The NBA Thread

Well walking through Toronto is fun as hell right now
Nothing more fun than walking through a city right after a championship. I rode on a firetruck, shared whiskey with a homeless dude, hugged a cop, watched people dance on an overturned car, and smoked a blunt in the middle of broad street the night the Phillies won in 08. Sadly I was in Mexico when the Eagles won the superbowl and didnt get to experience the city immediately after. Congratulations, I hope you got to soak it all in.

Congrats to the Raptors and to KL for joining the likes of Lebron and Kareem with two finals mvp on two different teams. One hell of a great game. This series reminded me a lot of 2015 when first Love went out (KD) then Kryie( Klay) it sucks when those type of injuries happen but you still got to compete and pull through and the raptors finally overcame their 'choke' status and did it. Super happy for the city and the fans. It was weird after klay's injury I actually started to root for the warriors to win game 6, never thought I would see myself do that, but I also selfishly didn't want basketball to come to an end.

If asterisks are going to be assigned the Warriors have won one championship. And we all know how ludicrous that is.

My biggest surprise was the Draymond Green impersonation of Chris Webber. Didn't make any difference in the outcome just as Webber's TO didn't against Carolina but that just shows a lack of attentiveness.
I mean the TO was their only hope at that point. Hope the Raps miss it and turn it over somehow. There was nothing left for them to do at that point.

Two classic games in a row unfortunately marred by some injuries. Gotta feel for the two players about to enter free agency. I wonder if Durant opts in to his player option now.
KD will get a max from somebody. I don’t see him opting in when he will get a long term deal from someone. Plus you don’t know if he trusts the GS medical staff to work through his rehab. Knicks and nets will both offer a max to him and the Warriors might too. I feel bad for Klay but hope they take care of him. ACL is less serious than Kd’s Achilles and Klay has a better shot at a full recovery.

What an absolutely devastating series for the Warriors though. Lose KD and Klay for all of next year within a span of 72 hours.

KD will get a max from somebody. I don’t see him opting in when he will get a long term deal from someone. Plus you don’t know if he trusts the GS medical staff to work through his rehab. Knicks and nets will both offer a max to him and the Warriors might too. I feel bad for Klay but hope they take care of him. ACL is less serious than Kd’s Achilles and Klay has a better shot at a full recovery.

What an absolutely devastating series for the Warriors though. Lose KD and Klay for all of next year within a span of 72 hours.
Yeah I have no doubt he would still get a max from someone. Just wondering if he might want to rehab where he's comfortable and he can take the year to assess his options next offseason. Still think he opts out, but the opt in might be in play now when it previously wasn't.

Yeah I have no doubt he would still get a max from someone. Just wondering if he might want to rehab where he's comfortable and he can take the year to assess his options next offseason. Still think he opts out, but the opt in might be in play now when it previously wasn't.
The thing is we don’t know how comfortable he is rehabbing there if they told him he couldn’t be badly injured and then he tore his Achilles. For what it’s worth, Woj reported that opting in is KD’s last resort.

Late to the game but congrats Toronto! Great team - they play a brand of basketball I personally enjoy. I'm pretty indifferent about both the warriors and raptors but I'm glad a new team won... and it's cool a Canadian team won something other than an NHL championship. It's been awhile since the Mitch Williams incident
The last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup was the same year as the Mitch Williams incident😳😳

If asterisks are going to be assigned the Warriors have won one championship. And we all know how ludicrous that is.

My biggest surprise was the Draymond Green impersonation of Chris Webber. Didn't make any difference in the outcome just as Webber's TO didn't against Carolina but that just shows a lack of attentiveness.
I mean the TO was their only hope at that point. Hope the Raps miss it and turn it over somehow. There was nothing left for them to do at that point.
Yeah, I think that calling that TO - even without one - was their only option. No way they get the ball off the floor, to a shooter, and then a shot up in time. I was actually really impressed with Iggy fouling Kawhi before the inbound pass got to him - super smart because it preserved the .9 seconds left; I don’t think many players would have realized I gotta foul this guy before the ball gets here.

I stand corrected, I didn't think about ACL tears being something you can keep moving around with, I hope both him and KD the quickest fullest recoveries. I think Klay stays with GSW for sure, I think KD is 50-50, the question is does he opt-in or opt-out and resign with them, or as others predict to NY

A
In an attempt to swing fortunes I am doing everything I didn't do on Monday and NOT watching with @Mather @juiceless and @BattleFlag. Go Raps, pray for the TTC.

And it worked!!!

While I was a bit bummed that I missed the downtown street celebrations (I was on my flight back to Calgary when the game was being played), I'm so incredibly happy to see the Raptors pull it off. The Raptors have already done so much for basketball in our country, and this is a crystallizing moment for the team, city, and Canada. They're a team of great, hard-working players with personality and a sense of how to be ambassadors for how the game should be played.

On the other side of it, if you haven't watched Steph Curry's interview in front of the media panel after the game, watch it. The guy is as classy and well-spoken as they come in the NBA.

I'd also like to point out the highest drafted player in the Raptors entire team is Kawhi at FIFTEEN. That's a hard working team.

Yeah, Masai Ujiri pretty much cemented himself as a GM legend in putting this team together. Essentially, the only draft pick of his that hasn't paid some sort of dividend is Bruno Caboclo. Otherwise, his trade and free agent signings have paid of handsomely.

If you are a 19 year old in Boston you've been able to celebrate 12 championships, if you are a 19 year old in CANADA you've had zero, up until yesterday.

Don't forget TFC.

It's really been a great few years for Toronto sports though. The Jays had a great run, TFC won it and now the raps. Even the Leafs have done well.

Yeah, Masai Ujiri pretty much cemented himself as a GM legend in putting this team together. Essentially, the only draft pick of his that hasn't paid some sort of dividend is Bruno Caboclo. Otherwise, his trade and free agent signings have paid of handsomely.
OG has been out and maybe not going to reach his potential for what people thought he’d be too. Early to tell. But Masai is amazing. He does so much scouting in Africa too which has been a bit less scouted than places like Europe. Siakim was an amazing pick up. The trade for Kawhi was ballsy but paid off amazingly. Hope he stays but will be curious to see what happens in free agency.

Life long Warriors fan here, I just want to congratulate the Raptors on their impressive season. Injuries or not, they proved to be a worthy champion and I'm truly happy for their players and fan base (except Drake)
Yea the worst part of this championship is that the Drake curse has come to an end. I loved that he was sports cursed.

Back