment 31359
Oh man I have been after this one for ages.

Last edited:
Day 2 - Happy Groundhogs Day!
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

This is kind of hard for me because I feel this way about most albums I love, but I used to play this one on repeat driving back and forth from college in the middle of the night singing/screaming along cathartically, so it was the first to pop into my head.

IMG_20200203_105729.jpg

Back