The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

It was my first show so it was probably memorable for that reason alone but he was also doing his best James Brown impression at the time. He even preformed an early version of “Debra” dancing up a storm.
I was drunk as a skunk both nights. Sadly I have seen several acts that I have no recollection of.

It’s not my favorite (the sequel is rarely as good as the original) but it’s still fantastic beck and The The Dust Brothers make an excellent team.

Hard disagree on Morning Phase. that album is a snooze.

My Beck album rank would be…

Odelay
Guero
Midnight Vultures
Mutations
Sea Change
Mellow Gold
One Foot In The Grave
The Information
Stereopathetic Soulmanure
Golden Feelings
Modern Guilt
Colors
Morning Phase
Hyperspace

I understand that his early albums aren’t for everyone and there are some individual songs on albums that I ranked lower that are really good and much better than than anything on Stereopathetic Soulmanure but those albums are a vibe and if you are in the right mood they are hilarious and a ton of fun.
Interesting that you don't like Morning Phase.

I have a couple of friends who don't necessarily like Beck, but that album is one of their all-time favorites.

Interesting that you don't like Morning Phase.

I have a couple of friends who don't necessarily like Beck, but that album is one of their all-time favorites.
I would say I am indifferent to it.

Supposedly Morning Phase is the spiritual sequel to Sea Change but I find Sea Change to be an infinitely more interesting listen musically. I think Nigel Godrich production added a lot to the album overall and his ear is missing from Morning Phase.

Morning Phase is core brunchcore.

I would say I am indifferent to it.

Supposedly Morning Phase is the spiritual sequel to Sea Change but I find Sea Change to be an infinitely more interesting listen musically. I think Nigel Godrich production added a lot to the album overall and his ear is missing from Morning Phase.

Morning Phase is core brunchcore.
Oddly, and I know I am in the minority, Sea Change has never interested me much. I feel the same way you do about Morning Phase. Slow, boring. I still don't recognize most of the songs even today. I loved everything before Sea Change and pretty much everything after but something about that album just never clicked with me.

I remember people bitching about the VMP reissue sounding bad because of the vinyl noise added to the album.

I remember people bitching about the VMP reissue sounding bad because of the vinyl noise added to the album.
I think I spun my copy once and it sounded fine. As much as think this album deserves all the love it receives, beyond the singles, which are excellent, it didn’t do much for me. There is nothing wrong with the album It’s just not my bag. I prefer Lauren Hill and Wyclef’s solo debuts more. The biggest bummer of the groups break up is the loss of Pras. He has a fantastic flow but it doesn’t seem like he has the talent to carry an album by himself.

1/1/24
1704081998510.jpeg

Fugees - The Score
A hip-hop classic that I don’t revisit as often as I should… I don’t see the point of all the skits, though that could be said for a lot of 90s rap albums. I’ll easily take pointless skits over sex skits tho. 5/5.

favs: Killing Me Softly, Ready Or Not, The Score, Manifest, Fu-Gee-La, Zealots
least fav: not counting the Intro, the Outro or all the skits… The Beast ig?

Back