The Return of the Challenge Thread - February 2020

Day 2 - Happy Groundhog’s Day

My favorite hip-Hop release of 2019, and in my top 2-3 of the year overall, Bandana is an album I really haven’t grown tired of yet. It’s an amazing cinematic journey of an album.

According to Spotify, “Fake Names” was my second most played song of 2019. An instant classic for me.
6ahszRH.jpg

Day 4 - It’s Icy out

DJ Kicks - Peggy Gou (2019 on !K7 Records - Limited to 100 copies)

The 'Enhanced Limited Edition' copy of Peggy Gou's DJ Kicks. 2LP gatefold is signed by Peggy, and includes a polaroid collage and a lenticular postcard (the album cover with/without the tiger). I picked this up without realising just how limited it was, and the price has rocketed on ebay/discogs (one went for around £100 which is insane).

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

Day 4 - It’s Icy out
Spin your coldest IDM/Electronic/Ambient record
21859F85-629B-4722-9521-3D3122C459B2.jpeg
Telefon Tel Aviv - Fahrenheit Fair Enough
For me IDM was always the comedown music that I enjoyed after a party or concert or while studying (definitely more often the former than the latter). Nowadays it’s more often my soundtrack while reading or working. It’s headphone music, more intimate and personal than a lot of the music I enjoy. Telefon Tele Aviv’s debut Fahrenheit Fair Enough is chalked full of glitchy meditative goodness.

Day 4: It’s Icy Out

Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

View attachment 31547

I’m SO thankful this pick hadn’t been played yet, it’s one of only a handful of electronic albums I have and the only IDM album I have.
LOL! I have to thank VMP for releasing the FlyLo records. I didn’t realize how much of a niche style Electric/IDM was. I actually updated the challenge to include Ambient music too hopefully it opens it up a bit more.

Last edited:
Day 5 - OG

Afua Adjepong - The Chaker

In classic style, I realised in an attempt to try to play as many black artists this month as possible I was in danger of not doing very well on a different type of diversity: gender. I don't have that many African records by females but this is a great pop/reggae album from 1980 on the mighty Essiebons label from Ghana. Often, I find the female vocals from this era in West Africa are rather childish - there's a bit of that here but it's still a fantastic set of songs.

20200205_110601.jpg

Back