The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

I have one question for all you ... What would you do with more time... to pick your Listening Club selection?

Agonize, capitulate, reassess, repeat?

I mean, I made a selection and put a couple of hours into a proper write-up and then went and listened to the album again only to decid I could do better...

Right now I feel like time is the last thing I need. But there's potentially 40 some odd weeks of, right?

But more to the point with a longer notification window you'd have more time to go to the next in line if the RNG lands on someone who dropped out.

Agonize, capitulate, reassess, repeat?

I mean, I made a selection and put a couple of hours into a proper write-up and then went and listened to the album again only to decid I could do better...

Right now I feel like time is the last thing I need. But there's potentially 40 some odd weeks of, right?

But more to the point with a longer notification window you'd have more time to go to the next in line if the RNG lands on someone who dropped out.

I think that ideally I would let the next person know as soon as the current pick is announced so they'd have about a week about it.

I might notify the next person later today and then tell them they have until Monday to think about it.

You're likely barking up the wrong tree here. Personally, I don't feel like I would tactlessly trash an album that someone suggested in this listening club like that, just out of respect for the person offering to share with the group -- in fact, I'm even measuring my response to it right now -- but based on who posted it, I'm not entirely surprised that they didn't connect to it. That "evaluation" just sounded ignorant to me. Not even being aware of the Grateful Dead speaks volumes on its own. Wondering if 5 dudes are an "orchestra" because there's a single horn and it's not a straght ahead dance pop album or some tragic Lifetime movie of the week heroine crying into the belly of the acoustic guitar she got for her sweet 16... let's just say I don't think this is the Sun Ra demographic.

It was either that or ease him in by linking the PBS video of John Cage playing a cactus. ;)

You're likely barking up the wrong tree here. Personally, I don't feel like I would tactlessly trash an album that someone suggested in this listening club like that, just out of respect for the person offering to share with the group -- in fact, I'm even measuring my response to it right now -- but based on who posted it, I'm not entirely surprised that they didn't connect to it. That "evaluation" just sounded ignorant to me. Not even being aware of the Grateful Dead speaks volumes on its own. Wondering if 5 dudes are an "orchestra" because there's a single horn and it's not a straght ahead dance pop album or some tragic Lifetime movie of the week heroine crying into the belly of the acoustic guitar she got for her sweet 16... let's just say I don't think this is the Sun Ra demographic.
I agree, all album trashing should go to the appropriate thread. We don't need that level of negativity in this thread. Otherwise people will be hesitant to share music that they think is really interesting!

I have one question for all you ... What would you do with more time... to pick your Listening Club selection? Right now I choose a random participant once a week and they usually have a couple of days to decide.

Would it make more sense to notify them a week early and give them more time? Would that have any effect on the decision-making process? Let me know.
I think at least three days but a week might be nice

I agree, all album trashing should go to the appropriate thread. We don't need that level of negativity in this thread. Otherwise people will be hesitant to share music that they think is really interesting!

It doesn't affect me, personally, because I have way too much unwarranted confidence for it to matter. Plus, I have enough perspective to know that the person commenting is into stuff like Natalie Imbruglia, while I listen to actual noise music -- also why I know this album isn't "noise," at least not categorically. At the same time, I'm also aware that other people are less outgoing in real life and use the forum to feel more comfortable interacting. If you refer to what they're sharing as "shit" and an "usufferable" "disaster" that's pretty harsh.

I just want to clarify my "liking" of the post with the negative feedback was due to his recognition that his dislike of the album was due to a listen of the reissue rather than the OG tracklist and that when he did listen to the original tracklist, he seemed to appreciate it a lot more. I respected the fact that he kept at trying to "get it." I guess I'm just jaded by other internet places so the initial bluntness didn't register with me fully, but reading back, I totally understand that the initial reaction was harsh and not really in the spirit of this endeavor, that we're all in this to try out stuff and share what we're passionate about.

Also, full disclosure...I kinda like Natalie Imbruglia :(

I just want to clarify my "liking" of the post with the negative feedback was due to his recognition that his dislike of the album was due to a listen of the reissue rather than the OG tracklist and that when he did listen to the original tracklist, he seemed to appreciate it a lot more. I respected the fact that he kept at trying to "get it." I guess I'm just jaded by other internet places so the initial bluntness didn't register with me fully, but reading back, I totally understand that the initial reaction was harsh and not really in the spirit of this endeavor, that we're all in this to try out stuff and share what we're passionate about.

Also, full disclosure...I kinda like Natalie Imbruglia :(

I wasn't knocking her. In fact, I was "torn" about posting that. I just mean that I know who posted it and was already aware how our tastes differ. He might also be aware enough of me to assume (correctly) that his comments weren't really going to rattle me. I was really just speaking more generally about this thread. I do like the song "Morning In Marin," though

Last edited:
There’s a rather clear line between leveling legitimate criticism and trashing an album. At least for me; some people think all criticism of their preferences is trashing. I would like to see this thread have space for thoughtful criticisms but have no real use for outright trashing. It’s fine to say you didn’t like something and preferably I’d like to hear why in cogent and relatable terms. Just how I can grow to like something based on pointed input I can see the other side as well. Outright trashing however, is just a turn off and leads me to believe the person is closed minded so I close my mind to them in turn.

I listened to Day of The Dead today, second longest album I've ever sat through, and definitely the most cohesive/attention holding of any comparable in length. It was really good, I like how it starts out exactly how you would expect it, and slowly unhinges until you make it totally out into the deep end, then the last couple of songs reel you back in. Truckin' is the only track I recognized the name of (Haven't heard too much Dead), and I've never heard of Marijuana Deathsquads, but they did a hell of a version of it. Also interesting was at one stage early on I was suddenly struck by the thought that Bill Callahan would fit really well on this, then by the time I got near the end, up he came (Perhaps I subconsciously noticed the name earlier skimming the list?). Got me even more keen for my third listen of Hooteroll? in the correct order this time.

I listened to Day of The Dead today, second longest album I've ever sat through, and definitely the most cohesive/attention holding of any comparable in length. It was really good, I like how it starts out exactly how you would expect it, and slowly unhinges until you make it totally out into the deep end, then the last couple of songs reel you back in. Truckin' is the only track I recognized the name of (Haven't heard too much Dead), and I've never heard of Marijuana Deathsquads, but they did a hell of a version of it. Also interesting was at one stage early on I was suddenly struck by the thought that Bill Callahan would fit really well on this, then by the time I got near the end, up he came (Perhaps I subconsciously noticed the name earlier skimming the list?). Got me even more keen for my third listen of Hooteroll? in the correct order this time.

Woah. That's commitment to checking something out. I'm not sure I've even heard that whole Day Of The Dead box, myself, yet. Seeing Callahan and Bonnie Prince Billy's name on it were big for me though. Did it give you any different perspective on the Dead, even as songwriters? Any song stand out, or something that made you want to check out the original?

In your last post, you mentioned the organ. Ever listen to much Medeski, Martin, & Wood. John Scofield's A Go Go album, which they back him on, is something that I used to listen to quite a bit back in the day. It has some choice moments where Medeski can let loose, not dissimilar to how Wales does on Hooteroll?

Woah. That's commitment to checking something out. I'm not sure I've even heard that whole Day Of The Dead box, myself, yet. Seeing Callahan and Bonnie Prince Billy's name on it were big for me though. Did it give you any different perspective on the Dead, even as songwriters? Any song stand out, or something that made you want to check out the original?

I prefer to listen mostly to music I've never heard before, and I typically listen for at least 40 hours a week, so when something like this pops up its a great opportunity to not have to worry about managing a listening queue for a few hours (y) Not sure what perspective I've gained on The Dead, sometimes it felt the artists were definitely trying to emulate the originals, and sometimes they were definitely building from them, the line between is obviously blurry and so I'm not really sure how much of 'The Dead' I was hearing. I liked it regardless, so yes I am compelled to hear more, definitely a few tracks I'll try and find in their original contexts: Friend of the Devil, Terrapin Station ( know that title from somewhere else, not sure where though), and Shakedown Street are sticking out in my memory. Jerry has never struck me as a particularly impressive songwriter, and I still feel that way; but something I have taken away (and from Hooteroll? too) is that maybe The Dead covered more styles than I previously thought, so I'm looking forward to hearing more of that, as opposed to the style/genre of the most popular Dead studio albums which is where most of my listening experience is.

In your last post, you mentioned the organ. Ever listen to much Medeski, Martin, & Wood. John Scofield's A Go Go album, which they back him on, is something that I used to listen to quite a bit back in the day. It has some choice moments where Medeski can let loose, not dissimilar to how Wales does on Hooteroll?

I have not at all, but thanks, more for the list.

I prefer to listen mostly to music I've never heard before, and I typically listen for at least 40 hours a week, so when something like this pops up its a great opportunity to not have to worry about managing a listening queue for a few hours (y) Not sure what perspective I've gained on The Dead, sometimes it felt the artists were definitely trying to emulate the originals, and sometimes they were definitely building from them, the line between is obviously blurry and so I'm not really sure how much of 'The Dead' I was hearing. I liked it regardless, so yes I am compelled to hear more, definitely a few tracks I'll try and find in their original contexts: Friend of the Devil, Terrapin Station ( know that title from somewhere else, not sure where though), and Shakedown Street are sticking out in my memory. Jerry has never struck me as a particularly impressive songwriter, and I still feel that way; but something I have taken away (and from Hooteroll? too) is that maybe The Dead covered more styles than I previously thought, so I'm looking forward to hearing more of that, as opposed to the style/genre of the most popular Dead studio albums which is where most of my listening experience is.

I have not at all, but thanks, more for the list.

Thanks for the response. It's interesting hearing your take on all of this. The Terrapin Station Suite is definitely a wacky one. "Help On The Way > Slipknot > Franklins Tower" from Blues For Allah is another one that I've always loved. It's also interesting to me how all 3 of the songs that you mentioned are incredibly different.

Hopefully A Go Go holds up. It's almost smooth in parts, but it's very guitar jazzy. MMW, as a trio, has some solid albums of their own, though

Back