The National

I just got my Cherry Tree version in...it arrived completely unscathed but I'm going to ditch the outer sleeve. While I don't know for sure that it's the type that causes off gassing I think the album cover is gorgeous and doesn't need the writing on it or crinkly looking plastic to muck it up.

Hello there. I am a relative new fan of their work. I have Boxer and Boxer Live in Brussels. I have heard a few off of High Violet. Is the new album a good next jumping point, or should I go toward the earlier albums?

The new one is probably not the BEST place to go first in terms of understanding the band as a whole, but in truth they're all pretty good to fucking excellent. If you love Boxer, listen to Alligator first (probably). I personally can't decide during any given month if High Violet or Trouble is better, so I don't bother trying to keep a headranking.

To make two haphazard Radiohead analogies, I see Sleep Well Beast as akin to Hail to the Thief in some of its left turns, and this new one is sonically reminiscent of Moon Shaped Pool in that its somehow simultaneously sparser and more lush than previous albums.

The new mix of vocals is definitely interesting and arguably a success (I think Gail Ann Dorsey in particular crushes her parts), but there's no question that it's a very different sound than what they've tried before.

Ok I discovered The National about an hour ago with this new album which I'm about 2/3 done with now. What do I do next?

Edit - I know I'm late to the party and I discovered The National like Christopher Columbus "discovered" America. (Except I come in peace).

tn050046-the-national-i-am-easy-to-find-2-12-vinyl-colored-swirl-d-5c7e9c7e.png

R-13638498-1558044381-7111.jpeg.jpg

It's a significant difference but I've seen too many mockups and actual records to ever expect much. Neon-ish colors and very distinct patterns are tell tale signs that things are likely *not* going to be like the mockup, especially if its not specifically some hand poured artisan variant.
That’s why I never get splatters... never live up to the mock, usually ugly anyways.

Solid color or black.

Ok I discovered The National about an hour ago with this new album which I'm about 2/3 done with now. What do I do next?

Edit - I know I'm late to the party and I discovered The National like Christopher Columbus "discovered" America. (Except I come in peace).

Alligator, Boxer, Sleep Well Beast. See you in three hours.

Seeing how much you dig the new album, my recommendation to you is to listen to Trouble Will Find Me next as it is musically and stylistic similar.

tn050046-the-national-i-am-easy-to-find-2-12-vinyl-colored-swirl-d-5c7e9c7e.png

R-13638498-1558044381-7111.jpeg.jpg

It's a significant difference but I've seen too many mockups and actual records to ever expect much. Neon-ish colors and very distinct patterns are tell tale signs that things are likely *not* going to be like the mockup, especially if its not specifically some hand poured artisan variant.
Ah OK. I thought it we were talking a out the mockups of the 3xLP. Carry on then.

Reminder , I got the deluxe ordered today so that probably something really special for all of us here. My 3rd national album and I’m going deluxe , baby !

What’s everyone’s favorite songs off the new album so far? Least favorite?

Rylan is definitely the standout so far, Hey Rosey (I’m biased because my cat’s name is Rosie), Not in Kansas, Where is Her Head and Light Years too.

Dust Swirls in Strange Light is easily my least favorite. I don’t mind the choral vocals but the melody is just boring and static. I also am not too big on You Had Your Soul With You either, it’s not a super thrilling opener like most National albums tend to have. It reminds me of “Geyser” by Mitski, setting the stage for the rest of the album.

Seeing how much you dig the new album, my recommendation to you is to listen to Trouble Will Find Me next as it is musically and stylistic similar.
Agree with this. IMO, Trouble... is one of their best.

After that I'd probably recommend moving to Boxer. If you like the higher-quality production on that, move on to High Violet. If you want something more lofi/"indie", go for Alligator. If you want something more electronic / poppy / experimental, try Sleep Well Beast.

What’s everyone’s favorite songs off the new album so far? Least favorite?

Rylan is definitely the standout so far, Hey Rosey (I’m biased because my cat’s name is Rosie), Not in Kansas, Where is Her Head and Light Years too.

Dust Swirls in Strange Light is easily my least favorite. I don’t mind the choral vocals but the melody is just boring and static. I also am not too big on You Had Your Soul With You either, it’s not a super thrilling opener like most National albums tend to have. It reminds me of “Geyser” by Mitski, setting the stage for the rest of the album.
Love "Rylan" so much. My least-favourite is probably "Hairpin Turns", actually, which might be an unpopular opinion.

Back