The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I will give Sting credit for being a good sport in poking a bit of fun at himself in Only Murders In The Building.

Not sure if it is because he is less in the spotlight anymore or he has toned down his “Sting-ness” in recent years, but he is much less annoying than he was in the 80s and 90s.

I really like The Police. I really like this album. It still has the energy of the first album, but as said above and elsewhere, the sound that would dominate the rest of their career and the 80’s is here.

Some really smart Psychology or Sociology grad student should write a paper on what it is about Uber successful front men that bristles people the wrong way.

I do think Sting is different from Bono and Morrissey. Moz, I suspect, has a certain amount of self hate going on. I truly believe Bono is hurt by all of it. I don’t think Sting gives a fuck.
He’s too busy with narrating nature documentaries and marathon tantric sex sessions to give a fuck.

7/25/23

View attachment 178498Nico - Chelsea Girl

Music confession time. I've tried so many times and could never get into The Velvet Underground apart from maybe a few songs here and there. I'm not enjoying this one at all so far. I'm not sure if I've listened to 2 songs already or 10.

Easily the most sophisticated thing we’ve listened to. Probably the most interesting discovery for me so far. I like orchestral Velvet Underground a lot.

M
She reminds me of Yoko
This is not an opinion I share. Yoko tried too hard to be artistic. I guess neither have traditionally beautiful singing voices so they are similar in that regard. I just find that most of Nicos music is more in line with 60/70 pop chanteuses of that era from a music standpoint and then she applies this deep heavily accented singing voice to it which gives it an air of eerie darkness. I feel like Yoko voice ya No redeeming value and that she music was too avant garde often birding on unlistenable.

I do appreciate Yoko as a person much more than Nico. Nico had said a few thing that sounded pretty Nazi-ish especially when said with a thick German accent.

M

This is not an opinion I share. Yoko tried too hard to be artistic. I guess neither have traditionally beautiful singing voices so they are similar in that regard. I just find that most of Nicos music is more in line with 60/70 pop chanteuses of that era from a music standpoint and then she applies this deep heavily accented singing voice to it which gives it an air of eerie darkness. I feel like Yoko voice ya No redeeming value and that she music was too avant garde often birding on unlistenable.

I do appreciate Yoko as a person much more than Nico. Nico had said a few thing that sounded pretty Nazi-ish especially when said with a thick German accent.
She is playing with harmony in the same way. She does not do the screaming thing, but the singing is very similar. Lower than the accompaniment and a bit flat compared to the rest of the composition. Her intonations and enunciation very much remind me of Yoko too. There is also a bit of Joni here, in as much as it is ornate and folky and her voice doesn’t quite match the setting. The music and composition reminds me of Mary Hopkin.

Last edited:
She is playing with harmony in the same way. She does not do the screaming thing, but the singing is very similar. Lower than the accompaniment and a bit flat compared to the rest of the composition. Her intonations and enunciation very much remind me of Yoko too. There is also a bit of Joni here to in as much as it is ornate and folky and her voice doesn’t quite match the setting. The music itself and composition reminds me of Mary Hopkin.
it sounds like you have listened to much more Yoko than I. I have never found her music to be enjoyable enough to explore. The handful of songs I have heard (and the live performance we endured at Pitchfork Music Fest years ago) have never lead to me exploring her music in any meaningful way.

it sounds like you have listened to much more Yoko than I. I have never found her music to be enjoyable enough to explore. The handful of songs I have heard (and the live performance we endured at Pitchfork Music Fest years ago) have never had me explore her music.
She’s an interesting songwriter. Wish she wouldn’t scream. Her voice is an acquired taste. I went through a phase post college trying to understand her. I respect what she does but it’s not really for me. There are a few albums like Season of Glass that are incomparable from an emotional standpoint. I also really like Double Fantasy - even her songs. She’s kind of like free jazz or Sonic Youth, it takes an effort to really get what is going on. I’m not sure I found it rewarding enough to recommend her to other people. But there is something there for those willing to put forth the effort.

Last edited:
7/26/23
65f7f80f53d041924b072ee6b06aad55478b6b0a

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

Back