The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

On a serious note, I think this is the single most overrated album in the classic rock canon and possibly in all of music history. It does have its moments and many of my favorite Floyd songs reside here. However, it is pretty much the end of the classic Floyd line up as Waters had pretty much taken over the band. It's pretentious to a nauseating degree.

Comfortably Numb is one of the most perfect songs ever.

I actually prefer the Waters Live in Berlin version as I feel that version lives up to all the pretense and obliterates it with a circus. Also Van Morrison singing Comfortably Numb is one of the most sublime things in history.

Also, the album yesterday was by a chucklefuck who was a genius. I'm honestly unsure of Waters genius, I honestly don't know his solo stuff very well. The Final Cut and what I have heard of his solo stuff leads me to believe he just remade this album a whole bunch. Also, WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY?? He is like my wife's loony conspiracy theory uncle except with a large public platform to spout his crazy fucking shit.

It really has been depressing to watch some of the Gods who had Hammers just turn into batshit crazy old men.

Also, the movie is a goddamned mess.

Funny story, I had testicular torsion when I was 15 years old. The night after my surgery, I was on a morphine drip, and they debuted the film on MTV. This was the first time I had ever seen the movie (or done any type of substance that people use to recreate). That set up a lot of what I did for the next 11 years or so. Most of that resulted in the destruction of a lot of brain cells.

With all that said, will definitely make a point to pull out my copy and spin it this weekend.
IMO, Tommy is the most overrated in history. That being said, I do agree that The Wall is overrated, and inconsistent at best. For every Comfortably Numb and Mother there is a Don’t Leave Me Now. All of Side A works perfectly. I can’t stand Brick Pt 2 on its own, but in the context of the album, it fits well (I especially love the transition from Happiest Days into Brick Pt 2). Side B opens well with Goodbye Blue Sky, but the only other track I think is “good“ is One of My Turns. The rest…meh. Side C is pretty fucking great, Hey You and Comfortably Numb are probably my favorite on the album. Side D….I actually like The Show Must Go On and Waiting For the Worms, but The Trial, while it fits the story, is pretty dreadful, and if I never hear Run Like Hell again, that would be fine with me.

That was diverting. It’s fun. It felt a little … reserved… I’m not sure how much of that is a crappy YouTube upload which made it feel like the production was all over the place which may be the case as it may have been recorded over a number of dates. Blueberry Hill is a classic. I love the horn hit at the beginning of each bar in Honey Chile. Trust in Me was another highlight. Wished the levels were up a bit on the piano cause that sounds like it was smoking. 3.

Last edited:
7/11/23
1689045035354.jpeg

Van Morrison - Moondance

We can do a little better than allmusic today:

7/11/23
View attachment 177460

Van Morrison - Moondance

I think from a critical standpoint Astral Weeks is thought of as Van’s magnum opus and rightfully so. Still this is the Van Morrison record I am reaching for the majority of the time.

7/11/23
View attachment 177460

Van Morrison - Moondance

Those first five songs. Wow. "And it Stoned Me" is a perfect opener. The title track swings hard; hell of a tune. "Crazy Love" is a classic that has been covered numerous times. "Caravan" is beautiful, joyous brilliance. "Into the Mystic" is probably my favorite Morrison song, a singer/songwriter masterclass.

Side B isn't nearly as strong, but songs like "These Dreams of You" and "Brand New Day" are worth staying around for.

I also really like this. My favorite of Van the Man's work.

Rating: 4.5/5 [Outstanding]

Back