The National

The National are playing locally, right down the street from me! I never would have thought this would happen. I was so bummed about their recent tour announcement, but this makes up for it completely. I know it's still a festival, but it's a small one and I have the hope they'll actually play a full-on set as they close out Sunday night. it's going to be so amazing to see them in this place where I grew up.

Also if anyone here winds up buying a pass, I am more than happy to meet anyone / everyone before or during the festival. I've never been before, but I know the area very very well.
Just a head's up, according to Twitter they are playing Saturday night.

Same for me. Charged last week on a card that expires this June so I'll need to change that.

Reactions: mgp
Just finished the 33 1/3 book on Boxer and I learned that there’s some rough cuts from the Boxer sessions that were leaked a while back. I believe they’re called “Tarquin Roughs”.

Does anyone know where someone might be able to find them? Are they worth procuring if you’ve heard them?

Just finished the 33 1/3 book on Boxer and I learned that there’s some rough cuts from the Boxer sessions that were leaked a while back. I believe they’re called “Tarquin Roughs”.

Does anyone know where someone might be able to find them? Are they worth procuring if you’ve heard them?
Ah yes. I remember when some random stranger posted these way back in the day on the old National forum. Then they had to remove it. But since then it has been floating around. I got it back then, then lost it, then got it back again. So yes if you are interested I can share them with you on a google drive. I won’t post them publicly as I know the band have said they don’t want it out there.

That said, they definitely help enhance Boxer. They are mostly, if not all, instrumentals. And there were some titles in the book I don’t remember being the titles that are on the sessions, but they could just be under different names. They are a really nice thing to have as the band haven’t put anything else out there like it. It’s the very early stages of their recording process which is such a rare thing to get.

Ah yes. I remember when some random stranger posted these way back in the day on the old National forum. Then they had to remove it. But since then it has been floating around. I got it back then, then lost it, then got it back again. So yes if you are interested I can share them with you on a google drive. I won’t post them publicly as I know the band have said they don’t want it out there.

That said, they definitely help enhance Boxer. They are mostly, if not all, instrumentals. And there were some titles in the book I don’t remember being the titles that are on the sessions, but they could just be under different names. They are a really nice thing to have as the band haven’t put anything else out there like it. It’s the very early stages of their recording process which is such a rare thing to get.
If you don’t mind that would be very kind of you!

I got into the National the summer of 2009 before Boxer came out and I was super online at the time downloading most of my music for free. So that release must have completely missed me since I probably would have been able to download it at the time. I only just heard about it via the book when I searched to see if “Middleman” was recorded somewhere out there.

I got into the National the summer of 2009 before Boxer came out and I was super online at the time downloading most of my music for free. So that release must have completely missed me since I probably would have been able to download it at the time. I only just heard about it via the book when I searched to see if “Middleman” was recorded somewhere out there.
I gotta find it, but I will send you a message sometime today with the link.

Yeah I think we got into The National close to around the same time. I mean I heard Boxer in 2007 or 2008, but it took a bit for me to really dive into their catalog. I think the Tarquin Roughs were posted Christmas 2010. That feels right.

@wokeupnew - I messaged you.

Friends had been bugging me to see the National with them in NYC, but I always came up with some excuse not to go. I bought a new car in 2007 and got 3 months of XM radio included. Was driving my daughter somewhere and Mistaken For Strangers came on (it was probably the former Ethel station) and I was amazed by what I was hearing. I told my daughter to write down the name of the song and the artist while I was driving. That was the beginning of my fandom. Saw them for the first time in 2008 as support for REM at the Mann Center in Philly, and have 37 shows under my belt so far. Have tix for 6 more this year.

Friends had been bugging me to see the National with them in NYC, but I always came up with some excuse not to go. I bought a new car in 2007 and got 3 months of XM radio included. Was driving my daughter somewhere and Mistaken For Strangers came on (it was probably the former Ethel station) and I was amazed by what I was hearing. I told my daughter to write down the name of the song and the artist while I was driving. That was the beginning of my fandom. Saw them for the first time in 2008 as support for REM at the Mann Center in Philly, and have 37 shows under my belt so far. Have tix for 6 more this year.
37? 😱😳

I’m excited for later this year which will be my 9th time!

So I’m assuming you’re a fan? 🤔 lolol
This is great! I’ve only seen them once in 2013 for an ACL late night. I hugged Matt and was able to scream “I won’t fuck us over, I’m Mr November” into the mix with him and a couple other people

So I’m assuming you’re a fan? 🤔 lolol
This is great! I’ve only seen them once in 2013 for an ACL late night. I hugged Matt and was able to scream “I won’t fuck us over, I’m Mr November” into the mix with him and a couple other people
Just a casual fan ;)

We were at the Stubb's show in 2018 that was immortalized on wax in last year's Cherry Tree fan club gift. Wait, we haven't yet received last year's... they are falling behind!

Both my husband and I have been incredibly fortunate to have sung with Matt a handful of times. At our last show in Boston in 2019, he threw his wine cup to me. I miss their shows so much - I love how he interacts with the crowd. Very curious to see how / if that changes due to covid.

At Forest Hills in 2017, he jumped into the crowd between my daughters and me during Vanderlyle. That was such a surreal experience. Here's my video from that night.

Just a casual fan ;)

We were at the Stubb's show in 2018 that was immortalized on wax in last year's Cherry Tree fan club gift. Wait, we haven't yet received last year's... they are falling behind!

Both my husband and I have been incredibly fortunate to have sung with Matt a handful of times. At our last show in Boston in 2019, he threw his wine cup to me. I miss their shows so much - I love how he interacts with the crowd. Very curious to see how / if that changes due to covid.

At Forest Hills in 2017, he jumped into the crowd between my daughters and me during Vanderlyle. That was such a surreal experience. Here's my video from that night.

I was at that Forest Hills show!

Also it’s cool to brag that I was at one of the Hudson shows in the round. That was probably the coolest time seeing them. One of the recordings of “Son” was from that show on Volume 1 of Cherry tree.

Forest Hills is a great spot for shows. 2 out of the 3 times I was there were great, the National and The Replacements. I bought last minute tickets to see Paul Simon but unfortunately they were obstructed all the way on the far right of the bowl. Literally could not even see Paul Simon on stage in front of the tower speakers. It was an older crowd so we couldn’t really finagle our way closer or try and grab closer seats until people started to empty out before the encore.

Back