The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I do think the internet has amplified American cultural hegemony. Music is reaching a point that film and big budget tv has been for quite a while. I think that leads to the less interesting things from other places getting more traction too.
I think that’s algorithm more than the internet…. We all end up in entertainment bubbles just like we do with social media and politics.

Who the fuck is Neal Hannon? Is he in Matchbox 20?

The fella that pretty much is the Divine Comedy that made that album you hate. He also did the theme tune to my all time favourite tv show…

I was never a huge fan of theirs to be fair, they represent a sort of twee indie, like Belle & Sebastian, that has always repelled me.

The fella that pretty much is the Divine Comedy that made that album you hate. He also did the theme tune to my all time favourite tv show…

I was never a huge fan of theirs to be fair, they represent a sort of twee indie, like Belle & Sebastian, that has always repelled me.
I don’t know enough about that dude or that band to dislike the band. All I know is that album was repugnant.

I don’t know, I think monoculture if there ever truly was one is more a MTV generation thing. 90s and early 00s top forty radio was an interesting melting pot. I think once you get to the early eighties things get heavily siloed again.
Pre-MTV you still had FM radio DJs playing Pink Floyd and Zeppelin. Though I do agree that things were a bit more siloed regionally. A song or album might hit in Chicago but be an afterthought in Miami for example.

Pre-MTV you still had FM radio DJs playing Pink Floyd and Zeppelin. Though I do agree that things were a bit more siloed regionally. A song or album might hit in Chicago but be an afterthought in Miami for example.
I more meant that in that day and age there were stations that would play TLC, Nirvana, Guns N Roses and the Beastie Boys…

Back