The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

If the show ruined the song, then I'd say the show is the issue here, not the song. I'll just avoid the show... no reason to ruin a GOOD SONG.

I will do it with the most dramatic music behind me as I die in slow-mo
tenor.gif

I'll be dead on the hill I won't care

But.... Revolver is their best album.... it's flawless in my eyes.... god damn it Joe....

It’s only 5th for me and that song completely messes with its flow IMO. That said it’s an almost flawless album, the reason it’s in 5th is that they had 6/7 almost flawless albums and after that how you rank them is personal taste. I struggle to see past the two albums that are “explosions of creativity” as my 1 and 2 (White and Abbey Road)

It’s only 5th for me and that song completely messes with its flow IMO. That said it’s an almost flawless album, the reason it’s in 6th is that they had 6/7 almost flawless albums and after that how you rank them is personal taste. I struggle to see past the two albums that are “explosions of creativity” as my 1 and 2 (White and Abbey Road)
The White Album is your favorite? Revolution 9 bogs that whole album down so much for me, especially because it's 8 minutes whereas yellow submarine is only 3, and even then I still sorta like yellow submarine because it was a childhood song for me. Revolver is the best in my eyes because it was in my opinion, their most successful creative "explosion" as you put it

The White Album is your favorite? Revolution 9 bogs that whole album down so much for me, especially because it's 8 minutes whereas yellow submarine is only 3. Revolver is the best in my eyes because it was in my opinion, their most successful creative "explosion" as you put it

I disagree with the idea of revolver being a “creative explosion”. It’s a beautifully crafted set of songs, and Yellow Submarine. If we’re going for that version of The Beatles I think Rubber Soul is better, minus the hateful last song. I get the Revolution 9 point, I really do, but that album is a rollercoaster and it’s worth songs like that, and the hateful song you inexplicably like, because it so effortlessly hits highs that I think few other acts ever have. Also it’s towards the end and is followed by the positively lovely Goodnight.

Last edited:
I disagree with the idea of revolver being a “creative explosion”. It’s a beautifully crafted set of songs, and Yellow Submarine.
Revolver (Beatles album) - Wikipedia
I'm just gonna leave you with that, because I once again feel they did amazing new things on Revolver, even things that revolutionized the whole industry, such as ADT.
If we’re going for that version of The Beatles I think Rubber Soul is better, minus the hateful last song. I get the Revolution 9 point, I really do, but that album is a rollercoaster and it’s worth songs like that, and the hateful song you inexplicably like, because it so effortlessly hits highs that I think few other acts ever have.
I think Rubber Soul is still a little too safe in terms of the lyrical content and song structures of some, but I agree it is a masterpiece. The Beatles on Rubber Soul weren't playing with sounds and styles as much as I felt that the Beatles on Revolver were. The only songs I'd say were sonically creative were Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, In My Life, and Girl maybe. The rest are pretty standard rock songs.

Revolver has Tomorrow Never Knows, Eleanor Rigby, Love You To, Got To Get You Into My Life, Here, There, and Everywhere, For No One, I'm Only Sleeping, She Said She Said, and Yellow Submarine (not really in it's lyrics but more in the way they created the sounds of the submarine with the milk jugs and stuff). All bringing something creative to the table in terms of rock's soundscape and changing that soundscape into something more... adventurous. That's why I love Revolver so much. It showed me that music has no limits with what you can do, and that's also partially why I'm so open to listening to most new music out there. This notion made me want to CREATE music, and that's why I want to learn songwriting. All thanks to one album.
Also it’s towards the end and is followed by the positively lovely
Was this meant to say Good Night after lovely? Because if so, yeah I agree Good Night is fantastic. I just think Revolution 9 being before it is so tonally jarring that it drops the album a few spots for me.

Revolver (Beatles album) - Wikipedia
I'm just gonna leave you with that, because I once again feel they did amazing new things on Revolver, even things that revolutionized the whole industry, such as ADT.

I think Rubber Soul is still a little too safe in terms of the lyrical content and song structures of some, but I agree it is a masterpiece. The Beatles on Rubber Soul weren't playing with sounds and styles as much as I felt that the Beatles on Revolver were. The only songs I'd say were sonically creative were Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, In My Life, and Girl maybe. The rest are pretty standard rock songs.

Revolver has Tomorrow Never Knows, Eleanor Rigby, Love You To, Got To Get You Into My Life, Here, There, and Everywhere, For No One, I'm Only Sleeping, She Said She Said, and Yellow Submarine (not really in it's lyrics but more in the way they created the sounds of the submarine with the milk jugs and stuff). All bringing something creative to the table in terms of rock's soundscape and changing that soundscape into something more... adventurous. That's why I love Revolver so much. It showed me that music has no limits with what you can do, and that's also partially why I'm so open to listening to most new music out there. This notion made me want to CREATE music, and that's why I want to learn songwriting. All thanks to one album.

Was this meant to say Good Night after lovely? Because if so, yeah I agree Good Night is fantastic. I just think Revolution 9 being before it is so tonally jarring that it drops the album a few spots for me.

That’s all very fair and valid and whatever. What you’ve got to understand is I don’t agree and I don’t have to. I love Revolver for all those reasons and yet still put it 5th in my list. Why? Because I prefer 4 others to it. It’s not controversial, it’s The Beatles. From Rubber Soul to Abbey Road none of the albums are a misstep, they’re all exceptional, if I make my list of those differently to you it’s not a slight on the one you put first, it’s that I take something different out of the ones I prefer. Also White isn’t just my favourite album by The Beatles, it’s my all time favourite album by any act.

That’s all very fair and valid and whatever. What you’ve got to understand is I don’t agree and I don’t have to. I love Revolver for all those reasons and yet still put it 5th in my list. Why? Because I prefer 4 others to it. It’s not controversial, it’s The Beatles. From Rubber Soul to Abbey Road none of the albums are a misstep, they’re all exceptional, if I make my list of those differently to you it’s not a slight on the one you put first, it’s that I take something different out of the ones I prefer.
No, I do understand not everyone's going to have the same Beatles rankings and favorites, I'm just laying my cards out on the table on why it's my favorite. It's affected me so deeply as a person and that's why the Beatles were such a wonderful band.
Also White isn’t just my favourite album by The Beatles, it’s my all time favourite album by any act.
Any album they released is valid as a favorite, and that's what's so remarkable about them.

Except the yellow submarine soundtrack

I just like all the hazy songs on this album. (All things must pass) Maybe its just the first song (I'd Have You Anytime) that leave me with that impression.

About to listen to this, so can't say it's good or not but the timing is there for your pick.

I just like all the hazy songs on this album. (All things must pass) Maybe its just the first song (I'd Have You Anytime) that leave me with that impression.

That first song is a real grower, it kinda washed over me for a while but then clicked ,it’s now one of my favourites, a real woozy introduction

Back