The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

One Hundred Years of Solitude is my favorite book of all time. You know how some people say The Giver or The Alchemist is the book that had a profound, lifelong impact on them? Yeah, One Hundred Years is mine. I'll never forget the first time I read it.

I loved this too. I read Love in the Time of Cholera in my twenties and thought it one of the best things ever (I still do), and it took me another 20 years getting around to One Hundred Years but wow, it's such a great book. For a writer to have one work that special is something but to have two that are this good, well, one could only dream of being that skilled.

My master's is in Latin American lit, and once I presented at an academic conference a paper looking at the many similarities between One Hundred Years of Solitude and the show Arrested Development. Normally you're lucky to have a handful of people in the audience at those conferences, but this was one time that I presented to a packed room.

As for García Márquez, I'm also a bit partial to The Autumn of the Patriarch (which is bit of a more difficult read) and Chronicle of a Death Foretold (a bit easier).

Last edited:
One Hundred Years of Solitude is my favorite book of all time. You know how some people say The Giver or The Alchemist is the book that had a profound, lifelong impact on them? Yeah, One Hundred Years is mine. I'll never forget the first time I read it.
This is also one of my all time favorites. I reread it a couple years ago, and according to goodreads, I finished in the exact day that I finished reading it the first time five years earlier. That's the synchronicity of time, baby.

How did you like The Name of the Rose? I recently read Foucault's Pendulum and while I enjoyed it, I also found it a little too intellectual and not, I dunno, character- or really plot-based enough to really keep my interest all the time.

I'm also hoping to read In Cold Blood very soon. It's another title that's been high on my to-read list for too long.

The Name of the Rose was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. It wasn't bad per se but the mystery element that I was particularly excited about was not really that mysterious and the solutions could have seemed sort of Scooby Dooish under a lesser writer if that makes sense. I'd only read Eco's Island of the Day Before prior to this and remember really digging it at the time. I wouldn't say NotR is bad, it just didn't live up to my expectations and the often lengthy Latin paragraphs left me scratching my head if they weren't instantly followed by an explainer in English which only happens some of the time.

In Cold Blood on the other hand was mesmerising. It's the first true crime novel I've ever read I think and it truly is a masterclass in narrative journalism. How much Capote took liberties I guess I'll never know but it sort of doesn't matter. As a novel it is just wonderful, classy writing about the most abhorrent aspects of certain people.

I'm currently reading Creative Quest by Questlove and it's not totally grabbing me...but I'll plow forward for another couple chapters.
I just finished Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle volume 3 and am going to order volume 4 this weekend, along with War and Peace and A Prayer for Owen Meany. PLUS, I have a Janis Joplin bio and Levon Helm's Wheel's on Fire in queue, as soon as I'm ready for another music bio.

Looks like a great list, I've only read a few of these...I highly recommend Anna Karenina and Oryx and Crake.
Have you read Crime and Punishment?
Yes. I Loooooooooved Crime and Punishment.

This is AMAZING!

7 of your top 10 to read books are in my top 20 fave books list. You have exquisite taste. Bleak House is Dickens’ best imo, even though my favorite of his still David Copperfield. Yes yes I know.

I made a book TikTok video where I discussed favorite books for certain scenarios. It got me started on re-reading The Possessed by Dostoyevsky.

Actually, fuck it I’ll link it.

I love David Copperfield! And your review of Bleak House is motivating me to get further than 443 pages through it.

• Love
Reactions: Tyr
In Cold Blood is mindblowing. It's journalism at it's finest. I think the creepy thing about In Cold Blood is the sheer randomness of it. It could have been any well-to-do family.

Semi related: when I don't want people to talk to me in public (like at an airport), I'll bring Helter Skelter and reread parts of it.

I'm not the most prolific reader in the world. Somewhere in my twenties I pretty much quit reading completely getting through maybe two books a year at best. A few years ago I made a concerted effort to try and start reading again and I managed 8 books a year for 2019 and 2020. I set myself the challenge of reading 10 books this year and its been a great first quarter, I've managed 12! So, I've upped my challenge to 15 (I start work again next month so I know I'll slow down significantly). Here's my past few years:

View attachment 92557
View attachment 92558

This kindle app only lets me display 9 at a time so this year is split over 2 pics, starting the year with The Trial and just finishing Mann's Death in Venice and other short stories today. Not sure what I'm moving onto next but I thing Auster's 4321.
View attachment 92560
View attachment 92559

I loved this too. I read Love in the Time of Cholera in my twenties and thought it one of the best things ever (I still do), and it took me another 20 years getting around to One Hundred Years but wow, it's such a great book. For a writer to have one work that special is something but to have two that are this good, well, one could only dream of being that skilled.
So many great books in here. I want to read Talented Mr Ripley. I saw the newer version with Matt Damon a year or so ago and then just a few months ago watched Purple Noon which is an even better depiction of that novel.

Everyone in this thread is so inspiring and making me so excited about reading these awesome books! I think part of me hesitates to read them because I want to still have some of the all-time greats to look forward to, but you can always re-read the best ones I guess, because they don’t always rely so heavily on the element of surprise.

Yes. I Loooooooooved Crime and Punishment.

This is one of my favourites too. I was in my first full time job at a tape library for a TV station (back when TV stations recorded on tapes) and in the evenings it was very, very, very quiet. So, I spent my hours reading C&P over a few weeks and it just blew my mind how ahead of it's time it is. Predating Freud's work by a good few decades and yet it reads like a modern psychological thriller, and the cinematic descriptions made me think Lang and Hitchcock must have been fans. The scene where Ras stands on one side of a door and an inquisitor on the other, the way Dostoevsky describes that back and forth just had me sweating for him. Love it, such a good book.

Finished Klara and the Sun the other day. Really good book; it's very much of a piece with Ishiguro's other work. To read the premise, it kinda sounds like you'll get another Never Let Me Go, but it's definitely its own thing. I'd love to hear what anyone reading it thinks; as is typical for Ishiguro's storytelling style, I'm left with many feelings and just as many questions.

Namely:

What happened to the homeless man and his dog? The book hews reliably to Klara's perspective, and while sometimes she's very perceptive, there are other times she thinks one thing is happening when something completely different is happening.

Is the homeless man just asleep? The dog is still as well, which makes me wonder. Or did the sun really bring him back to life, so to speak? Is that occurrence supposed to be the litmus test of what we're supposed to think happened to Josie? That if we believe the sun really brought the homeless man back to life, then it really was the sun which returned Josie to health? And if we think Klara's "deal" with the sun had nothing to do with Josie's recovery, likewise Klara simply didn't understand what happened to the homeless man?

Now I'm delving into Warlock by Oakley Hall. The prose is really great; it's a bit of a dense read, but sentence-to-sentence it's very enjoyable.
I finished Klara and the Sun this afternoon. Despite taking a couple weeks, when I sat down to read I just wanted to keep going. It really drew me in and I couldn’t stop wanting to go back to it. Really enjoyed it.

the ending initially left me a little lukewarm but I did enjoy the final final bit with the manager. I was expecting a different ending, I guess. Like with regards to the homeless man, I assumed Klara’s perception of that was wrong. The whole time I was feeling she just wasn’t right about the powers of the sun. And it made me sad the whole time, feeling like she was on this fruitless mission. And I suppose it’s still up in the air or open to interpretation. It seems like the sun did actually heal both the homeless man and Josie, but maybe I’m just not reading it deeply enough and there’s something else going on. I also am curious about the whole pollution machine thing as well as the idea that AFs are becoming less and less trusted towards the end of the novel. We only get her perspective so a lot is left open. I gotta think about it some more.

now I have heard there’s already a film adaptation in the works, and I’m curious how they’ll play or not with the perspective.

The Name of the Rose was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. It wasn't bad per se but the mystery element that I was particularly excited about was not really that mysterious and the solutions could have seemed sort of Scooby Dooish under a lesser writer if that makes sense. I'd only read Eco's Island of the Day Before prior to this and remember really digging it at the time. I wouldn't say NotR is bad, it just didn't live up to my expectations and the often lengthy Latin paragraphs left me scratching my head if they weren't instantly followed by an explainer in English which only happens some of the time.

In Cold Blood on the other hand was mesmerising. It's the first true crime novel I've ever read I think and it truly is a masterclass in narrative journalism. How much Capote took liberties I guess I'll never know but it sort of doesn't matter. As a novel it is just wonderful, classy writing about the most abhorrent aspects of certain people.
I really enjoyed The Name of the Rose. And while I agree that it is not Eco’s best, I still think it is lovely for what it is. I didn’t go into the read expecting a traditional modern mystery though so my expectations were somewhat tempered. It may have appealed to me more because of my deep affinity for theology. Approached with a focus on theological concepts and different schools of thought, I’d say it was very successful.

I love David Copperfield! And your review of Bleak House is motivating me to get further than 443 pages through it.
Oh I hope you end up enjoying it! My tastes are somewhat focused so the dramas and tragedies appeal to me more so than the average reader. I think it extends to my movie choices too. Who can know these things? Maybe I’m just predictable 🤷🏻‍♂️

David Copperfield is one of those books I read as a child and every year or two when I reread it I take away something very different than on previous reads. 💜

I finished Klara and the Sun this afternoon. Despite taking a couple weeks, when I sat down to read I just wanted to keep going. It really drew me in and I couldn’t stop wanting to go back to it. Really enjoyed it.

the ending initially left me a little lukewarm but I did enjoy the final final bit with the manager. I was expecting a different ending, I guess. Like with regards to the homeless man, I assumed Klara’s perception of that was wrong. The whole time I was feeling she just wasn’t right about the powers of the sun. And it made me sad the whole time, feeling like she was on this fruitless mission. And I suppose it’s still up in the air or open to interpretation. It seems like the sun did actually heal both the homeless man and Josie, but maybe I’m just not reading it deeply enough and there’s something else going on. I also am curious about the whole pollution machine thing as well as the idea that AFs are becoming less and less trusted towards the end of the novel. We only get her perspective so a lot is left open. I gotta think about it some more.

now I have heard there’s already a film adaptation in the works, and I’m curious how they’ll play or not with the perspective.
Oh boy, so glad to get into this:

I agree, I think the reader is supposed to feel Klara's "agreement" with the sun is a result of Klara's misguided perceptions of the world, her narrow perception of the forces that keep her world alive and running, just like many people attribute the inexplicable to any number of higher powers. It seemed like a major theme was the nature of love and what constituted "real" love and/or personhood. Josie's father is the emotional key to that, if you ask me; he starts out wary of Klara specifically because of her role in the "portrait." His major issue with the portrait was that you can't "engineer" a personality, you can't engineer love. Klara (literally) embodied a challenge to his belief, and while I think Klara has a point in the end about it being futile to make her replicate Josie, Klara's hope of saving Josie's health was a different sort of challenge to the father's belief. The fact that Klara was willing to give up a part of herself to sabotage the Cootings machine (which seemed to me like a paving machine or some road construction equipment of that sort) was emotionally affecting for the father. The mission wasn't fruitless because of the significance it held for Klara, and the lesson that held for Josie's father.

But yeah, the ending came kinda quick, with the portrait man coming back wanting to take Klara apart (it seemed), and then Josie ending up in a dump despite promises she'd be taken care of. It sounded to me like the AFs all had an internal life like Klara's, and developed complex feelings about the world, which unsettled a lot of people, for the worse. The portrait man wanted to reverse-engineer Klara's worldview (and love) in order to make it less scary to the world. The mom landed somewhere in the middle of the dad and the portrait man; she understood you could engineer a loving, "real" being like Klara, but to her Klara deserved her "slow fade." Josie's mom chose to let the mystery be. Even if she then turned around and threw Klara out like a dangass Furby.

Oddly enough, I was expecting a sadder ending; I thought I'd be more gutted than I was. But somehow leaving Klara fading away in a garbage dump was perfectly bittersweet. Klara really did seem to feel she'd done what she was meant to with her "life," and was content with fading away with her memories to keep her company. Which again feels like a prodding of what makes life: Klara had more love, purpose, and gratification in her "life" than many "real people."

A movie of this book would either be the best, most bonkers and inscrutable piece of work ever. Or it'd be Bicentennial Man 2.

Oh boy, so glad to get into this:

I agree, I think the reader is supposed to feel Klara's "agreement" with the sun is a result of Klara's misguided perceptions of the world, her narrow perception of the forces that keep her world alive and running, just like many people attribute the inexplicable to any number of higher powers. It seemed like a major theme was the nature of love and what constituted "real" love and/or personhood. Josie's father is the emotional key to that, if you ask me; he starts out wary of Klara specifically because of her role in the "portrait." His major issue with the portrait was that you can't "engineer" a personality, you can't engineer love. Klara (literally) embodied a challenge to his belief, and while I think Klara has a point in the end about it being futile to make her replicate Josie, Klara's hope of saving Josie's health was a different sort of challenge to the father's belief. The fact that Klara was willing to give up a part of herself to sabotage the Cootings machine (which seemed to me like a paving machine or some road construction equipment of that sort) was emotionally affecting for the father. The mission wasn't fruitless because of the significance it held for Klara, and the lesson that held for Josie's father.

But yeah, the ending came kinda quick, with the portrait man coming back wanting to take Klara apart (it seemed), and then Josie ending up in a dump despite promises she'd be taken care of. It sounded to me like the AFs all had an internal life like Klara's, and developed complex feelings about the world, which unsettled a lot of people, for the worse. The portrait man wanted to reverse-engineer Klara's worldview (and love) in order to make it less scary to the world. The mom landed somewhere in the middle of the dad and the portrait man; she understood you could engineer a loving, "real" being like Klara, but to her Klara deserved her "slow fade." Josie's mom chose to let the mystery be. Even if she then turned around and threw Klara out like a dangass Furby.

Oddly enough, I was expecting a sadder ending; I thought I'd be more gutted than I was. But somehow leaving Klara fading away in a garbage dump was perfectly bittersweet. Klara really did seem to feel she'd done what she was meant to with her "life," and was content with fading away with her memories to keep her company. Which again feels like a prodding of what makes life: Klara had more love, purpose, and gratification in her "life" than many "real people."

A movie of this book would either be the best, most bonkers and inscrutable piece of work ever. Or it'd be Bicentennial Man 2.
ah yes I definitely connect with what you’re saying. Her making that choice to give up a part of herself is an important part of the entire theme you’re talking about. I hadn’t quite put it together that way before, but I get it all now. There’s still more to think about for me regarding this and especially how she ends up.

also yes I was expecting the ending to be much bleaker. I mean I do feel that hit of sadness with her ending up in a dump, but I guess she served her purpose in some way. Bittersweet is the right word. I also like the idea of the slow fade out for her and how that even applies to Josie - as she is able to continue to grow up. It’s a much more hopeful-ish ending than I expected.

Some thick ones in there!! Strong work!

I've set my goal on goodreads every year since like 2012 maybe, originally hitting around 40 or 50 at one point, but in recent years it's been closer to 30. This year I made it a goal, to NOT have a number to shoot for and instead to just read what I want, when I want regardless of length or time it'll take me to read. It's been great so far. Reading rules!

Edit: Also, I've been in a sci fi book club with some friends since 2017, and I think The Memory Police is going to be our next book! Once I finish Anna Karenina, I think I'll start that one.
I’ve been very guilty of overestimating how many books I can read this year; I picked 40 (last year I did 38 on a goal of 35), so I have to stay on pace reading one a week or so. However, Warlock might break me from that impulse; I’m only 40 pages in after a week. While I’m enjoying it, it’s not a quick read, and I think it’s a good thing that I’m being forced to just read it at the pace it takes, rather than barrel through for the sake of some self-imposed metric.

I was really poised to have a strong quarantine reading year, but having a baby annihilated my attention span even more than Twitter already had. Someday....someday, when I sleep more than 3 hours at a time again...someday I'll get back to my to-read list.

Ooh, I did my college senior seminar paper on Bleak House! Big fan! I should probably read it someday.

I was really poised to have a strong quarantine reading year, but having a baby annihilated my attention span even more than Twitter already had. Someday....someday, when I sleep more than 3 hours at a time again...someday I'll get back to my to-read list.

Ooh, I did my college senior seminar paper on Bleak House! Big fan! I should probably read it someday.
So did I! That guilt haunts me to this day.

In high school I discovered had the power of being able to bullshit really well, and once for our unit exam in AP English, we had to write an in-class essay on Antigone. I thought I was screwed because I had only read about a quarter of it, so I took things I remembered from the lessons, from the bits I had read, threw in some metaphors and left hoping I didn't fail.

A few days later, when we all got our essays back, the teacher gave everyone a photocopy of an essay with the name blanked out so everyone could have an example of what she was looking for- it was mine.

In high school I discovered had the power of being able to bullshit really well, and once for our unit exam in AP English, we had to write an in-class essay on Antigone. I thought I was screwed because I had only read about a quarter of it, so I took things I remembered from the lessons, from the bits I had read, threw in some metaphors and left hoping I didn't fail.

A few days later, when we all got our essays back, the teacher gave everyone a photocopy of an essay with the name blanked out so everyone could have an example of what she was looking for- it was mine.
Did something similar with Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart. Missed most of the classes in a semester, showed up to the midterm and spat out an essay, then didn’t turn up again for a couple of weeks. When I finally dropped by prof’s office to get my exam, he was lecturing me on how disappointed he was that he didn’t even know who I was...when he stopped and muttered, “Oh, shit, you’re the one who set the curve? Um...good work, hope to see you in class sometime.”

Good times squandering scholarship money that more diligent students wouldn’t have taken for granted. God, I really wasted some opportunities.

Back