The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

On a serious note, I think this is the single most overrated album in the classic rock canon and possibly in all of music history. It does have its moments and many of my favorite Floyd songs reside here. However, it is pretty much the end of the classic Floyd line up as Waters had pretty much taken over the band. It's pretentious to a nauseating degree.

Comfortably Numb is one of the most perfect songs ever.

I actually prefer the Waters Live in Berlin version as I feel that version lives up to all the pretense and obliterates it with a circus. Also Van Morrison singing Comfortably Numb is one of the most sublime things in history.

Also, the album yesterday was by a chucklefuck who was a genius. I'm honestly unsure of Waters genius, I honestly don't know his solo stuff very well. The Final Cut and what I have heard of his solo stuff leads me to believe he just remade this album a whole bunch. Also, WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY?? He is like my wife's loony conspiracy theory uncle except with a large public platform to spout his crazy fucking shit.

It really has been depressing to watch some of the Gods who had Hammers just turn into batshit crazy old men.

Also, the movie is a goddamned mess.

Funny story, I had testicular torsion when I was 15 years old. The night after my surgery, I was on a morphine drip, and they debuted the film on MTV. This was the first time I had ever seen the movie (or done any type of substance that people use to recreate). That set up a lot of what I did for the next 11 years or so. Most of that resulted in the destruction of a lot of brain cells.

With all that said, will definitely make a point to pull out my copy and spin it this weekend.

Last edited:
On a serious note, I think this is the single most overrated album in the classic rock canon and possibly in all of music history. It does have its moments and many of my favorite Floyd songs reside here. However, it is pretty much the end of the classic Floyd line up as Waters had pretty much taken over the band. It's pretentious to a nauseating degree.

I actually prefer the Waters Live in Berlin version as I feel that version lives up to all the pretense and obliterates it with a circus. Also Van Morrison singing Comfortably Numb is one of the most sublime things in history.

Also, the album yesterday was by a chucklefuck who was a genius. I'm honestly unsure of Waters genius, I honestly don't know his solo stuff very well. The Final Cut and what I have heard of his solo stuff leads me to believe he just remade this album a whole bunch. Also, WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY?? He is like my wife's loony conspiracy theory uncle except with a large public platform to spout his crazy fucking shit.

It really has been depressing to watch some of the Gods who had Hammers just turn into batshit crazy old men.

Funny story, I had testicular torsion when I was 15 years old. The night of my surgery, I was on a morphine drip, and they debuted the film on MTV. This was the first time I had ever seen the movie (or done any type of substance that people use to recreate). That set up a lot of what I did for the next 11 years or so. Most of that resulted in the destruction of a lot of brain cells.

With all that said, will definitely make a point to pull out my copy and spin it this weekend.
First off, testicular torsion sounds absolutely horrible. I only know what it is because a White Sox player had it a few years ago but fuck doesn’t that sound just excruciatingly painful. You deserved all the morphine for that one.

I agree with you for the most part on The Wall, It’s gots few amazing tracks but overall the album is a bit boring while simultaneously being over the top,

First off, testicular torsion sounds absolutely horrible. I only know what it is because a White Sox player had it a few years ago but fuck doesn’t that sound just excruciatingly painful. You deserved all the morphine for that one.

I agree with you for the most part on The Wall, It’s gots few amazing tracks but overall the album is a bit boring while simultaneously being over the top,
I don’t remember a lot of things, but I remember that morning and the pain very vividly. Imagine being kicked in the balls and that intense makes you buckle over sharp pain at impact never ending.

My dad was a Marine Gunnery Sergeant. He had recently come back from a stint in Iwakuni. One of his Corporals had had it right before my dad came back.

I walked in my parents room and said “my balls hurt” bent over and my dad said let’s go to the emergency room.

(He likes to tell the story of how they asked him to step out of the curtained area they had me in when the nurse asked me all about my sexual history when he could still hear every word)

He has two granddaughters as thanks for his quick thinking that morning.

I’ve never felt more relief than the moment the doctor untwisted them.

Why does Waiting for Worms open like a Beach Boys tune?

It’s a fucking mess, but I still kind of love it. It’s kind of like my dislike of the White Album, it’s just not all that from this band…. I don’t quite think it is their worst album, that’s easily the Final Cut. Not many bands have a four album run of the caliber of Dark Side to The Wall. The Wall is easily the least of that run and seems to get a lot of the attention.

I don’t remember a lot of things, but I remember that morning and the pain very vividly. Imagine being kicked in the balls and that intense makes you buckle over sharp pain at impact never ending.

My dad was a Marine Gunnery Sergeant. He had recently come back from a stint in Iwakuni. One of his Corporals had had it right before my dad came back.

I walked in my parents room and said “my balls hurt” bent over and my dad said let’s go to the emergency room.

(He likes to tell the story of how they asked him to step out of the curtained area they had me in when the nurse asked me all about my sexual history when he could still hear every word)

He has two granddaughters as thanks for his quick thinking that morning.

I’ve never felt more relief than the moment the doctor untwisted them.
my stomach hurts just thinking about it.

my stomach hurts just thinking about it.
When I had kidney stones the first time about twenty years ago, a cook that worked for me (I was managing an Applebees at the time) drove me to Raleigh Community Hospital. He found me in a fetal position in the bar during morning line checks.

I blacked out during check in. I woke up a couple of hours later and a doctor kind of berated me a bit. It took them two extra hours to diagnose me because “everyone” says the pain from kidney stones is a ten. Even women who have given birth. I said six or some shit. Because it’s a threshold question and the torsion is my ten.

Laughs maniacally....

oh @Joe Mac

:devilish:

Eugh! The title track on this really fucks me off. Comfortably numb is so boring it nearly made me fall asleep whilst driving once when it came on the car radio.

Funny story, I had testicular torsion when I was 15 years old. The night after my surgery, I was on a morphine drip, and they debuted the film on MTV. This was the first time I had ever seen the movie (or done any type of substance that people use to recreate). That set up a lot of what I did for the next 11 years or so. Most of that resulted in the destruction of a lot of brain cells.

Disagree! The wall is bad but dark side of the moon is worse and higher rated.

I do enjoy listening to The Wall. There's some good stuff on there but I definitely just works better as a full album. Only a few songs like "Hey You" and "Comfortably Numb" can really stand on their own. Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 is one of the most overrated classic rock radio "hits" out there. Pt. 1 and Pt. 3 are miles better but wouldn't work as a standalone song. I'll give it 4/5.

7/7/23

20ebb5d258c9df2f58d39b0c63052135e10a39df

Pink Floyd - The Wall

They ruin 'Another Brick In The Wall' with part 2.

Were the children specifically chosen from the set of 'Oliver'?

The guitar solo is good, though.

But then it is David Gilmour.

'Goodbye Blue Sky' is a nice song.

'Hey You' is very good.

Actually shivered as soon as the first notes of 'Comfortably Numb' hit. Great song.

I don't particularly like that it really turned into a musical by the last couple of songs.

Overall, I am glad to have listened to Roger Waters 'The Wall' as performed by Roger Waters 'Pink Floyd'.

3 / 5 stars.

While there are great songs on The Wall, Roger really weighs it down. Even if he didn't become a total asshole in later years, the concept behind the album is so over-wrought. The best parts are when Gilmour can cut loose like on Run Like Hell. Personally I think the Final Cut is a better overall record. 3.5 stars (or bricks in this case)

I do have to say that this hit me differently with a listen yesterday than it has in the past.

I don’t like the origin (Waters was increasingly frustrated with the audience and after spitting on an audience member at a show, his manager and producer had a conversation with him where he stated that he wished there were a wall between him and the audience) and the first few tracks that place blame on everything/one but himself.

However, I don’t think I’ve ever quite identified with it really before yesterday. I would say I have misanthropic tendencies anyhow but yesterday I really felt isolated from everyone but my family and I can get why Waters got there. I think part of its allure may be that folks tap into that dark side of their reality through it without having to succumb to the dark. It, in the right setting, could be therapeutic. This was certainly never really a use I had for it before but it showed it in a new light.

It’s still a fucking mess, but that may be the point.

My first Pink Floyd experience was my uncle taking me to see the laser show of The Wall when I was 8. It seared into my brain and got me into exploring music beyond what my dad had in his collection from before he'd died. My uncle introduced me to a lot of great music over the years, but this album always transported me because of the time, place, and emotional state I was in when I first heard it. My dad had died when I was 5, and my mom wasn't the easiest person. She was way too overprotective and built a wall around my sister and I, moved us to another country even to isolate us, which at the same time made me want to block out everyone and everything except for what I could delve into in my imagination. Say what you will about the flaws, especially how Roger sucks as a person and ruined the best parts of Floyd, but there are few albums that can take you on a journey in your mind quite like this.

And it's better than Dark Side of the Moon, but neither is better than earlier Floyd although I wouldn't come to that realization until I was older and could get access to listen to all of it in the good old Napster days.

My first Pink Floyd experience was my uncle taking me to see the laser show of The Wall when I was 8. It seared into my brain and got me into exploring music beyond what my dad had in his collection from before he'd died. My uncle introduced me to a lot of great music over the years, but this album always transported me because of the time, place, and emotional state I was in when I first heard it. My dad had died when I was 5, and my mom wasn't the easiest person. She was way too overprotective and built a wall around my sister and I, moved us to another country even to isolate us, which at the same time made me want to block out everyone and everything except for what I could delve into in my imagination. Say what you will about the flaws, especially how Roger sucks as a person and ruined the best parts of Floyd, but there are few albums that can take you on a journey in your mind quite like this.

And it's better than Dark Side of the Moon, but neither is better than earlier Floyd although I wouldn't come to that realization until I was older and could get access to listen to all of it in the good old Napster days.
Yeah, I think first experience may play a role in it too. My first experience outside of hearing ABITW pt 2 on the radio was the film in that hospital room. Much of the next 25 years of it was just trying to make sense of the movie. It actually detracted from me being able to understand it. I think Dark Side is a masterwork, it’s also the last thing they did that wasn’t overly personal. Starting with Wish You Were Here, the albums become very introspective. The prog rock sort of goes to the wayside much as post Barrett, the psychedelia became of secondary importance to exploring what could be done with the music.

It’s actually a really interesting dynamic of approach to music that I really didn’t comprehend. It will be interesting for me to come at The Final Cut from this vantage point instead merely dismissing it as The Wall 2: MORE WATERS.

It even gives more context to the post Waters stuff. Here was the rest of the band trying to deal with what to do next as the visionary that had brought them to their highest acclaim had effectively burned it all to the ground.

It’s personal to an uncomfortable extent and instead of understanding that, I’d merely been repulsed by it.

Have lived with the Wall for many years - it’s one I loved early on- great production, a proper concept , inspired guitar work and if you have the time a great immersion experience- these days I’m a bit more ambivalent… Comfortably Numb will always be a classic , but it signifies the end of the classic Floyd years and I find the overall album in places a bit of a slog - wish I’d seen the proper live show though

Co sign on all of this. I like the music on it quite a bit but, like @Hemotep I think early floyd is better

Back