The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I understand this album’s importance but it’s a wreck of a show. Even the band admitted it. Guttural rock that I think people thought was meant to be that sloppy but it wasn’t. It doesn’t live up to the hype. This is what the Doors would sound like if they didn’t care about how they sounded.

5/1/24
View attachment 201607
The Byrds - Fifth Dimension

I am a big fan of “Mr. Spaceman” beyond that this record isn’t really essential in the sense that there has to be at least 3 (possibly 4) other Byrds albums that would need to be included if you were gonna include this one and that’s too many Byrds albums.

I am a big fan of “Mr. Spaceman” beyond that this record isn’t really essential in the sense that there has to be at least 3 (possibly 4) other Byrds albums that would need to be included if you were gonna include this one and that’s too many Byrds albums.
Well we already had Rodeo and I’m fairly certain I had Notorious Byrd Brothers (another real questionable choice) in the other thread, so chances are you get your wish…. BRB will check book.

Well we already had Rodeo and I’m fairly certain I had Notorious Byrd Brothers (another real questionable choice) in the other thread, so chances are you get your wish…. BRB will check book.

The Byrds are one of those bands where I can understand multiple entries because they had some pretty distinct musical phases and lineups, but the quality of the music was consistent. I think 5 records is a bit much with a little overlap though.

Well there you go…
View attachment 201615

I don’t know this one real well. I’m sure I’ve listened to it, but I don’t remember it.
I feel like only maybe like a handful of bands need to have 5 albums on this list. All 5 of these records came out over a 3 year period. I am a Byrd’s fan and they did cover a lot of ground to get from Mr Tambourine Man to Sweetheart Of The Rodeo but the 3 other included do feel a bit superfluous.

Last edited:
The Byrds are one of those bands where I can understand multiple entries because they had some pretty distinct musical phases and lineups, but the quality of the music was consistent. I think 5 records is a bit much with a little overlap though.
Exactly I think they definitely need two and I would not argue with three but five is excessive.

So, just a short addition to the discourse about the british/american bias in the book: I have the Swedish edition of the book, and they have switched up some of the entries to include a bunch of Swedish and Scandinavian acts. There’s only three Byrds-albums in that one for example, if I’m not mistaken.

So, just a short addition to the discourse about the british/american bias in the book: I have the Swedish edition of the book, and they have switched up some of the entries to include a bunch of Swedish and Scandinavian acts. There’s only three Byrds-albums in that one for example, if I’m not mistaken.
Oh my god, 2 versions of the book will cause a rip in time if they come together in the same room and all we will be left with is Coldplay

Back