The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

3/26/24
View attachment 198710
Oasis - (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?

So this album probably is the soundtrack to my early teens. In retrospect it’s not as good as the debut, and the production is shocking, but it’s hard to deny and it’s absolutely chocked full of anthems!

3/26/24
View attachment 198710
Oasis - (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?

Loved the first two Oasis albums purchased Definitely Maybe on the strength of “Live Forever”. It was buzzy in the US but wasn’t huge. It did a good job of setting the table for what came next. (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? Was huge right out of the gate with “Wonderwall” but the following singles “Champagne Supernova” and “Don’t Look Back In Anger” were massive hits as well. I remember being at a church lock-in at my local YMCA when I was in 8th Grade with nearly my entire class, early the next morning, as everything started to wind down I put on “Wonderwall” and it was just one of those moments where everyone broke into a massive sing-a-long. It was a magical moment.

Side note on Oasis. I wouldn’t necessarily say Oasis was my introduction to The Beatles, as they were always around (though my parents, were never big Beatles fan so I didn’t grow up around their music); I would say that Oasis and their Beatles adoration were a gateway for me to start start exploring The Beatles with some purpose. I am fairly certain that they were partially responsible me picking up the Red and Blue greatest hits on CD.

Watching Nicky Wire geek out over Rush and having a sheet full of questions to ask was the most precious thing.

Back