The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I wasn’t allowed to watch MTV at home because it would rot my brain or something.
I think there was a like a two week timeframe where I was only allowed to watch VH1 because my parents didn't want me to watch Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" video. I think there was also something in Peter Gabriel's "Digging in the Dirt" video that they didn't like but I don't remember that one as well. The MTV ban was very short lived though.

That's wild. From 1991 to 1999 I probably didn't have much else on in my house besides MTV.

Only the four terrestrial channels until channel 5 launched sometime in the mid 90s, 97 feels about right. It wasn’t until I’d left home that they finally caved and got sky!

Equally we probably didn’t watch all that much tv as kids. It’s maybe be whatever the big prime time show was, big European games and the Saturday night entertainment stuff. Unless the weather was shocking we were booted outside to play or would be reading a book.

I think there was a like a two week timeframe where I was only allowed to watch VH1 because my parents didn't want me to watch Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" video. I think there was also something in Peter Gabriel's "Digging in the Dirt" video that they didn't like but I don't remember that one as well. The MTV ban was very short lived though.
I was in college by that time. I mean I watched MTV when they weren’t home but I wasn’t allowed to watch it before I left home. There was too much sex and drugs, I guess. Idk, they never actually watched it … so I am sure it was some Christian thing.

Once the four terrestrial channels until channel 5 launched sometime in the mid 90s, 97 feels about right. It wasn’t until I’d left home that they finally caved and got sky!
No wonder Brits are so more much invested in music. You had to work and go seek it out to connect with it. I had it mindlessly fed to me all day long through the old idiot box.

No wonder Brits are so more much invested in music. You had to work and go seek it out to connect with it. I had it mindlessly fed to me all day long through the old idiot box.

Oh yeah. You’d have top of the pops with the chart run down, the evening session on radio one and NME/Melody Maker. From that you’d figure out what single you’d buy at the weekend. Albums were for birthday/christmas money!

I always watched American Bandstand, Soul Train and Solid Gold. Casey Kasem was a must on the weekend. I was also one of those kids that would tape the songs I liked off the radio. I would get so pissed when the deejay would talk through one of the songs I wanted.

That's wild. From 1991 to 1999 I probably didn't have much else on in my house besides MTV.
Yeah, I was born the year MTV launched. So it’s always been a thing at least until the mid 00s when Viacom started to not give a fuck about many of their cable networks and it slowly devolved into another channel full or reality tv dreck.

Peak MTV for me was early to mid 90s though I watched it well after that. In the 90s it was mostly videos with a smattering of original programming tossed into the mix. Remote Control, MTV Sports, Real World, House Of Style, Beavis & Butt-Head, Singled Out, etc… were a nice occasional change of pace but it was still like 80% music videos. As more and more of their brand became youth culture based than music based my interest waned more and more.

I am sure they have sound that they can get just as many people watching the channel today with endless reruns of Ridiculousness as they could with music videos but it’s still a bummer to channel specialization essentially disappear though at this point Cable TV as a whole is kind of on its last leg so it doesn’t probably matter all that much anyways.

3/27/24
View attachment 198775
Public Image Ltd - Metal Box

PIL should be something I enjoy but they are not. I have tried but I have never cared for it for some reason.

Yeah, I was born the year MTV launched. So it’s always been a thing at least until the mid 00s when Viacom started to not give a fuck about many of their cable networks and it slowly devolved into another channel full or reality tv dreck.

Peak MTV for me was early to mid 90s though I watched it well after that. In the 90s it was mostly videos with a smattering of original programming tossed into the mix. Remote Control, MTV Sports, Real World, House Of Style, Beavis & Butt-Head, Singled Out, etc… were a nice occasional change of pace but it was still like 80% music videos. As more and more of their brand became youth culture based than music based my interest waned more and more.

I am sure they have sound that they can get just as many people watching the channel today with endless reruns of Ridiculousness as they could with music videos but it’s still a bummer to channel specialization essentially disappear though at this point Cable TV as a whole is kind of on its last leg so it doesn’t probably matter all that much anyways.
I had high hopes when they launched MTV Classic because they billed it as a place where they would show a lot of their 90's content. It literally was like that for a day when they showed a block of MTV Unplugged and then after that it's just mainly blocks of videos organized by decade or genre. I haven't seen any other classic MTV shows, or any other Unplugged for that matter, since.

I had high hopes when they launched MTV Classic because they billed it as a place where they would show a lot of their 90's content. It literally was like that for a day when they showed a block of MTV Unplugged and then after that it's just mainly blocks of videos organized by decade or genre. I haven't seen any other classic MTV shows, or any other Unplugged for that matter, since.
Last I checked, and it has been a minute; Paramount+ had a chunk of old Yo! MTV Raps episodes up for streaming. I would love if they did the same with 120 Minutes or Headbanger’s Ball.

They also have a few unplugged, storytellers, and behind the music
I have checked the MTV unplugged’s and Behind The Music’s and I think they were recent remakes as opposed to the classic episodes. I haven’t checked recently though so that may have changed.

They also had a full seasons worth of classic episodes of Nickelodeon’s Double Dare.

I have checked the MTV unplugged’s and Behind The Music’s and I think they were recent remakes as opposed to the classic episodes. I haven’t checked recently though so that may have changed.

They also had a full seasons worth of classic episodes of Nickelodeon’s Double Dare.
I doubt very seriously they remade the Tony Bennet unplugged without a necromancer.

It is always a weird mix of things available. I haven’t watched any of the behind the musics because there is never one up i am that interested in.

They have Crossroads too which I have watched several of. I haven’t watched much paramount + because the fire tv And it don’t get along.

Last edited:
I doubt very seriously they remade the Tony Bennet unplugged without a necromancer.

It is always a weird mix of things available. I haven’t watched any of the behind the musics because there is never one up in that interested in.

They have Crossroads too which I have watched several of. I haven’t watched much paramount + because the fire tv And it don’t get along.
I think we have a year free for some reason and the SO wanted it for a RuPaul show. We rarely watch it but I’ve dug through things a couple times for nostalgia purposes.

I think we have a year free for some reason and the SO wanted it for a RuPaul show. We rarely watch it but I’ve dug through things a couple times for nostalgia purposes.
My daughter’s sub so it cost me nothing. She has access to all of our subs. If I really want to watch something, I can do it on my phone. Need to finish the Willie doc series and the Geddy Lee series.

Back