The National - Cherry Tree Club

thanks! for some reason i thought they were shipping out sooner. grabbed some for my buddy for his bday since he's a huge national fan but definitely won't arrive in time for his bday!
Was it, um.... was it birthday blue? And do you have a sudden urge to fight everyone?
I REALLY HOPE IT WAS BIRTHDAY BLUE

I am still ticked at those jagwads for not giving any pressing info and them proceeding to sell out in a few hours.
Maybe they will add more up after it ships? Sadly its part of "the game" now, so when I see something limited like that (even if there isn't an amount announced) I grab it as long as it's not crazy priced. I think these were pretty much the same price as the black versions that were coming out and announced at the same time so I just grabbed them. I do wish they had done 1 per person to let more people get them though, and that's coming from someone who ended up getting 2 copies of each.

It does say "presale sold out" so maybe more will be up eventually? I'd definitely check back in a week or so when it's officially out.

Maybe they will add more up after it ships? Sadly its part of "the game" now, so when I see something limited like that (even if there isn't an amount announced) I grab it as long as it's not crazy priced. I think these were pretty much the same price as the black versions that were coming out and announced at the same time so I just grabbed them. I do wish they had done 1 per person to let more people get them though, and that's coming from someone who ended up getting 2 copies of each.

It does say "presale sold out" so maybe more will be up eventually? I'd definitely check back in a week or so when it's officially out.

Yeah I should have just bought them but since they didn't give specific pressing info, I thought they weren't going to be that limited. They still have copies of the Cherry Tree exclusive of I Am Easy To Find.

Yeah I should have just bought them but since they didn't give specific pressing info, I thought they weren't going to be that limited. They still have copies of the Cherry Tree exclusive of I Am Easy To Find.
My theory is that they got burned by doing a second run of the HV exclusive - the second purple/clear variant went up after the purple/white version sold out immediately, and is still up in the shop. I think they’re probably hesitant to do that again, so I’m not holding out hope that we’ll see more of these - which sucks because I need S/T and CT.

Of course, the right way to solve this problem is to put up the members-only presale up for a week with a per-member limit, then press as many as you need after the window closes.

My theory is that they got burned by doing a second run of the HV exclusive - the second purple/clear variant went up after the purple/white version sold out immediately, and is still up in the shop. I think they’re probably hesitant to do that again, so I’m not holding out hope that we’ll see more of these - which sucks because I need S/T and CT.

Of course, the right way to solve this problem is to put up the members-only presale up for a week with a per-member limit, then press as many as you need after the window closes.
Agreed. Or press enough that each member can get one copy and have it one per member for like 48-72 hours before you allow multiple purchases.

I always like that Qrates kinda model. But at the same time, it just adds more logistical nightmares because with how pressing plants are going now, you'd be looking at a 6+ month turnaround, changes of address, etc. These were likely already in production when they went up for sale. As you said, they want to sell out so they aren't stocking records in a warehouse somewhere paying for it. They don't want stuff to sit around there not selling. They are likely fine with how this turned out. Quick sell out, all copies paid for up front. It sucks for the fans who wanted it and couldn't get a copy for sure. At the end of the day, they are a business and selling something out quickly is the best for them.

Limited vinyl in general is always going to leave people disappointed. Qrates model will make people annoyed to wait 6+ months, pre-pressed makes people annoyed they missed it when it sells out quickly. Even if they pressed one for every member and limited it to one for awhile, they would be sitting on them.

I always like that Qrates kinda model. But at the same time, it just adds more logistical nightmares because with how pressing plants are going now, you'd be looking at a 6+ month turnaround, changes of address, etc. These were likely already in production when they went up for sale. As you said, they want to sell out so they aren't stocking records in a warehouse somewhere paying for it. They don't want stuff to sit around there not selling. They are likely fine with how this turned out. Quick sell out, all copies paid for up front. It sucks for the fans who wanted it and couldn't get a copy for sure. At the end of the day, they are a business and selling something out quickly is the best for them.

Limited vinyl in general is always going to leave people disappointed. Qrates model will make people annoyed to wait 6+ months, pre-pressed makes people annoyed they missed it when it sells out quickly. Even if they pressed one for every member and limited it to one for awhile, they would be sitting on them.
I think these should be compared to other fan club exclusive models, not Qrates.

Setting aside the Third Man Vault (since they’re vertically integrated), Pearl Jam manages this model every year with their “Vault” releases. Granted, there is a multi-month turnaround time but that’s also true for these National reissues. For comparison’s sake, the early National remaster presales sold out on Nov. 24 and are shipping/hitting now; the latest PJ Vault went up for order on 10/10, was open until some time around the holidays, and is expected to ship in the next couple of weeks. And it’s 3LP (or 4? I forget).

So has the $50 per year been worth it to you current members? I'm debating, still, lol
If you focus solely on the annual vinyl, then year one was a single LP of some random live tracks (something that I would probably, if grudgingly, pay $50 for), and the second year was a 3LP set of a full show. TBD what Vol. 3 looks like but I’d say so far it’s looking like a good deal just on the annual vinyl front.

I also enjoy the ability to access other exclusive vinyl/merch (setting aside my gripes about these latest reissues), and the ticket presales (setting aside [waves hands around]).

If you focus solely on the annual vinyl, then year one was a single LP of some random live tracks (something that I would probably, if grudgingly, pay $50 for), and the second year was a 3LP set of a full show. TBD what Vol. 3 looks like but I’d say so far it’s looking like a good deal just on the annual vinyl front.

I also enjoy the ability to access other exclusive vinyl/merch (setting aside my gripes about these latest reissues), and the ticket presales (setting aside [waves hands around]).
It's worth noting that the deadline for Vol. 3 has passed and if you sign up now, then you'll be locked in for Vol. 4

I think these should be compared to other fan club exclusive models, not Qrates.

Setting aside the Third Man Vault (since they’re vertically integrated), Pearl Jam manages this model every year with their “Vault” releases. Granted, there is a multi-month turnaround time but that’s also true for these National reissues. For comparison’s sake, the early National remaster presales sold out on Nov. 24 and are shipping/hitting now; the latest PJ Vault went up for order on 10/10, was open until some time around the holidays, and is expected to ship in the next couple of weeks. And it’s 3LP (or 4? I forget).
I'm saying Qrates since that's the model essentially that you were proposing--taking preorders then pressing that amount. It's the same kinda thing Taylor Swift did with Folklore and it took 4 or 5 months for them to start shipping. I think I got mine 6 months after I ordered. Which is fine if you know that's what you're getting into. But I find that most people complain about waiting too haha. I just think it's a lose-lose a lot of times for both the consumers and the bands. At least they have the black vinyl for anybody if you really want it on vinyl.

So has the $50 per year been worth it to you current members? I'm debating, still, lol
This year was a weird one...I think the ticket presale access is a nice feature if you want to see the band live but obviously that didn't apply this year. But they also did the fan club versions of all 3 EPs plus the Cherry Tree vol 3 that will be arriving at some point. I also joined at a point where I was able to grab a copy of volume 1. So I'd say it was definitely worth it for me. I think if you join and end up deciding that either you don't like the release or don't like the club, you could easily sell them for what you paid and then some.

It's worth noting that the deadline for Vol. 3 has passed and if you sign up now, then you'll be locked in for Vol. 4
Yea @AnthonyI this is important....if you sign up now, you'd get in for vol 4 but you're likely looking at well over a year before you actually receive that one. It's possible that they post more copies of vol 3 up for purchase though when it comes out (that's what they did for vol 1). And it does take a few days to actually get set up with an account IIRC so it's not like you can immediately sign up and grab a copy of something that comes out.

Back