The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

You know @Joe Mac is going to be in here telling us about how this is the greatest Brit pop album of all time now.

I was never an enormous fan of The Charlatans but North Country Road and The Only One I Know were indie disco bangers.

I get where everyone is coming from with the generic but they were one of the earlier britpop bands so I don’t think it was in a copycat manor as such.

Anyway it’s fine. Nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:
I think The Coral were a bit too late to technically fall under the Britpop Umbrella, but that first album by them is one of my all time favorites. My favorite was always Super Furry Animals for Britpop that was doing things a bit different.

I’d agree with SFA. Fuzzy Logic. Radiator and Rings Around The World are great skewed pop albums.

I was never an enormous fan of The Charlatan’s but North Country Road and The Only One I Know were indie disco bangers.

I get where everyone is coming from with the generic but they were one of the earlier britpop bands so I don’t think it was in a copycat manor as such.

Anyway it’s fine. Nothing more nothing less.
I don’t know enough to say who is early or not. Wasn’t necessarily trying to say it was copycat as much as just stating the sort of generic nature of it.

I don’t know enough to say who is early or not. Wasn’t necessarily trying to say it was copycat as much as just stating the sort of generic nature of it.

Oh yeah I get that, was just a bit of context to say that they were probably early madchester meets britpop, their debut came out in 1990 only a year after The Stone Roses so whilst they carried on through the britpop era they probably also were part of the earlier movement that led to the northern end of it.

Oh yeah I get that, was just a bit of context to say that they were probably early madchester meets britpop, their debut came out in 1990 only a year after The Stone Roses so whilst they carried on through the britpop era they probably also were part of the earlier movement that led to the northern end of it.
I really like the Stone Roses and the first couple Oasis albums. Everything else seems a bit hit or miss.

And the funny thing is that britpop was such a weird label because there was very few similarlities within the scene. It was more that a few different bands and scenes emerged simultaneously around the country at a period where Britain was coming out of the dark days of the 80s and finding a sort of new self confidence. The 90s in Britain were a really fun era to grow up in.

Back