The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

3/27/24
1711532614475.jpeg
Public Image Ltd - Metal Box

Metal Box is the second studio album by Public Image Ltd, released by Virgin Records on 23 November 1979. The album takes its name from the round metal canister which contained the initial pressings of the record. It was later reissued in standard vinyl packaging as Second Edition in February 1980 by Virgin Records in the United Kingdom, and by Warner Bros.

Loved the first two Oasis albums purchased Definitely Maybe on the strength of “Live Forever”. It was buzzy in the US but wasn’t huge. It did a good job of setting the table for what came next. (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? Was huge right out of the gate with “Wonderwall” but the following singles “Champagne Supernova” and “Don’t Look Back In Anger” were massive hits as well. I remember being at a church lock-in at my local YMCA when I was in 8th Grade with nearly my entire class, early the next morning, as everything started to wind down I put on “Wonderwall” and it was just one of those moments where everyone broke into a massive sing-a-long. It was a magical moment.

Side note on Oasis. I wouldn’t necessarily say Oasis was my introduction to The Beatles, as they were always around (though my parents, were never big Beatles fan so I didn’t grow up around their music); I would say that Oasis and their Beatles adoration were a gateway for me to start start exploring The Beatles with some purpose. I am fairly certain that they were partially responsible me picking up the Red and Blue greatest hits on CD.

Champagne Supernova was a single over there? Wild!

I'd say it's easily the 2nd most recognized song from the album in the US. It might actually be more recognizable than Live Forever.

Oh no it’s not that it’s not a huge song here, everything on the album was in one way or another, it was in the top 10 for something daft like 3 years, it was just never released as a single. The four singles were Some Might Say, Roll With It, Wonderwall and Don’t Look Back In Anger.

Live Forever is on the first album…

Last edited:
Oh no it’s not that it’s not a huge song here, everything on the album was in one way or another it was in the top 10 for something daft like 3 years, it was just never released as a single. The four singles were Some Might Say, Roll With It, Wonderwall and Don’t Look Back In Anger.

Live Forever is on the first album…
I get that but I was just making the comparison because I always feel like Live Forever was a huge hit.

It's possible Champagne Supernova was just a radio single. The US is never really big on singles as a proper release. In the 90s we basically just considered anything on alternative radio and MTV a single.

3/27/24
View attachment 198775
Public Image Ltd - Metal Box

Now that is more like it!!

I get that but I was just making the comparison because I always feel like Live Forever was a huge hit.

It's possible Champagne Supernova was just a radio single. The US is never really big on singles as a proper release. In the 90s we basically just considered anything on alternative radio and MTV a single.

No I had a look, it and Morning Glory were US only singles that weren’t released in the UK. Probably in an attempt to saturate the radio to try and break through I’d imagine.

Physical singles always were a big thing in the uk, including non album ones, and while they started to die off as the 90s progressed at that stage were still a pretty big thing. It took the 2000s to fully kill them off.

Last edited:
I've always had a conflicted relationship with Oasis. I loved the first singles and I bought the first album on the day it came out. But as the band grew in popularity and the egos of the Gallaghers blew up, I kinda lost interest in them. By the time Morning glory came about, I figured they were almost all attitude with little substance behind it. I remember just how tired I was of the whole thing when I went to London in 1996 and this album echoed through every street corner and cafe during that whole stay. I've come to re-evaluate this album since then (it's obviously great in every aspect!), but Oasis will always remain this irritating little lightning in a bottle-phenomenon that I both loved and hated in equal measures in the mid-90s.

Hot take: I actually think "Be Here Now" is their best album, if you just listen beyond the disastrous production.

Last edited:
I've always had a conflicted relationship with Oasis. I loved the first singles when they came out and I bought the first album on the day it came out. But as the band grew in popularity and the egos of the Gallagher blew up, I kinda lost interest in them. By the time Morning glory came about, I figured they were almost all attitude with little substance behind it. I remember just how tired I was of the whole thing when I went to London in 1996 and this album echoed through every street corner and cafe during that whole stay. I've come to re-evaluate this album since then (it's obviously great in every aspect!), but Oasis will always remain this irritating little lightning in a bottle-phenomenon that I both loved and hated in equal measures in the mid-90s.

Hot take: I actually think "Be Here Now" is their best album, if you just listen beyond the disastrous production.
...or wait, "Be Here Now" is the second best Oasis album. Their best would be "The Masterplan", their collection of b-sides and outtakes.

I like the first two Oasis albums. The second one verged on overplayed back in the day but time has healed that wound. I honestly didn’t know they existed after morning glory.

Avant garde post punk should go down well with the missus.

No I had a look, it and Morning Glory were US only singles that weren’t released in the UK. Probably in an attempt to saturate the radio to try and break through I’d imagine.

Physical singles always were a big thing in the uk, including non album ones, and while they started to die off as the 90s progressed at that stage were still a pretty big thing. It took the 2000s to fully kill them off.
Yeah, When I first started getting into the Beatles I thought it was strange that a lot of their big songs weren't from any particular album. Then I realized it was basically the culture of "singles" that I didn't understand. I guess that's why they had to reformat their albums for us dumb Americans.

Yeah, When I first started getting into the Beatles I thought it was strange that a lot of their big songs weren't from any particular album. Then I realized it was basically the culture of "singles" that I didn't understand. I guess that's why they had to reformat their albums for us dumb Americans.

Yeah the singles charts were way bigger than the albums ones here, especially with the population at large. It took Napster and the streaming to kill it.

They reformatted them mostly because Capital wasn’t really on board.

You guys didn’t get that single? Wild! They shot a video Liam is rocking a beard.

MTV wasn’t really as much of a thing here, pay tv was very rare growing up, it took sky getting the PL rights on its launch in 1992 for it to really enter the national conscious and even then I remember it more being a go to the pub thing for the games rather than a in your own house thing.

MTV wasn’t really as much of a thing here, pay tv was very rare growing up, it took sky getting the PL rights on its launch in 1992 for it to really enter the national conscious and even then I remember it more being a go to the pub thing for the games rather than a in your own house thing.
That's wild. From 1991 to 1999 I probably didn't have much else on in my house besides MTV.

Back