The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I have never listened to this album. Last.fm tells me I listened to Lamp Lit Prose once.
Dirty Projectors came on my radar with Rise Above, albums prior to Bitte Orca. It’s has an interesting concept where the lead singer, David Longstreth attempted to record his own version of Black Flag’s Damaged from memory. It sounds nothing like hardcore punk and explored lots of African Rhythms, I enjoyed it quite a bit but Bitte Orca ratcheted things up several levels. I think the part what makes Bitte Orca so interesting is the complex vocal harmonies of Amber Coffman, Angel Deradoorian, and Haley Dekle. Turning the spotlight on them really allowed this album to shine. It was kinda their apex as a group though. There follow up was still very good though they lost Deradoorian from the mix. After that things change quite a bit after Longstreth and Coffman broke up and she too left the group, he would create a self titled a break up album that’s lyrics read a bit too much like diary entries to be enjoyable.

One of my coolest moments of the Bitte Orca’s era was when the girls blew Questlove’s mind backstage at Fallon.

Last edited:
Dirty Projectors came on my radar with Rise Above, albums prior to Bitte Orca. It’s has an interesting concept where the lead singer, David Longstreth attempted to record his own version of Black Flag’s Damaged from memory. It sounds nothing like hardcore punk and explored lots of African Rhythms, I enjoyed it quite a bit but Bitte Orca ratcheted things up several levels. I think the part that makes Bitte Orca so interesting is the complex vocal harmonies of Amber Coffman, Angel Deradoorian, and Haley Dekle. Turning the spotlight on them really allowed this album to shine. It was kinda their apex as a group though. There follow up was still very good though they lost Deradoorian from the mix. After that things change quite a bit after Longstreth and Coffman broke up and she too left the group, he would create a self titled a break up album that’s lyrics read a bit too much like diary entries to be enjoyable.

One of my coolest moments of the Bitte Orca’s era was when the girls blew Questlove’s mind backstage at Fallon.

That’s pretty fucking cool. Like the Staves on acid.

7/26/23
65f7f80f53d041924b072ee6b06aad55478b6b0a

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

One of my favorite albums ever

7/26/23
65f7f80f53d041924b072ee6b06aad55478b6b0a

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

I have never listened to this album. Last.fm tells me I listened to Lamp Lit Prose once.

I saw Dirty Projectors open for Björk and enjoyed their set, but I don't believe I've ever listened to one of their albums.

I don’t think it was in the old forum days. Had to be just after they shut it down because I didn’t get it. Might have been just announced when they asked us about time.

That was the horrible Phoenix one. Maybe it was shortly afterwards and I was tied in to a 3 month. Or I was scoffing from the sidelines lol.

That was the horrible Phoenix one. Maybe it was shortly afterwards and I was tied in to a 3 month. Or I was scoffing from the sidelines lol.

January 2020 so I was definitely out at that point.

Edit: Or was I actually, I’d done a brief re dip for QOTSA in Nov 2019 so I might still have been in a 3 month sub from that.

No. That's the album after that. Swing Lo Magelllan istill has the same singers as this one.
On Bitte Orca the group had 3 female vocalists; Amber Coffman, Angel Deradoorian, and Haley Dekle. For their follow up, Swing Lo Magellan Angel Deradoorian had left the group.

Following that release The lead singer, David Longstreth and Amber Coffman, who had been dating; broke up and she left the group as well. Which resulted in his break up album that I don’t believe featured any female vocalists at all.

On Bitte Orca the group had 3 female vocalists; Amber Coffman, Angel Deradoorian, and Haley Dekle. For their follow up, Swing Lo Magellan Angel Deradoorian had left the group.

Following that release The lead singer, David Longstreth and Amber Coffman, who had been dating; broke up and she left the group as well. Which resulted in his break up album that I don’t believe featured any female vocalists at all.
Ah, ok. That all sounds very familiar now.

Angel was my favorite she contributed some vocals to one Hamilton Leathouser solo albums as well. Both her and Amber have released solo albums that are pretty good.

My favorite solo release by a member of the Dirty Projectors was Nat Baldwins, which features an amazing cover of my favorite Arthur Russell tune, “A Little Lost”.

Angel was my favorite she contributed some vocals to one Hamilton Leathouser solo albums as well. Both her and Amber have released solo albums that are pretty good.

My favorite solo release by a member of the Dirty Projectors was Nat Baldwins, which features an amazing cover of my favorite Arthur Russell tune, “A Little Lost”.

I've got 2 of Deradoorian's albums, love them both.

Back