The National

For real though. Is the alligator one we just got 2021 and we are getting 2022 later this year? Or are they further behind?

For real though. Is the alligator one we just got 2021 and we are getting 2022 later this year? Or are they further behind?
Hmmm... that is a good question. CT was announced on April 9, 2018, so that would mean the latest release (CT4) should be for 2021, which means they owe us last year and then, if they were "on schedule" this year's would come in Dec 2023.

ETA: to those who joined the first day / month, check your credit card info - you should be auto charged soon for renewal (if you want).

1680126605677.png

That live version just sounds better…idk. I’ve had it stuck in my head all day, and I didn’t really before

I'm not going to listen to the singles anymore before the album drops, but I did listen to Your Mind Is Not Your Friend twice today. The first time I didn't care for it. The second time (while watching the video), I liked it a lot more. Some of the lyrics didn't hit me much till the second go around, but musically I do think it recalls something from the HV-TWFM era. Phoebe Bridgers is only as a background vocalist also, so I'm curious to see how true that is for the other features on the album. Oh as far as lyrics go, I did see a quote elsewhere that described the song a little bit:

"Speaking of how his depression felt like “a genuine illness”, “being nauseous” and “sadness and fear about everything”, Berninger explained how the support and “faith” of the band, as well as the dedication and love of his wife Carin Besser, helped him through. Besser’s advice, ‘This isn’t you, this isn’t real, this is just your brain right now, your mind is not your friend’ even inspired a lyric and the title of the band’s newest single, featuring Phoebe Bridgers."

That is something that I think will be key to understanding a lot of the songs on the record. Also it feels so eerily similar to my own experience throughout the pandemic (minus having a band to bring me back from it all).

I'm not going to listen to the singles anymore before the album drops, but I did listen to Your Mind Is Not Your Friend twice today. The first time I didn't care for it. The second time (while watching the video), I liked it a lot more. Some of the lyrics didn't hit me much till the second go around, but musically I do think it recalls something from the HV-TWFM era. Phoebe Bridgers is only as a background vocalist also, so I'm curious to see how true that is for the other features on the album. Oh as far as lyrics go, I did see a quote elsewhere that described the song a little bit:

"Speaking of how his depression felt like “a genuine illness”, “being nauseous” and “sadness and fear about everything”, Berninger explained how the support and “faith” of the band, as well as the dedication and love of his wife Carin Besser, helped him through. Besser’s advice, ‘This isn’t you, this isn’t real, this is just your brain right now, your mind is not your friend’ even inspired a lyric and the title of the band’s newest single, featuring Phoebe Bridgers."

That is something that I think will be key to understanding a lot of the songs on the record. Also it feels so eerily similar to my own experience throughout the pandemic (minus having a band to bring me back from it all).
I caved in and listened 🎧 to it once and immediately liked it 😄 but now I'm putting a pause ⏸️ on listening to anything else from the new 🆕 album 😉

I respect everyone's individual choice on the matter, but for me it doesn't make much sense to stop listening to songs you've already heard. And especially with National tracks, which are almost always growers. Anyway, I'll be listening to the 4 released songs on heavy rotation until the 28th (and beyond). :)

Back