The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh......

View attachment 169910

I used to tell my wife, "Hey, I could be the Sun Ra guy (@avecigrec)", but it's losing steam.

My current go-to is, "This is just like another insurance policy for you when I die."

Looks like I've got some catching up to do!

Screenshot_20230319_222616_Chrome.jpg

...I have 2 in the mail likely arriving this week, another box set in preorder for May and an RSD release that I'll be scooping up, so I'm working on said catching up.

3/21/23
0cda30e673dafdebb42793f18fa3ea112fd6b57c

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps

Allmusic Review:

Neil Young albums are also available on Amazon and, of course, through the Neil Young Archives.

Here's a youtube if you have none of those:

The vinyl is pretty great as well :p

RIYL:

I bought both Rust Never Sleeps and Live Rust when they were released during my junior year of high school. I consider both epiphany records when it comes to Neil and rate each of them near the top of his catalogue. These two really are essential records.

If you've never seen the Rust Never Sleeps concert movie, track it down. It was the first tour to incorporate Neil's surrealist set/concert experience vision. The 1986 tour - Neil Young & Crazy Horse In A Rusted Out Garage - is possibly even more fun.

A clip from the film. Stick around for the introductions...

Last edited:
Looks like I've got some catching up to do!

View attachment 169911

...I have 2 in the mail likely arriving this week, another box set in preorder for May and an RSD release that I'll be scooping up, so I'm working on said catching up.

If this becomes a competition, we're both fucked. Maybe we can share the same van down by the river when our wives leave us.

I bought both Rust Never Sleeps and Live Rust when they were released during my junior year of high school. I consider both epiphany records when it comes to Neil and rate each of them near the top of his catalogue. These two really are essential records.

If you've never seen the Rust Never Sleeps concert movie, track it down. It was the first tour to incorporate Neil's surrealist set/concert experience vision. The 1986 tour - Neil Young & Crazy horse In A rusted Out Garage - is possibly even more fun.

A clip from the film. Stick around for the introductions...

Now, you know I have the DVD of that!

Rusted Out Garage is nuts. But a heck of a lot of fun. Did you see that tour?

Nope. That was a pretty limited tour. Closest date was Atlanta and it wasn't in the stars.

My first NY show was in 1983. Trans tour. I actually saw two shows that year. The first was at Carmichael Auditorium at UNC and was totally solo. The second was at Cameron at Duke and the second set was a full band Shocking Pinks affair.

The best NY show I ever saw was with Crazy Horse in Chapel Hill on 2-28-91. This was the Ragged Glory tour. It was full of piss and vinegar from the get-go, but this particular day the US had declared the Gulf War 'over' and it seemed to send Neil to an even more emotional place.

Was 5th row in front of Poncho with security bearing down on me all night. Held off for Social Distortion and Sonic Youth (the incredible openers) but managed to tape NY&CH on the down low. It was sublime...

Nope. That was a pretty limited tour. Closest date was Atlanta and it wasn't in the stars.

My first NY show was in 1983. Trans tour. I actually saw two shows that year. The first was at Carmichael Auditorium at UNC and was totally solo. The second was at Cameron at Duke and the second set was a full band Shocking Pinks affair.

The best NY show I ever saw was with Crazy Horse in Chapel Hill on 2-28-91. This was the Ragged Glory tour. It was full of piss and vinegar from the get-go, but this particular day the US had declared the Gulf War 'over' and it seemed to send Neil to an even more emotional place.

Was 5th row in front of Poncho with security bearing down on me all night. Held off for Social Distortion and Sonic Youth (the incredible openers) but managed to tape NY&CH on the down low. It was sublime...

What a show!

Back to the '91 tour - more times than not, I feel Weld is my favorite NY&CH LP. It's an emotional document. That tour was incredible, and I know my opinion is also influenced by actually experiencing it live.

If you find a copy of the Weld video (it was only officially released on VHS) it's worth every cent.

Some of the songs focus more on the reaction of the audience than the band (totally Neil)...

This one exits the earth's orbit at 5:56...

So, were there jawas and scientists, because the stage is very reminiscent of the Rust tour.

Last edited:
Nope. The closest thing you had to a 'character' was Neil's guitar tech, Larry Cragg, dressed in overalls Farmer John style. That tour had the surreal stage props (mammoth cabs, mic stand) but was all about the music and the anti-war message. You may have noticed in the previous videos the mic stand had a yellow ribbon tied to it.

This was the only cover of the evening and was very deliberately chosen...

I wonder if the nad (when it gets here one day when we are all older) will help me convince my wife we should ditch stupify. Neil playing over Apple Music on the exogear sounds so much better than spotify from my laptop.

Unfortunately if you want to hitch your wagon to the Apple Music train then AirPlay is just a whole bag of hatefulness. Basically compresses the file to AAC 256 to send it so it’s just pants like Spotify too. In fact more pants because you have the good files just no way to use them properly. Only way to get the hi res properly is to attach your phone/tablet to a usb DAC.

With the BluOS module or a streamer with tidal connect & a hi res streamer you should be able to get it hi res through that. Tidal has its own issues in terms of cost and the app, poor CarPlay implementation and the app being a bit shit

Unfortunately if you want to hitch your wagon to the Apple Music train then AirPlay is just a whole bag of hatefulness. Basically compresses the file to AAC 256 to send it so it’s just pants like Spotify too. In fact more pants because you have the good files just no way to use them properly. Only way to get the hi res properly is to attach your phone/tablet to a usb DAC.

With the BluOS module or a streamer with tidal connect & a hi res streamer you should be able to get it hi res through that. Tidal has its own issues in terms of cost and the app, poor CarPlay implementation and the app being a bit shit
I may go Amazon Music. We’ll see.

Although, I am excited about some of the Apple Classical pr stuff.

I like Apple Music. I like the app, how easy it integrates with my car and how it sounds through headphones. It’s just shit how I can’t sit at my sofa and send it to my hifi and get the full quality.

I have no idea how Amazon music works wirelessly but if they rely on AirPlay it will end up being the same bollocks. Tidal having their own protocol is how they manage it.

I’m actually pretty tempted longer term to flog the fancy streamer I bought and get a cheap second hand iPad to connect direct to the DAC with usb. Seems the best work around for Apple Music. Which is a shame really.

Man, I'm at 33 Neil releases (Vinyl, I don't catalog the rest), y'all are impressive.

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 9.47.05 AM.png

Now bootlegs, back in the CD trading days i had Neil boots coming through the mail on a daily basis. I've probably got 2-3 shoeboxes full of Neil bootlegs. Favorite of all of them is A Perfect Echo if you can search it out, 10 discs of soundboard quality performances over the years.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps
Oh, did Neil Young write "It's better to burn out than fade away"?

I guess I didn't know this was Neil Young.

Has anyone ever said, "HEY MAN, NICE MOUTH ORGAN SOLO, DO ANOTHER ONE!"?

He's very much like Dylan for me, I'm not quite sure whether I hate his voice or not.

Songs are good though.

The rest of the band just showed up.

I think I like his voice.

Is Into The Black or Out of the Blue better? I like the guitars in Into better.

Some real fucking passion in that song.

Good songs, I'm leaning towards liking his voice.

3 / 5 stars.

Ok, now lets get to the 10/5 album that is Rust Never Sleeps. Everything great about Neil in one succinct album. Gentle acoustic songs combined with full out rockers. Thrasher is a personal favorite, one of those great long form Neil songs that you can just get lost in lyrically and musically.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away". The older I get the more I disagree with this particular sentiment. Better for who? Certainly not for those that burned out. I don't mean that to come across as crass or insensitive, what I mean is that its better to remain 'forever young' from a marketing perspective but thats about it.

As I've said in other places one of the things I love about Neil is catching up with his later albums when my life hits the marker his was at when he made it and it speaks to you that much more. To remain viable as an artist - or keep the rust from forming since 'Rust Never Sleeps' - takes a lot more work and makes for a much more interesting and satisfying journey.

1679333455793.png

Man, I'm at 33 Neil releases (Vinyl, I don't catalog the rest), y'all are impressive.

View attachment 169925

Now bootlegs, back in the CD trading days i had Neil boots coming through the mail on a daily basis. I've probably got 2-3 shoeboxes full of Neil bootlegs. Favorite of all of them is A Perfect Echo if you can search it out, 10 discs of soundboard quality performances over the years.

Have you seen this? Came across it recently and got a kick out of it and your post made me thought of it

Back