The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I did not realize that Sea Change came out before this. I missed that whole album cycle originally somehow.

Also, I love the Dust Brothers.
After this album is where I hop off the Beck bandwagon. This album was fantastic. I enjoyed this album a great deal. If you enjoy MIDI music make sure to check out Beck’s Gameboy Variations which is an 8-bit remix of a few of the track s off this record.

Reviews are weird. The allmusic review spends a fair amount of time trying to establish this as the first Beck record that sounds like a Beck record and then uses the fact that it sounds like Odelay to support this position.

This is probably my favorite Beck album overall, but I don't think he has any bad albums. Morning Phase is phenomenal. Better than Sea Change in my opinion.

This is probably my favorite Beck album overall, but I don't think he has any bad albums. Morning Phase is phenomenal. Better than Sea Change in my opinion.
It’s not my favorite (the sequel is rarely as good as the original) but it’s still fantastic beck and The The Dust Brothers make an excellent team.

Hard disagree on Morning Phase. that album is a snooze.

My Beck album rank would be…

Odelay
Guero
Midnight Vultures
Mutations
Sea Change
Mellow Gold
One Foot In The Grave
The Information
Stereopathetic Soulmanure
Golden Feelings
Modern Guilt
Colors
Morning Phase
Hyperspace

I understand that his early albums aren’t for everyone and there are some individual songs on albums that I ranked lower that are really good and much better than than anything on Stereopathetic Soulmanure but those albums are a vibe and if you are in the right mood they are hilarious and a ton of fun.

I’ve tried and failed to figure out Beck but never managed. It just doesn’t click and doesn’t ever feel natural or genuine to me, always feels like it’s trying too hard.
That may be the problem. I don’t find him very genuine either. He is sly and sardonic. There is a lot of humor to everything when he is not being the sad sack folkster.

Saw him on the Mellow Gold tour in 94 and on the 95 Lolapalooza tour. Really don't remember much from either show.
It was my first show so it was probably memorable for that reason alone but he was also doing his best James Brown impression at the time. He even preformed an early version of “Debra” dancing up a storm.

Back