The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Also, there are several albums that I would buy if I came upon them in the wild. This is the first new rabbit hole I want to explore. There is a lot here that appeals to me... very impressive vocal harmonies, interesting melodic structures and challenging composition.

It's also cool to have a bit of perspective on the long term feel of the group. I might explore all but I know that the Black Flag project through the album after this and solo records are things I want to check out.

Also, there are several albums that I would buy if I came upon them in the wild. This is the first new rabbit hole I want to explore. There is a lot here that appeals to me... very impressive vocal harmonies, interesting melodic structures and challenging composition.

It's also cool to have a bit of perspective on the long term feel of the group. I might explore all but I know that the Black Flag project through the album after this and solo records are things I want to check out.
Earlier stuff isn’t bad either, reminds me a bit of that first Grizzly Bear album in that David Longstreth had bigger ideas than he had means to pull all off but it’s still interesting.

Also, not sure if you are familiar with the Dark Was The Night compilation. It was a charity comp compiled and produced by the Dressner Brothers from The National. They were also the guys that put together that killer Day of The Dead Grateful Dead covers comp. Anyways the Dark Was The Night comp is fantastic because lots of interesting covers and collaborations basically by a venerable list of who’s who in late 00s indie rock scene. Included on there is probably the perfect collaboration for Dirty Projectors, they preform a song with David Byrne and it’s a stellar track…

…and a super fun live performance of the track sans Byrne.

I know the title track but I don’t think I’ve ever listened to the whole thing. Really pre Krush Groove is a pretty big blind spot for me on Hip Hop. I kind of remember being aware of Krush Groove, Beastie Boys, Run DMC and LL by 87. But didn’t really explore Hip Hop further until PE released Fear.

I mean this is pretty much my review:

Four songs in and I have a big stupid smile on my face. It’s Saturday morning. Cartoons are done, gonna watch Soul Train and then some Kung Fu movies. Wishing that I had a Defender machine in my house because the Atari version sucks.

7/27/23
View attachment 178667
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message

My feelings about this album have not changed since I first heard it for my own project. Starts off quite well with the first two cuts, then gets to cringe level 100 in a flash (haha).
Anyways...
This one starts very strong with the funky disco "She's Fresh" to ignite the party. Love the Tom Tom Club sample on the follow up "It's Nasty" as well. Unfortunately, the album's rating goes down a full star with the rather kitschy and tacky "Scorpio," hilariously out of place. Both "Dreamin'" and "You Are" are lyrically absurd, mediocre slow burners. The self-titled track holds up well...I guess, though I just wished it would end after "You Are."
Reflecting on the whole, even though the runtime is nowhere near a marathon, it is inconsistent and not that impressive. My least favorite listen so far.

I still do not view this record anything close to noteworthy. Yes, even if the self-titled track holds cultural/historical significance.

Rating: 2/5 [Mediocre]

7/28/23
4b387b001b4918228fff5f9c4ddf20aa2ac11201

BB King - Live at the Regal

Back