The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I’d really like to know what lots of people think about this… off the top of my head it would be interesting to hear from @duke86fan @Kris @mcherry @nolalady @Yer Ol' Uncle D @TenderLovingKiller® I may think of others later.

An interesting thought (that I don’t agree with), Riki Rachtman says they are punk. Although, I guess in the Ramones kind of vein they are. There was an epiphany I had a couple of years ago where I realized much of the album is just straight up (think Chuck Berry) Rock N Roll. It’s just dense.

This is kind of a seminal album for me and I think for guys (especially) of a certain age. It felt dangerous and like something that was just for us.

Fun story… my first tape copy of this… the PRMC had done their thing and in NC, at the time, you had to be 18 to buy an album with a Parental Advisory sticker on it. So a 14 year old Lee somehow convinced his fairly socially conservative and very religious mother (who listened primarily to Peter, Paul, & Mary, Simon & Garfunkel, and the Gaithers) to buy the cassette covered with skulls on a cross with the sticker on it at a trip to Roses.

Sorry to kill the Madonna vibe, but I just saw I was summoned by @Lee Newman to orate on GnR.

It's gonna be to the point.

I was a ripe old (compared to most of y'all) 27 when Appetite was released. It really didn't do anything for me. I was way more alternative/noise/goth centric at that point in time.

Oddly enough, I saw GnR live in 1987. I had a college buddy that lived in Birmingham, MI and I'd turned him onto The Cult in '85. The Cult booked a date at The State Theatre in Detroit in August 1987 (with GnR as the opener) and he implored me to come up for that show. I complied.

I flew into Detroit 3 days after one of the worst US air disasters in history. Came in right over the burned-out section of I95. Ominous. Eerie. Crushingly sad...

A couple nights later was the show. The State Theatre looked like a non-descript office building on the outside. It was an incredibly beautiful ornate room inside. GnR opened. No real memories of their set. The Cult - that's a whole 'nother thing. One of the best shows I've ever seen. They were an unstoppable force in '87. I could go into more detail, but this is supposed to be GnR centric.

Summation to put things in my perspective - The Cult Detroit '87 was one of the best shows I ever saw. I know I saw GnR in '87 but I don't really remember any specifics.

And to echo @jamieanderson1968, Izzy Stradlin was, to me, the best part of GnR. I saw Izzy And The JuJu Hounds in a tiny bar and they were spectacular. I need to dig up my recording of that one. So good...

Alright, I'm back.
10/10/23
View attachment 184285
Madonna - Music

To me, it speaks well for her career that Music is a very good quality Madonna record and yet I wouldn't put it in my top5. For those who will inevitably ask:
  1. Confessions on a Dance Floor
  2. Ray of Light
  3. Like a Prayer
  4. Madonna
  5. Erotica
You could interpret 1) and 2) more like 1a) and 1b); some days it is too hard to choose.

The single tracks on Music are all great. As @Sonicpharmacist mentioned, I do agree that it is underrated and "What it Feels Like For a Girl" is an excellent single. I love how producer William Orbit from Ray of Light returns for "Runaway Lover" and "Amazing," both very much in the aforementioned vein, and both good. Closing cut "Gone" is a tad forgettable, as a main complaint.

Still a worthy entry in her catalog. I like nine of her full-length albums, all of those ranking at least 3/5 for me. Here...

Rating: 3.5/5 [Great]

I realized I haven’t listened to her last two albums. I should probably give them a listen.
good luck

Last edited:
10/11/23
2d6eb3ee73cf0d5132b46dd0d6bf9f23160bf0a2

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Pretty hot take but Music is the first album in Madonna’s discography that just does nothing from me. Her run from her debut to “Ray of Light” are all 8s or 9s but then I get to this one and I just can’t get into it. I just listened to it an hour ago and I barely remember what I heard. After “Ray of Light”, “Confessions” is her only other really good album, the rest are bad or meh (I have a soft spot for “Hard Candy” but I’m not gonna pretend like it’s good lol)

Pretty hot take but Music is the first album in Madonna’s discography that just does nothing from me. Her run from her debut to “Ray of Light” are all 8s or 9s but then I get to this one and I just can’t get into it. I just listened to it an hour ago and I barely remember what I heard. After “Ray of Light”, “Confessions” is her only other really good album, the rest are bad or meh (I have a soft spot for “Hard Candy” but I’m not gonna pretend like it’s good lol)
Even “I’m Breathless”?

Also
View attachment 184356
Aoife O’Donovan - Plays Nebraska

Just got done spinning the Boss’s version for the generator thread:

One of my favorite singers covering one of my favorite songwriter’s masterpiece (personally I like and listen to Born to Run more).

I May give the Adams version a listen later because I’m morbidly curious.
Don’t forget Steve Earle’s Guitar Town era cover of “State Trooper” if you’re working your way through Nebraska covers.

Also, if we are talking Nebraska covers, I had this CD back in the day and enjoyed it a great deal…

Don’t forget Steve Earle’s Guitar Town era cover of “State Trooper” if you’re working your way through Nebraska covers.

Also, if we are talking Nebraska covers, I had this CD back in the day and enjoyed it a great deal…

Johnny Cash has done Johnny 99, Highway Patrolman, and State Trooper. There’s a part of me that thinks he had probably done the whole thing and I could cobble it together, that’s a rabbit hole I don’t have the time for today!

I'd really like a vinyl pressing of this.
Ben Harper's version of "My Father's House" is 👌

I tend to avoid movie soundtrack stuff In general so I haven’t listened to that “Evita” or “Who’s That Girl” outside of a few songs
Yeah, Madonna's greatest hits collections is an amazing comps in their own right but the other reason those are important is that they are an easy way to collect a lot of those non-album and soundtrack singles.

Yeah, Madonna's greatest hits collections is an amazing comps in their own right but the other reason those are important is that they are an easy way to collect a lot of those non-album and soundtrack singles.

Before I got into her my favorite song was “Into the Groove” so I was pretty disappointed that it was a non album cut. I was shocked in general how many songs I knew from her were non album cuts

Back