The NBA Thread

Current records aside, I'd still say Sixers and Nets are top-tier east teams to beat. And we still have Middleton, Pat C, and Mr Jingles to get back healthy! Either way I'm obviously joking around 4 games in.
I think it's Bucks and Celtics in the east. I've seen nothing from the Sixers or Nets so far this year that would threaten those two.

Current records aside, I'd still say Sixers and Nets are top-tier east teams to beat. And we still have Middleton, Pat C, and Mr Jingles to get back healthy! Either way I'm obviously joking around 4 games in.
Yea I think the bucks are good. But sixers and nets have been atrocious this year. Neither team has any depth. I’m with @tvham — bucks and Cs are probably the teams to beat in the east this year.

Yea I think the bucks are good. But sixers and nets have been atrocious this year. Neither team has any depth. I’m with @tvham — bucks and Cs are probably the teams to beat in the east this year.
Sixers massively improved their depth for this year. Last year Thybulle and Niang were getting 6th and 7th man minutes and are currently 10th and 8th in mpg respectively. Shake Milton and Furkan Korkmaz were regular rotation players and have played a total of 22 and 4 minutes this year.

I haven't given them my full attention yet due to the Phillies but it seems the slow start is from getting boat raced out in transition. Outside of the Celtics and Bucks, the sixers are the only other team I'm fairly confident will be a top 6 team in the east. But I won't think that will matter come playoffs because I'm not confident doc rivers will be able to tailor an 8 man rotation to attack another team's weaknesses even though the improved depth should give him more options.

We'll see how the coaching thing affects the Celtics but I don't think it will. Not ever actually trying to improve their roster will eventually catch up with the bucks but I don't think this is the year. Both should be heavy favorites for the ECF this year.

Sixers massively improved their depth for this year. Last year Thybulle and Niang were getting 6th and 7th man minutes and are currently 10th and 8th in mpg respectively. Shake Milton and Furkan Korkmaz were regular rotation players and have played a total of 22 and 4 minutes this year.

I haven't given them my full attention yet due to the Phillies but it seems the slow start is from getting boat raced out in transition. Outside of the Celtics and Bucks, the sixers are the only other team I'm fairly confident will be a top 6 team in the east. But I won't think that will matter come playoffs because I'm not confident doc rivers will be able to tailor an 8 man rotation to attack another team's weaknesses even though the improved depth should give him more options.

We'll see how the coaching thing affects the Celtics but I don't think it will. Not ever actually trying to improve their roster will eventually catch up with the bucks but I don't think this is the year. Both should be heavy favorites for the ECF this year.
The sixers depth is again pretty non-existent this season from what I’ve seen. “Massively upgraded” is being really generous. They are 2nd to last in bench ppg with 21.9. And doc is playing them the 2nd least min per game because of how bad the bench is (I think only Brooklyn is playing their bench less). With two stars with injury histories, not too convinced that they won’t miss time playing such heavy minutes. I’d be a little surprised if Nash and Doc make it through the season. Maybe Doc gets fired when he loses in the playoffs again…

Not sure that Melton and Danuel House are huge upgrades off the bench this season over what you had last year. PJ is looking old too. And of course they are getting out run in transition. I do think they will get things together but have no hope for any kind of deep playoff run.

I’m mostly glad that the lakers have been atrocious this season. I think my Knicks will be a .500 team. We’ll beat bad teams mostly but aren’t good enough to make real noise. We’ll eke out some wins against good teams I think and maybe we’ll end up between 8-10.

The sixers depth is again pretty non-existent this season from what I’ve seen. “Massively upgraded” is being really generous. They are 2nd to last in bench ppg with 21.9. And doc is playing them the 2nd least min per game because of how bad the bench is (I think only Brooklyn is playing their bench less). With two stars with injury histories, not too convinced that they won’t miss time playing such heavy minutes. I’d be a little surprised if Nash and Doc make it through the season. Maybe Doc gets fired when he loses in the playoffs again…

Not sure that Melton and Danuel House are huge upgrades off the bench this season over what you had last year. PJ is looking old too. And of course they are getting out run in transition. I do think they will get things together but have no hope for any kind of deep playoff run.

I’m mostly glad that the lakers have been atrocious this season. I think my Knicks will be a .500 team. We’ll beat bad teams mostly but aren’t good enough to make real noise. We’ll eke out some wins against good teams I think and maybe we’ll end up between 8-10.
I don't disagree with any of this except I think Melton is very good.

I don't disagree with any of this except I think Melton is very good.
You guys think Doc makes it to the playoffs If Sixers are still slumping ~Christmas?

You guys think Doc makes it to the playoffs If Sixers are still slumping ~Christmas?
yea. i bet they are at least at .500 at christmas. i'm not sure about their assistant coaching staff but not sure they want to bring someone in mid-season unless Doc's completely lost the locker room. I'm no fan of Doc's but the FO seems to have put all their eggs into the star basket and IMO haven't built out the rest of the team very well. They have a very solid top 3 with Harden JoJo and Maxey but the rest of the roster seems very mediocre to me. With JoJo and Harden missing time every year, a little hard for me to imagine them staying afloat if either/both miss any sort of significant time this season. They just have no depth, again. And not sure what assets they have to significantly improve the roster/add depth.

I think their records will be fine as the year goes along and Doc will lose his job a 2nd straight time playing trez too many minutes in the playoffs.

If they are hovering.500 around the new year, yeah sure, fire him. But he seems to have pull with ownership. Remember, he was here before Morey was. And they give him some input on end of roster moves.

I don’t know who the designer is but I don’t think this is a good idea

View attachment 156885
Reminds me of the white barred “The Game” hats that every frat bro in the 90s owned. The more juvenile the better. That would say “Cocks” or “Beavers” for South Carolina or University of Oregon respectively. It’s one of those things where they have plausible deniability.

Reminds me of the white barred “The Game” hats that every frat bro in the 90s owned. The more juvenile the better. That would say “Cocks” or “Beavers” for South Carolina or University of Oregon respectively. It’s one of those things where they have plausible deniability.

I remember those! When I used to watch football, my wife and I would giggle with all of the innuendos found within the broadcast because we’re adults 🤪

I remember those! When I used to watch football, my wife and I would giggle with all of the innuendos found within the broadcast because we’re adults 🤪
I can relate My SO isn’t a big sports fan, though she tolerates some more than others. Her thing is she will be on the sofa completely tuned out to whatever sport I am watching on the TV but the second a sportscaster says “penetration” she will immediately look up, giggle and say “hehehe penetration” then return her attention back to her laptop with hardly an acknowledgment. I think my girlfriend might be Butthead… which, I know, would make me Beavis.

I can relate My SO isn’t a big sports fan, though she tolerates some more than others. Her thing is she will be on the sofa completely tuned out to whatever sport I am watching on the TV but the second a sportscaster says “penetration” she will immediately look up, giggle and say “hehehe penetration” then return her attention back to her laptop with hardly an acknowledgment. I think my girlfriend might be Butthead… which, I know, would make me Beavis.

Hahaha….yessss!
“Ram it down the middle”

Or for hockey
“He’s got a long stick”

Hahaha….yessss!
“Ram it down the middle”

Or for hockey
“He’s got a long stick”
"Just look at the way he hit that hole with speed and power"

"He really laid the wood on him there"

"Watch as he quickly finds his way to the hole and causes chaos"

"hope he is ok after that pounding he just took"

some good NFL ones

"Pujols squeezes out number 2" in the world series matchup from years ago is also a classic and not just because it was Pujols

Nah, Jokic is quite deserving

I was trying to remember why I had abandoned visting this thread despite being a die hard NBA guy and loving this community. Digging through the past year's posts and seeing you didn't get a single like for this comment is a reminder why. Like the Macklemore / Kenrdrick metaphor is funny but you would think you're defense would have gotten at least a couple thumbs up considering both guys were equally deserving and Jokic was putting up historic #'s.

Dude won 48 games while Austin Rivers, Facu, Forbes and the shell of Will Barton played most of the teams backcourt minutes and JMG was the first big off the bench and a 35 year old Jeff Green started. Wanna guess how many of those guys are getting regular rotation minutes this year?

And before anyone points to the Warriors series-- games 3-5 were close and the Warriors won the title. Jokic is 2-1 in series we are expected to win and has won 2 series we were expected to lose (Clippers, Blazers). He's made the WCF the one year the team had actual playoff experince and was healthy. And the yesr prior, in the team's first playoff run as the second youngest 2 seed in league history, they were one blown 4th quarter lead from the WCF.

Now that they are healthy they are right back to being a top seed in the West.

And despite being deeply skeptical of Malone as a championship level coach, I'd put cash on a healthy Nuggets team making it further this year than a healthy Sixers team. Because the more talent you add around Embid, the more spectacularly he flames out in the playoffs.

Last edited:
I was trying to remember why I had abandoned visting this thread despite being a die hard NBA guy and loving this community. Digging through the past year's posts and seeing you didn't get a single like for this comment is a reminder why. Like the Macklemore / Kenrdrick metaphor is funny but you would think you're defense would have gotten at least a couple thumbs up considering both guys were equally deserving and Jokic was putting up historic #'s.

Dude won 48 games while Austin Rivers, Facu, Forbes and the shell of Will Barton played most of the teams backcourt minutes and JMG was the first big off the bench and a 35 year old Jeff Green started. Wanna guess how many of those guys are getting regular rotation minutes this year?

And before anyone points to the Warriors series-- games 3-5 were close and the Warriors won the title. Jokic is 2-1 in series we are expected to win and has won 2 series we were expected to lose (Clippers, Blazers). He's made the WCF the one year the team had actual playoff experince and was healthy. And the yesr prior, in the team's first playoff run as the second youngest 2 seed in league history, they were one blown 4th quarter lead from the WCF.

Now that they are healthy they are right back to being a top seed in the West.

And despite being deeply skeptical of Malone as a championship level coach, I'd put cash on a healthy Nuggets team making it further this year than a healthy Sixers team. Because the more talent you add around Embid, the more spectacularly he flames out in the playoffs.
You don't have to do this. Jokic won his 2nd MVP in a row. The Sixers have massively win their minutes in the playoffs when Embiid plays.

Last edited:
Back