The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

5/2/24
View attachment 201736
Bonnie “Prince” Billy - I See a Darkness

Here’s a YouTube playlist:

Doesn’t appear to be on Spotify.

Will Oldham is one of my faves and this album is excellent. The title track is understandably fantastic but the Final Cut “Raining In Darling” is one of the all time best closers, it gives me all the feels I can handling from a sub two minute ballad.

Side note about Will Oldham. In the early 2000s prior to R. Kelly becoming a convicted pedophile/sex offender, Will had bit of a thing for R. Kelly. He did some killer covers…

Will even had a cameo as a Police Officer in R. Kelly’s epic/bonkers “Trapped In The Closet” video. Unfortunately/Understandably, that epic hours long music video appears to have been scrubbed from the internet.

Last edited:
I’ve never listened to this album. I’m not all that hip on Me Oldham, honestly.

I knew the title track because:

Also @Indymisanthrope once gave me a Oldham record that I love. Maybe this will inspire me to dig deeper.

He's similar to Jason Molina and Bill Callahan not only in style but also in monikers. Will Oldham has recorded albums under the following names:
Palace Brothers
Palace Music
Palace
Palace Soundtrack
Will Oldham
Amalgamated Sons of Rest (a collaboration with Jason Molina and Alasdaire Roberts)
The Sundowners (a collaboration with Smog)

and has collaborated on albums with:
Matt Sweeney
Dawn McCarthy
Tortoise
The Cairo Gang
Trembling Bells
Bill Callahan

As you might have guessed dude is quite prolific.If I was gonna suggest a few albums, besides I See A Darkness I would recommend checking out:

Palace Music - Viva Last Blues
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Ease On Down The Road
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Master & Everyone
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy/Matt Sweeney - Superwolf
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - The Letting Go

Pretty much all of his albums are at least good but the above listed titles are my favorite and a great place to start.

Last edited:
He's similar to Jason Molina and Bill Callahan not only in style but also in monikers. Will Oldham has recorded albums under the following names:
Palace Brothers
Palace Music
Palace
Palace Soundtrack
Will Oldham
Amalgamated Sons of Rest (a collaboration with Jason Molina and Alasdaire Roberts)

Matt Sweeney
Dawn McCarthy
Tortoise
The Cairo Gang
Trembling Bells
Bill Callahan

As you might have guessed dude is quite prolific.If I was gonna suggest a few albums, besides I See A Darkness I would recommend checking out:

Pretty much all of his albums are at least good but the above listed titles are my favorite and a great place to start.

Lie Down in the Light is the only one I'm really familiar with. An ex of mine really loved that album.

Palace Brothers
Palace Music
Palace
Palace Soundtrack
Will Oldham

Matt Sweeney
Dawn McCarthy
Tortoise
The Cairo Gang
Trembling Bells
Bill Callahan

I still regularly listen to that Bill Callahan album we had so I look forward to diving into this one.

This is right in my wheelhouse. Another great discovery from this project.
Definitely recommend you check out some of his other work mentioned above. I would also add in the Hope ep, which I think was just billed to Palace.

Though one of his annoying tendencies was to record awesome songs to 7in and then re-record less than stellar versions later.
Not his song (Sally Timms) but amazing. As my friend described it, that guitar solo is “sun soaked”

Back