The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Trying to think who else would fall into this category that might also be ranked in the top ten:

Freddie Mercury
Chris Cornell
Robert Plant
Ozzy Osbourne
Elton John
Roy Orbison
Prince
Layne Staley
Jeff Buckley
Steven Tyler
Meat Loaf
Steve Perry
Rob Harlford
Daryl Hall
George Michael
Michael Hutchins

I don’t know where any of them would rank but Rog would be in the conversation for sure.
I feel like he gets left out of the conversation quite a bit.

I feel like he gets left out of the conversation quite a bit.
it’s a weird dynamic when the lead singer isn’t the focal point of the band. Elton John and Meat Loaf didn’t write their best songs either but they were always the main focus. Daltrey was, in some ways, behind not only Townsend but also Keith Moon which makes for a unique dynamic.

I went with the deluxe edition for first listen and nearing the end of Heaven and Hell this is far and away the best live album we’ve pulled thus far.

it’s a weird dynamic when the lead singer isn’t the focal point of the band. Elton John and Meat Loaf didn’t write their best songs either but they were always the main focus. Daltrey was, in some ways, behind not only Townsend but also Keith Moon which makes for a unique dynamic.

This is one of the best live albums that never really gets any mention. The Who were at the height of their live powers from 69-75.

Pete and Keith and just blistering here. The whole Tanglewood show is top shelf...

We’ve pulled 12 live albums and this is how I would rank them:
  1. James Brown - Live at the Apollo/The Who - Live at Leeds/Sam Cooke - One Night Stand
  2. BB King - Live at the Regal
  3. Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison
  4. Duke Ellington - Ellington at Newport
  5. Sarah Vaughan - Live at Mister Kelly’s
  6. Keith Jarret - The Koln Concert
  7. MC5 - Kick Out the Jams/Cheap Trick at Budakon/Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
  8. Deep Purple - Made in Japan

I would assume so… I’m too lazy to go check it now. (I’ve never listened to that album or any Peter Frampton album.)
I only listen to it because someone I used to work with was getting rid of a few records and gave me a few. Mostly 70's classic rock stuff. Frampton Comes Alive was one of them. I don't have it anymore but I remember the sides were in a strange order.

I only listen to it because someone I used to work with was getting rid of a few records and gave me a few. Mostly 70's classic rock stuff. Frampton Comes Alive was one of them. I don't have it anymore but I remember the sides were in a strange order.
Sounds like a changer record. So good old record changers allowed you to load a disc so that when one side played, the next record would drop and play. These records get fun sides like 1/4 and 2/3. This way you can use the changer and play the album in order.

I should mention I usually stream the 14 track version. I just assumed most of the chatter was cut on the 6 song vinyl version.
i would assume so but the album has an interesting history. They had recorded a bunch of that tour and then decided they didn’t want to do the work to make an album from it. They reportedly burned all those tapes. Scheduled the Leeds show with the intent of releasing it and then decided to leave all of the very hot material off of it. Then released it to look like a bootleg to sort of beat the bootleggers to the punch.

Back