The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Nick Cave is a bit of blind spot. I pulled The Birthday Party in my individual project before this got started and disliked it a great deal. I have The Boatman’s Call in the collection but it is really more of a project record at this time as it’s okay, but I haven’t really connected with it. This will get a background listen today, but I do not believe I will be able to give it more than a cursory listen before the weekend. I will try to get back to it then.

Well my first impressions of the first few songs were not great. Then I started reading the Allmusic review. I will come back to this tomorrow and try to listen with fresh eats and read the rest of the review.
Not in the right headspace for all of that right now.

11/16/23
View attachment 187341
The Charlatans - Tellin’ Stories

This should be right up my alley and I know a lot of people consider this their best album, but I've always had a hard time getting into this one. I like a lot of their work but this one never really stood out to me in the past. It's been a while since I've listened to it so I'll be interested to see if my opinion has changed.

This should be right up my alley and I know a lot of people consider this their best album, but I've always had a hard time getting into this one. I like a lot of their work but this one never really stood out to me in the past. It's been a while since I've listened to it so I'll be interested to see if my opinion has changed.
I mean it seems like nondescript Brit pop.

I mean it seems like nondescript Brit pop.
That seemed to be my recollection. I like the overall sound but nothing really stood out to me. I always preferred "Some Friendly" much better. I remember this one being all kind of mid tempo tracks that all kind of sounded the same to me. It just kind of sounds like a less interesting version of what Oasis and The Verve were doing.

I will say that all this samey samey Brit pop makes me appreciate the Coral for being different if nothing else.
I think The Coral were a bit too late to technically fall under the Britpop Umbrella, but that first album by them is one of my all time favorites. My favorite was always Super Furry Animals for Britpop that was doing things a bit different.

Back