The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I guess I should have clarified, his post White Stripes stuff. By the time he had released his last two albums I had already lost interest completely and haven’t heard a note of either. I read a lot of reviews and comments and neither sounded like something I would enjoy but I guess at least he’s trying something different. Also, it’s kind of fun to watch people who really love White contort themselves into a “”Well, actually it’s not that bad” stance.

Next time I do a purge the last 3 have to go. They are just bad. I can’t see myself buying anything of his again. Upto and including acoustic I enjoy it all even if it began to tail off after Elephant.

I guess I should have clarified, his post White Stripes stuff. By the time he had released his last two albums I had already lost interest completely and haven’t heard a note of either. I read a lot of reviews and comments and neither sounded like something I would enjoy but I guess at least he’s trying something different. Also, it’s kind of fun to watch people who really love White contort themselves into a “”Well, actually it’s not that bad” stance.
I thought you did?

To clarify my point, I don’t think his last three albums were informed by modern rock radio. I think they were informed by his brain short-circuiting.

ba2d40cd66ad2a41b9c87289a168cfe6ec30eebf

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

My third favorite album of theirs (after Get Behind Me Satan and De Stijl). 4/5.

I like the Redd Cross version with added bass.

This version, 4.5/5.

To clarify my point, I don’t think his last three albums were informed by modern rock radio. I think they were informed by his brain short-circuiting.
I understand, to clarify further, I was saying his solo work immediately following the White Stripes, Blunderbuss and Lazaretto (combined with his post white stripes Reconteurs, and Dead Weathers work) was driven by a desire to make modern rock radio hits which he succeeded at. Unfortunately that music was of little interest to me and I didn’t stick around for the albums that followed.

ba2d40cd66ad2a41b9c87289a168cfe6ec30eebf

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

This is the only White Stripes album I've actually listened to quite a bit. I still dig it, but I'm also in the "Jack White is overrated" camp. Score 4/5

Now onto Undertones! This is such a great album, right in the sweet spot between punk and pop. "Teenage Kicks" is the anthem here, but the whole album is a gem! Score 5/5

Last edited:
Never Heard of them. Paging @Joe Mac

Me neither.

I’m really shocked neither of you have heard teenage kicks but them maybe it’s ubiquity isn’t replicated across the ocean? It was John Peel’s all time favourite song.

In all honesty they’re not a band I am hugely into outside of singles but they have some damn good singles, My Perfect Cousin being another.

In all honesty they’re not a band I am hugely into outside of singles but they have some damn good singles, My Perfect Cousin being another.

Yes, and they are similar to The Buzzcocks in that way (I mean, "Singles Going Steady" is Buzzcocks best album, and it's a singles comp). But I do think their debut is the exception here and works great as an album. I think there's almost a Ramones-like quality to it, in that every song just sparks!

11/14/23
View attachment 187173
The Undertones - The Undertones

I have known who Feargal Sharkey is forever, but I didn't know he was the singer in The Undertones for some reason.

John Peel really liked 'Teenage Kicks', it's a good song.

It is a bit samey, but a good samey?? It's a good three-chord pop-punk song they play 16 times!

2.5 stars / 5 stars.

Back