The National

It's interesting. I'm not really sure how I feel about this album after the first pass. It feels like two albums almost. The final half is incredibly strong, maybe that's just because Rylan and Light Years have already been out there. Going to do listen #2 now.

Side C&D are phenomenal! Where is Her Head is one of the best Broken Social Scene's songs they've ever recorded, Not in Kansas is one of my new National's favorite, Rylan is Rylan and Light Years is my IAETF's Pink Rabbits. I am playing the album a second time.
I would agree however I quite like Side A with the opening track and lead single, 'You Had Your Soul With You', 'Quiet Light' and 'Oblivions'. If it wasn't for the lukewarm 'Roman Holiday', this would probably be my favorite side.

The last time I saw The National I was sooo close to getting Matt’s cup of wine. He poured one and gave it to someone in the front row. I was right behind them, and was super bummed because I had been in that exact spot for Big Thief’s set but I had gone to the bathroom before TN came on.

This time I’m not moving from the very front. And I’m so pumped to see them again. And just a year later at that. Still haven’t gotten my ticket in the mail though
We shared a bottle with Matt, front row at the Roy Wilkins.

Man I don’t want to overplay this album right off the bat, but at the same time it’s all I want to listen to right now.

Might take a break and go back through the rest of their discography.

What I do think is interesting is although IAETF sounds unique in their career, it almost does work as the culmination of TWFM - SWB. Like I can hear both those album’s influences on this one. Curious to see where they go next. But that’s probably quite a ways away.
Probably another rock-rough reset, ala High Violet/self-titled.

I think IaEtF will rival TWFM for top National album, I really need to listen to SWB again
I’m listening to it tonight (SWB). I still am super familiar with it and like it a lot. But I do think the flow is kind of weird, especially with Turtleneck. But it has some great songs. I was browsing the National subreddit yesterday and saw that many people don’t care for Walk It Back, but that’s one of my favorites on the album.

I just watched it, it was beautifully shot and the story was engaging
The short film, is artful, lovely and poignant and really resonated with me. The music (reworked versions of the songs on the album) served as a soundtrack to the film, accentuates and amplifies the main characther's emotions through the different stages of her life. Having viewed it, I now have a different appreciation for the album and specifically for the title track.

Side C&D are phenomenal! Where is Her Head is one of the best Broken Social Scene's songs they've ever recorded, Not in Kansas is one of my new National's favorite, Rylan is Rylan and Light Years is my IAETF's Pink Rabbits. I am playing the album a second time.
I like all the specific songs you mentioned, but I feel like I'd like the album more if they had cut the three songs in between Not in Kansas and Rylan. Momentum killers on an album that's a touch too long.

There is a great NME way interview with Matt and Mike Mills talking about the album/short film.

One interesting note was that Mike actually took all of the stems from the album and created what you hear in the short, hence all of the unique reworks.

Back