The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

I've been racking my brain for possible choices if I ever get chosen to pick an album for the Listening Club, and I think I finally landed on one today. I'm in the boat of picking an album I love from an artist I feel deserves more attention than they get.

And yeah, with Radiohead, it always seems like everyone has a different favorite album by them, which is part of why I like them so much. (And for what it's worth I prefer Amnesiac too, so you're not alone)

I think the first full length I listened to by Ween was Pure Guava, even though I'd heard some of their other more well-known songs like "Freedom of 76", "Voodoo Lady" and "Ocean Man" prior

I first heard Pure Guava, too, which is why it's up there for my favorite. I was real, real high

I've been racking my brain for possible choices if I ever get chosen to pick an album for the Listening Club, and I think I finally landed on one today. I'm in the boat of picking an album I love from an artist I feel deserves more attention than they get.

I decided on mine today and did the write-up already. I am 100% confident no one will pick this one before my number comes up.

I decided on mine today and did the write-up already. I am 100% confident no one will pick this one before my number comes up.

Is it? ...

63e4639e-5d1d-4524-9bfa-d6812e694882-gif.696

I do love that band, but I'm mostly passionate about the idea behind this listening club, right now. I haven't been able to devote time to be involved like I wanted to and forgot about it, until I was just selected. I really want to make sure to listen to that Dr John and give my quick impression on it, even if it's late in the game, because, if people are listening to my selection, I should be doing the same. I already like Dr John, though, so I feel like there's a good chance I'm going to love that selection. Mostly, I'm very aware that we all have these preconceived notions about things we don't really have a history with and I want that experience in here where I'm snapped out of something and opened up to it. On some level, that's how we all wound up here in the first place, because of an openness and desire to discover new music from each other. As a fan of the Dead, though, it gets tiring hearing the same responses uttered about them, only because they don't ring true for me. I was just hoping to address exactly why that is. I can only imagine how Juggalos feel.

I'm passionate about a lot of different music, but I definitely chose something with Jerry Garcia on it, because I felt like it might work best here in that spirit of checking out new things we wouldn't, otherwise. A lot of people might enter more closed off to it, so just that act of giving it a shot feels like a big step that we should all be taking when we jump into something like this. I know that I've been an equal offender toward so many other things.
He said Juggalos

He said Juggalos
I've always had sympathy for Juggalos. Regardless of if you like ICP or not (I'm certainly not a fan), the FBI classifying them as a gang was some major bullshit. I also had a cousin who was one in their younger days, although they would never admit to it now lol.

Listened a few times to Hooteroll? now and am starting to tap into it a little better. I'm Grateful Dead agnostic, so I feel pretty open minded heading in. The two standout tracks for me are South Side Strut (dig the horns!) and Evening in Marin, which reminds me of the stuff Air did on The Virgin Suicides score. There's a dark edge underneath the pretty (Rhodes/Hammond?) organ playing that hits me in a particular sweet spot that I just love. This likely won't be an album I revisit, but Evening in Marin will definitely find its way into future playlists of mine, so in that regard it's a total win for me.

It was. I couldn't tell if they really sounded like that, or it was the mushrooms. The next day, when I discovered that the sounds I was hearing were really coming from them and not just my own crazy brain, I was hooked.

Exactly this, but me and Gris-Gris.. Croker Courtbullion is one hell of a neverending trip

But they're never quite the same when you listen to them the next day, you always expect it was something more, no?..

Exactly this, but me and Gris-Gris.. Croker Courtbullion is one hell of a neverending trip

But they're never quite the same when you listen to them the next day, you always expect it was something more, no?..

Not the case for me with Pure Guava. It's a nutty album. I was also pretty young and hadn't listened to as much left field stuff yet, so it was extra weird

Last edited:
So I just hit play and started with the Hooteroll? that it's on Spotify.
This was my face for the first four minutes:

d4wjft0-cb73dae5-af7e-43b6-a5ed-26e81387dc37.jpg

That seven-minutes-long disaster called "Morning in Marin" is basically a bunch of people playing a lot of instruments, but everybody is playing a different song.
You know that jazz is not my thing, and I seriously have no goddam clue who García, Wales and Dead are, so context will not work for me. That was just noise.

Then I started reading the thread (because I seriously needed to understand what was going on) and it turns out, the album doesn't start with that song.
Ok, so let's start again.

I'm following the tracklist that appears on Wikipedia and, three tracks in, this is... nice. The organ is an instrument I'll never get why people like it; it always sounds like the tantrums of a possessed child. But the whole band (is this a band or an orchestra?) compensates it and the horns are really cool.
Will I listen to this again? Maybe in a couple of days just to see if I have another opinion on the matter. Not my kind of music, but not as unsufferable as "Morning in Marin".

Back