The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Before I got into her my favorite song was “Into the Groove” so I was pretty disappointed that it was a non album cut. I was shocked in general how many songs I knew from her were non album cuts
This is the toddler’s favorite song. I am in the market for a European second pressing of Like a Virgin as a result.

Before I got into her my favorite song was “Into the Groove” so I was pretty disappointed that it was a non album cut. I was shocked in general how many songs I knew from her were non album cuts
Right! I feel like she was included on so many popular film soundtracks in the 80s/90s and everyone became a hit single with a music video in heavy rotation on MTV.

I’m a huge Springsteen fan and have been ever since I was a kid borrowing my sisters’ Live 75/85 box set. I can’t really rate this objectively since it is so engraved in my whole's being. I love Nebraska, naturally, but I might still rate the other four albums in his incredible run from 75-84 higher than it (yes, even BITUSA). And if you count the outtakes from these years there’s even a couple more solid albums between them.
With that said Highway Patrolman is a perfect country song, and with lyrics rich enough to inspire a great movie (The Indian Runner).
And yep, whole album is a masterpiece
Score: 5

Nebraska is a 5 for me for sure.
It's pretty much a perfect album, despite being the absolute worst Springsteen album to listen to in a car (those whoops are bound to cause an accident when you've got the system so cranked for the quiet vocals, then they come in all piercing and sudden.) Releasing the 4-tracks instead of re-recording with the band was a masterstroke. A masterclass in atmosphere.
This was the Springsteen album I loved before I loved Springsteen. I wouldn't say it's my favourite these days, but that's just a testament to how incredible The Boss's peak run was.

As a giant fan of Lo-Fi Rock Nebraska was my entry point to the world of Springsteen. Prior to finding that album I hadn’t really given The Boss much of a chance but after falling in love with Nebraska I finally understood what Bruce Springsteen was all about.

Last edited:
I grew up with Born in the USA in total ubiquity. I loved Tunnel of Love and followed his career loosely pretty much from that point forward. An Uncle gave me a tape of Born to Run when I was in High School, but I didn't really get into him until around the time of The Rising. I joined the Vinyl Den record club (the Dualtone club before they merged with Magnolia) to get a double shot of Nebraska and John Prine's debut. I had explored his entire catalog at this point besides The River (still not an album I have spent much time with) and Nebraska (I knew some covers). Anyhow, it will never be the album I pull off the shelf the most from him (see Born to Run), but it is without a doubt his masterpiece. It is perfect.

10/12/23
e65d3b71e4f983e8a2eb65580bb43ea942b34626

Cheap Trick - At Budokan

I know that I have listened to Cheap Trick. I know I have listened to this. I have never really spent time LISTENING to it. I also couldn't tell you the name of a song by them, although I want to say they sing the song that goes "I want you to want me, I need you to need me..." But I could be completely off on this. I also know that this is THE album to listen to I believe which also strikes me as funny because I know there is a lot of hate re: live albums.

I know that I have listened to Cheap Trick. I know I have listened to this. I have never really spent time LISTENING to it. I also couldn't tell you the name of a song by them, although I want to say they sing the song that goes "I want you to want me, I need you to need me..." But I could be completely off on this. I also know that this is THE album to listen to I believe which also strikes me as funny because I know there is a lot of hate re: live albums.
I’m sure you know “Surrender” and yeah, “I Want You To Want Me” were massive. Cheap Trick is a lot of fun. All of their 70s albums were pretty great.

They are kinda like Kiss or Peter Frampton in that their live albums were the albums caused them to blow up. Lots of high energy rock & roll goodness.

Coming on the end of this first listen… it’s okay. I definitely knew the “this next song is the first song off our new album” bit of Surrender. I do really like I Want You to Want Me. I quite enjoy the drumming. Was really impressed for how clear it sounds for a live album. Most of this listen was over Qobuz streaming at CD quality so I wonder what it will sound like over the hifi tomorrow at full res.

There’s nothing wrong with it, but nothing really jumps out about it to me.

Never really been into Frampton (I’m sure Comes Alive is on the list). I don’t think I’ve ever listened to the Kiss live albums but Beth/Detroit Rock City was one of the 45s my parents gave me that Christmas in the first grade , so Kiss has always had a special place in my heart… even if I’m not a huge fan. I do think I have owned a copy of Destroyer since I was twelve though in one format or another.

Last edited:
10/11/23
2d6eb3ee73cf0d5132b46dd0d6bf9f23160bf0a2

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

I haven't listened to this recently enough to give an honest opinion nor do I want to. With that, I'm going to let The Boss go on to someone else. Enjoy.

10/12/23

Cheap Trick - At Budokan

I find the first four Cheap Trick albums sublime. All power pop punk perfection. And as much as musically stunted Kiss tried to be comic book characters, Cheap Trick one-upped them without even trying with their juxtaposition of the goofy (Rick and Bun E.) and the suave (Robin and Tom). And most importantly, they could play.

Mt favorite Cheap Trick song from Budokan. Not on the original release...

My favorite Cheap Trick song used to perfection in the Over The Edge soundtrack from 1979...

I grew up with Born in the USA in total ubiquity. I loved Tunnel of Love and followed his career loosely pretty much from that point forward. An Uncle gave me a tape of Born to Run when I was in High School, but I didn't really get into him until around the time of The Rising. I joined the Vinyl Den record club (the Dualtone club before they merged with Magnolia) to get a double shot of Nebraska and John Prine's debut. I had explored his entire catalog at this point besides The River (still not an album I have spent much time with) and Nebraska (I knew some covers). Anyhow, it will never be the album I pull off the shelf the most from him (see Born to Run), but it is without a doubt his masterpiece. It is perfect.

The two Springsteen albums you’ve spent the least time with are my two favourites by him lol.

I think I go for the river more often but prefer this.

Springsteen is a bit like the Beatles or Bowie for me in that it was one of my dad’s favourites so it was played a lot when I was a kid so it’s kinda just always been in my consciousness. Actually it was probably played more because he was still making music my dad was interested in at that time so new stuff would have been coming in periodically too.

10/12/23

Cheap Trick - At Budokan

This is kind of "meh" for me. I can see how it might sound good live, if you are into it. But I feel like the recording is pretty lackluster (maybe we're just spoiled by modern recording technology), the crowd noise is kind of annoying and overall, I've just never been a fan of Cheap Trick.

To each their own obviously but for someone who loves the live music experience such as yourself; going to multiple shows a week, what do ya dislike about live albums?
I don't want to relive someone else's experience, modern or from decades past. Being in the moment (almost always) is the only way for me.

Back