The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

Just finished My Year of Rest and Relaxtion. Totally fucked, extremely dark, but also kind of moving and pretty hilarious? I loved it.

Hope the Yorgos Lanthimos adaption goes through, it's perfect material for him. Definitely want to check out more Otessa Moshfegh.
There has been a trend of disaffected, mourning protagonists (Severance, Pizza Girl) that My Year fits into and rises above. Moshfegh is so good at balancing depression, comedy, mourning, and degradation; and she never slips too far into any. She's got such a good handle on tone.

This is gold!

For us bookish types of a certain age (yes, even us extroverted bookish types), the MTV show Daria was a fountain of sarcastic comedy and biting social commentary. I used to watch it religiously even if her social life and nihilistic world view didn’t exactly match my own. Well, someone created a reading list of all the books mentioned or alluded to within the show‘s entire run. I am absolutely poring over this list and the accompanying stills from the show with the nerdiest of glee. It makes me realize that 17 year old Daria was and is far more well read than I as I’ve only made it through about 60% of the titles mentioned.

Looks like I have some new works to pick up and add to my TBR pile. Also, I think I may have to go back and rewatch the series. Must find where it’s streaming.

This is gold!

For us bookish types of a certain age (yes, even us extroverted bookish types), the MTV show Daria was a fountain of sarcastic comedy and biting social commentary. I used to watch it religiously even if her social life and nihilistic world view didn’t exactly match my own. Well, someone created a reading list of all the books mentioned or alluded to within the show‘s entire run. I am absolutely poring over this list and the accompanying stills from the show with the nerdiest of glee. It makes me realize that 17 year old Daria was and is far more well read than I as I’ve only made it through about 60% of the titles mentioned.

Looks like I have some new works to pick up and add to my TBR pile. Also, I think I may have to go back and rewatch the series. Must find where it’s streaming.
bookish types of a certain age, lol ick. cool link though.

Daria was on Hulu the last time I re-watched.

• Laughing
Reactions: Tyr
Just finished My Year of Rest and Relaxtion. Totally fucked, extremely dark, but also kind of moving and pretty hilarious? I loved it.

Hope the Yorgos Lanthimos adaption goes through, it's perfect material for him. Definitely want to check out more Otessa Moshfegh.
I love Otessa Moshfegh and love that book. Eileen was great, but that one was even better. Just the way she writes, and the characters that she create just really do it for me. I have her book from last year, but haven't read it yet, and now feel like I gotta jump on it. I have so many books (again) that I haven't read yet.

This is gold!

This list...is daunting. I'd be curious about the context; I imagine some of those books are referenced in quips and others are in the context of Daria's lit class. Either way, I should put a few of these on my to-read list.

bookish types of a certain age, lol ick. cool link though.

Daria was on Hulu the last time I re-watched.
It's nice to have access, but without any of the licensed music backing it...it just doesn't hit the same.

This list...is daunting. I'd be curious about the context; I imagine some of those books are referenced in quips and others are in the context of Daria's lit class. Either way, I should put a few of these on my to-read list.

It's nice to have access, but without any of the licensed music backing it...it just doesn't hit the same.
if you buy the DVD box set, you get all of that plus the in-between movies. I just haven't played a DVD in over a decade, so that's out for me at this time.

a few of these I've always meant to read, as well. maybe now I finally will!

I love the Paris Review but haven’t subscribed to it for a few years. But I’ve been reading their free articles and interviews more and more of late. It may convince me to resub if they keep doing interviews and essays with authors I love.

Steven Hyden’s Your Favorite Band Is Killing Me (which I think I’ve seen people recommend here) is $1.99 on apple books store [for ebooks] right now.

Been on a bit of a run recently for books as it’s been helping to settle my mind.

Strong recommend for Matt Haig if you dig a bit of fantasy with a ton of human observation with both Midnight Library and Humans (ML preferred) hitting that spot really well.

Claire McNear’s Jeopardy book, Answers in the Form of Questions, isn’t groundbreaking but may be the best book about the show by a non contestant and doesn’t overstay its welcome. A great accompaniment to Alex Trebeks memoir from earlier in 2020.

The Guest List got a ton of hype but took too long to rev up for my taste.

on to the Hyden book next but may switch off.

Went ahead and ordered Kazuo Ishiguro's new book, Klara and the Sun. I loved Never Let Me Go and Remains of the Day, was completely cold on Buried Giant, but still looking forward to this one.

I'm reading the book "No One Is Talking About This" by Patricia Lockwood, which is not a book about music, but there's a great, beautiful passage about Thom Yorke and performing and that special place that's entered during those moments in time. And since this is a forum about music with a thread about books I thought I'd go ahead and share it here:

Certain people were born with the internet inside them and suffered greatly from it. Thom Yorke was one of them, she thought, and curled up in her chair to watch the documentary "Meeting People Is Easy". The cinematography is a speeding neon blear of streets and tilted bottlenecks and strangers, people breaking like beams through the prisms of airports, cowlicks pressed against cab windows, halls like humane mousetraps, ads where art should be, waterways gone blinding, a rich sulfur light on the drummer. It rains, it rains everything. The soundtrack blips through a fugue of interview questions, the same ones repeated over and over: music to slit your wrists to? Every shot says the circuits that run through us go everywhere, are agonizing. But then something happens.

Thom Yorke is holding the microphone out to a crowd that is singing the chorus of "Creep" in blunt buffalo unison, never missing a word. He shrugs. The tile of his wrist says, look at these idiots, and maybe, I am an idiot myself. Then he smiles, one cheek lifting into an apple in the gray fog, and it is a real smile trying to pretend it isn't. He begins to sing the final flight of notes, at first almost parodically, but then halfway through his voice bursts some constraint of bitterness and flowers into the real song, as big and as terrible as a tiger lily, and he has made it new, and it is his again. It defeats even the men calling out his name, on the verge of heckling, trying to steal him from himself, Thom, Thom, Thom. His skin is gone, he is utterly protected, he is the size of the arena and as alone as he was when he first discovered he had that sound inside him. He stands, squeezing the microphone as if it were the throat of what had hurt him, the rigid systems inside him blown, nothing more than a boy, wearing the only kind of shirt available at that time.

Last edited:
I finished Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle Book 3 last week, and I'm having trouble starting something else.
I might have to order Book 4 and continue on.
Others on my short list are....ah never mind, Karl Ove has me in his grip.
This makes me so sow sew happy.

This makes me so sow sew happy.
My friend that loaned me Book One to kick it off said he only reads one volume per year. I realized he loaned it to me last February, so am on the three-per-year plan.
Heading into the last third of Anna Karenina, which I've been reading since the beginning of Feb. It's great, but once I'm finished, I'm definitely going to need something more... Easy.
I absolutely loved that book, I read it somewhat recently, in '18 I think. It quickly rose to the top, to hang with some of my all time favorites.

Back