The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

Thanks to wiki

Contributing musicians
1582613584424.png1582613584424.png
Jim Gordon, Carl Radle, Bobby Whitlock and Eric Clapton formed Derek and the Dominos while participating in the sessions for All Things Must Pass.
The precise line-up of contributing musicians is open to conjecture.[117][118]Due to the album's big sound and the many participants on the sessions, commentators have traditionally referred to the grand, orchestral nature of this line-up.[119][120][121]In 2002, music critic Greg Kot described it as "a who's who of the decade's rock royalty",[54]while Harris writes of the cast taking on "a Cecil B. De Mille aspect".[59]
The musicians included Bobby Whitlock, Jim Gordon, Carl Radle, Bobby Keys, Jim Price and Dave Mason,[122]all of whom had recently toured with Delaney & Bonnie.[123]Along with Eric Clapton, there were also musicians whose link with Harrison went back some years, such as Ringo Starr and Billy Preston, and German bassist Klaus Voormann,[124]formerly of Manfred Mann and a friend since the Beatles' years in Hamburg.[125]Handling much of the keyboard work with Whitlock was Gary Wright,[117]who went on to collaborate regularly with Harrison throughout the 1970s.[126]
That was the great thing about [the Beatles] splitting up: to be able to go off and make my own record ... And also to be able to record with all these new people, which was like a breath of fresh air.[30]
– George Harrison, December 2000
From within Apple's stable of musicians, Harrison recruited the band Badfinger, future Yes drummer Alan White, and Beatles assistant Mal Evans on percussion.[127][128]Badfinger drummer Mike Gibbins' powerful tambourine work led to Spector giving him the nickname "Mr Tambourine Man", after the Dylan song,[59]while bandmates Pete Ham, Tom Evans and Joey Molland provided rhythm acoustic-guitar parts that, in keeping with Spector's Wall of Sound principles, were to be "felt but not heard".[72]Orchestral arranger John Barham also sat in on the sessions, occasionally contributing on harmonium and vibraphone.[129]Other guests included Nashville pedal steelplayer Pete Drake, Procol Harum's Gary Brooker and a pre-Genesis Phil Collins.[130]An uncredited Peter Frampton played acoustic guitar on the country tracks featuring Drake.[131]
For contractual reasons, on UK pressings of All Things Must Pass, Clapton's participation on the first two discs of the album remained unacknowledged for many years,[120][132]although he was listed among the musicians appearing on the Apple Jamdisc in Britain.[133][134][nb 8]Harrison was unaware of Collins's contribution until putting together the 30th anniversary reissue of the album in 2000,[140]at which point he offered Collins his belated thanks.[141]Clapton's former bandmate in Cream and Blind Faith, Ginger Baker, participated in the session for "I Remember Jeep" only, according to the album's sleeve notes.[107]

Those are great for sure but I’d say this the best.

It’s the sheer consistency, and over two discs too. His songs really were criminally overlooked towards the end of The Beatles, especially when you think that Obla-Di Obla-fucking-Da, Octopuses Garden and Maxwells Shitty Silver Hammer all made late era Beatles albums...

I’ve just named three of my least favourite songs by The Beatles and they are on my two favourite albums by them 😂

OB-LA-DI OB-LA-FUCKING-DA SLAPS DON'T EVEN SAY THAT IT'S BAD

Of all of those three songs to defend you pick that song! THAT SONG! Hate is too kind of a word for that cod-reggae travesty that stinks up 2 or 3 minutes of the first side of my all time favourite album...

The other two are crap but kinda fun too in their own little ways, that's just yuck!

Of all of those three songs to defend you pick that song! THAT SONG! Hate is too kind of a word for that cod-reggae travesty that stinks up 2 or 3 minutes of the first side of my all time favourite album...
giphy.gif

It’s the sheer consistency, and over two discs too. His songs really were criminally overlooked towards the end of The Beatles, especially when you think that Obla-Di Obla-fucking-Da, Octopuses Garden and Maxwells Shitty Silver Hammer all made late era Beatles albums...

I’ve just named three of my least favourite songs by The Beatles and they are on my two favourite albums by them 😂
OB-LA-DI OB-LA-FUCKING-DA SLAPS DON'T EVEN SAY THAT IT'S BAD

OK - what damn show was it that used Obladi in it? With Corky? That song was ruined for me by that show.

And Joe - I agree - those are the worst Beatles songs, IMO. Octopuses Garden in and of itself has convinced me to never ever explore Ringo as a solo artist.

OK - what damn show was it that used Obladi in it? With Corky? That song was ruined for me by that show.

And Joe - I agree - those are the worst Beatles songs, IMO. Octopuses Garden in and of itself has convinced me to never ever explore Ringo as a solo artist.

I don’t know it but google tells me to check out this wiki page

And yes, my dad tells me that the album with Photographs on it is supposedly good but I don’t trust Ringo after that one, Yellow Submarine and Don’t Pass Me By. What Solo Ringo did do better than anyone else is narrate Thomas the Tank Engine, nobody’s done it better.

I kinda like octopus's garden a little bit, (playing the riff on guitar is pretty noodly and fun). I have never had any interest in listening to Ringo's solo career, nor will I ever.
NO. OB-LA-DI OB-LA-DA IS GOOD. THIS IS THE HILL I DIE ON

I don’t know it but google tells me to check out this wiki page

And yes, my dad tells me that the album with Photographs on it is supposedly good but I don’t trust Ringo after that one, Yellow Submarine and Don’t Pass Me By. What Solo Ringo did do better than anyone else is narrate Thomas the Tank Engine, nobody’s done it better.
I kinda like octopus's garden a little bit, (playing the riff on guitar is pretty noodly and fun). I have never had any interest in listening to Ringo's solo career, nor will I ever.

Yes, that is the show! Tony - binge that show and then come back to the hill. Joe and I will be picnicking on the hill in the meantime, waiting for you.

And if you still want to die on that hill, that's fine, just don't get any on my shoes. ;)

Oh dear, poor tony, it’s going to be so lonely on that hill 😂

Edit: oh wait me and tee are having a picnic, doesn’t that sound just delightful, I love picnics! We will see you there when you’re ready 😀

Yes, that is the show! Tony - binge that show and then come back to the hill. Joe and I will be picnicking on the hill in the meantime, waiting for you.
If the show ruined the song, then I'd say the show is the issue here, not the song. I'll just avoid the show... no reason to ruin a GOOD SONG.
And if you still want to die on that hill, that's fine, just don't get any on my shoes. ;)
I will do it with the most dramatic music behind me as I die in slow-mo
tenor.gif

Oh dear, poor tony, it’s going to be so lonely on that hill 😂
I'll be dead on the hill I won't care
but I don’t trust Ringo after that one, Yellow Submarine
But.... Revolver is their best album.... it's flawless in my eyes.... god damn it Joe....

Back