The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

Ok-I’m behind here goes

Gris Gris is as much a mix of sounds & sources as New Orleans is multicultural. Something I love about this album is how the bookends of the opening & closing songs are the darkest & most mysterious on the record. Doing a concept album as your debut as something less than a love letter, but more a red light district exposure to New Orleans and the musical traditions it represents is an awesome achievement. One of the true greats.

Garcia & Wales- Hooteroll

I like this record and am a fan of the Dead & Jerry in particular. Jerry’s ethos of being a player and a musician are on display. The guy would play pretty much anything, and his parts on these songs are great. I will say that Wales can completely exhaust me at times although I like the songs. Their mix of stylistic exploration on this record is illuminating and this is an excellent choice for this thread.

Here's something that I feel compelled to address, because I believe there might be some "misconceptions" that have the potential to taint this listening experience right out the gate. That being said, I kind of chose this album for that exact reason, so... there's no one else to blame for that and little I can do to prevent it.

The main thing is that I believe that the "jam band" concept and title in itself is kind of flawed, because the Dead is the Dead and that's all they ever were. Anybody that enters into their music with a preconceived notion in their head contrary to that already has one major obstruction positioned firmly in front of them. The Dead just kind of took more of a jazz approach to their music and allowed themselves to improvise and try new things on the spot, rather than restrict everything to tight 3.5 minute pop and rock tunes. A major reason for this is because they built their sound and approach as the house band for Ken Kesey's acid tests, where they'd trip out and play for hours to a room full of other people tripping out.

The Dead was ground zero for the "jamband" concept, the same way that the Beatles influenced so many others, but people don't refer to the Beatles sound as anything other than the Beatles. They exist in their own realm and anyone that is noticeably influenced by them is considered Beatles-esque or having Beatles influences. They aren't considered peers and the Grateful Dead doesn't really have any peers, either. The Beatles covered a lot of ground, but most people here are probably more familiar with their different eras than they would be Jerry Garcia's.

To refer to the Dead as a "jam band" groups them in with every shitty imitator that came after them, and none of them have or will ever come even remotely close to what they did, or really sound like them. When they do, they sound like cheap knockoffs. Anyone that achieves anything near their level will do so by sounding like themselves, which will, inherently, separate them and make them their own thing, as well. The Dead were carving their own path. By following their distinct path... I guess read Siddhartha for the answer on that one.

The Dead were fans of Howling Wolf and covered his music. They were fans of Otis Redding and performed on the same stages as him. They had Branford Marsalis and even Ornette Coleman sit in with them. Bruce Hornsby had a stint as their keyboardist. They had tons of different influences. They did a full tour and released an album with Dylan. They were friends with jazz musicians that tipped them off to the problems with their contracts, informing them that "rock musicians" like them were getting paid by the song, while they, as jazz musicians, were getting paid by the minute. It's why the Dead's Anthem Of The Sun album sounds like it does. It was partially assembled in studio, but -- if I'm remembering correctly -- they kept most of the money for the studio and went on tour. Then, they spliced the best bits from different shows together into one massive track. They had to, later, cut it up into tracks, somewhat arbitrarily, and designate random titles to the segments. They were the last of the Haight St bands to sign to a label, because they had so much leverage due to the fact that they made all their money playing shows and didn't need a label. So, when Warner Bros signed them, they had a ton of creative control, which drove producers mad and out of the studio. They were experimenting and doing weird shit like putting coins inside of the piano. They were doing weird shit with tape. They were fucking around the same way that someone like Amon Tobin would and does. Owsley's Wall Of Sound was revolutionary.

So... what I'm getting at is that the irony of the Dead is actually that people refer to them as a "jam band" and that term has become something reductive that's supposed to refer to a very specific concept and idea. But, the truth is that, the only reason that they were ever referred to as a "jam band," is because they did way too much different shit for anyone to know what to refer to or classify them as. Nothing like that ever existed before in that exact way. They made rootsy folk albums at one point, yet began fully working tribal and indian drums and all manners of left-field percussion into experimental electronic trip-out noise passages in live shows toward the end of the 1970s. Certain fans couldn't hang with the transition and, even stopped following them as they'd mutate and evolve, but they kept changing it up and pushing their sound forward anyway, from Blues to psych to disco-tinged funk tunes, to... whatever Terrapin Station is and beyond. They tossed gospel elements in with the country twang of the Flying Burrito Brothers. And, they played spaced out psych music, crazier than anyone. So, the fact that there was ever a psych-rock revival and some of the same people deep into it and current bands like King Gizzard (2 drummers?) still hate on the Dead would be mindblowing, if it wasn't so absurd, especially since those very bands will tell you who influenced them. For the outsider, it sounds surprising that a lot of their favorite artists are fans of Jerry and his crew, but for anyone that knows what the Dead actually did and what they actually [have the ability to] sound like, it's glaringly obvious. Anyone who likes The War On Drugs should know how shamelessly they rip them off -- while wearing Steal Your Face shirts, no less. They aren't hiding it and aren't trying to; it's a means of tribute. In fact, all you have to do is just look at the roster of who contributed to The Day Of The Dead box set -- The National, Bonnie Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Jim James, Kurt Vile, Wilco (w/Bob Weir, mind you), Cass Mccombs, Hiss Golden Messenger, The Flaming Lips, UMO, Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, Oneida, Real Estate, Courtney Barnett, etc. etc. etc. -- none of them even remotely surprising to me.

This isn't a "jam band" album, but I know that some people are still going to have difficulty entering into this without saying/thinking, "I don't know if I'll like this. I'm not really into jam bands." Somehow, folks are even still hearing "noodling" even though Jerry is playing incredibly restrained and is using a pretty straight ahead jazz guitar approach in the only areas that I can hear, which might be construed as such. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to present this album blind, which is the best way to do it, because that would help prevents anybody from bringing their pre-conceived notions in with them. But, I am hoping that this is an opportunity to hear something unexpected, which can make some folks recognize that Garcia existed -- and continues to exist -- beyond their limited current understanding of him. If nothing else, they can say, "Well... I did hear one project from him that wasn't completely terrible." The real truth of the matter is that, while this may be a bit of an outlier in his catalog, the idea that he had a full career with endless deviations -- a large portion of which most of the uninitiated might be equally surprised by -- is the bigger point.

And, to be completely honest, the misconceptions that I feel might exist -- I mean, some can argue that they've heard plenty and I'm wrong about this, and I might be -- aren't solely on the shoulders of those with limited experience with their music. There was a writer for the local weekly in town who wrote an incredibly sincere post about wanting to try and be open to hearing more of the Dead. He asked for recommendations and an entry point to explore them. But here's the problem: there are typically only two types of suggestions that people ever make. The first is that they tell the person inquiring to check out really basic radio friendly tunes, which they feel might be more accessible. The problem there is that there's nothing particularly special with those songs, so, while the listener might not hate them, it also makes it hard to see what all the hype is about. The other suggestion is always the polar opposite, where they urge them to listen to some super spaced out 35 minute jam that's incredibly inaccessible. I offered to send the guy a bootleg of the 1982 show of Jerry Garcia playing acoustic with John Kahn at the Oregon State Penitentiary. He thanked me, because he'd never heard that side of them and really enjoyed it. Then he sent me a drawing of Doc Ellis. I tricked my girlfriend by playing Shady Grove -- Jerry's album of traditional covers with mandolin player David Grisman -- and then later played a 1994 live video of the Dead playing Peggy O, which has such an incredibly beautiful sound to it that it completely penetrates my emotions in a way that no other band ever has. She hated them more than anything. Now she loves them. I'm not saying that's going to happen to anyone else, because it probably won't for most, but stranger things have happened. It's no secret that the fans can of anything can very easily tarnish the image of whatever they are a fan of. A lot of these "jam bands" out touring, are just fans.

To anyone giving this a chance, I chose this album knowing full well that you might hate HOOTEROLL?, but I do implore you to try and check it out with an open mind and I really do appreciate that it seems like everyone is doing their best to approach it that way. Thanks again for listening to it; I promise to do my best to try and remember to check out whatever album is posted in here next, because that's what this thread is all about and it's awesome. Hooteroll? really doesn't sound like the Dead. But, the truth is that, there's a really good chance that you might listen to bands that sound like the Dead, already, and are fans of it, to some extent, without even being fully aware of it.

This is as good an assessment of the Dead as I’ve ever read.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's an honor to put this thing in motion.

And for the first N+G Listening Club record we'll put time in motion as well as we go back to 1967.
It's an year in which time itself is very shifty -- there's lots of Eddies in the space-time continuum.

The Beatles have just projected the psychedelic-fueled hippie era into the absolute mainstream with the release of Sgt. Pepper, practically breathing the same air for several months as Syd Barret and co. down at Abbey Road Studios in London. 3 months later, they put out their deliciously-psychedelic debut, Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It's not a hot take to say this period was a peak of human artistic creativity.

The artist behind our record however was tasting a different kind of air; he was actually on the doorstep of the place this whole movement called Home. Across the pond and across the continent, not only a creative but also a climatic hotbed was giving life to Los Angeles. You had icons like The Doors, Jefferson Airplane and Love, all creating some of their best works; Frank Sinatra was just awarded 5 Grammies in a local ceremony, and Sony & Cher were filming their musical thriller comedy Good Times. But while they were busy with that nonsense, one of their session players, a very talented pianist/guitarist, took advantage of the free studio time the duo's work thankfully created to lay down a more natural and grounded concept...only not in the way you might think.

Inspired by Haitian Voodoo books his sister thought fitting to serve as gifts, Mac Rebennack managed to conjure to life one the few soundscapes truly worthy of the psychedelic title. For while many other works claiming this label could be seen as coming from an escapist drug affair of a western society completely forsaken by any sort of spiritual connection with the land and world it inhabited, this was supposed to be different. Think more Cortes' & Ramahlo's Paebiru than Are You Experienced. More Jim Morrison's Oedipus relentlessly chasing down his father on The End than Grace Slick's Alice tripping down the hole on White Rabbit. And for its daringness, it didn't go unnoticed -- ripples of it carry all the way to Bone Machine era Tom Waits (supposedly, he was so enchanted by the album he drafted Mac's producer Harold Battiste to work on his last two Asylum albums -- just before he as well went off the beaten path with Swordfishtrombones).

This is to be listened at night. Put your kids to sleep. Feed the dogs and let them outside. Cats will probably love it.
It is a smoky affair, instruments and voices permeating from all possible angles as if from a swampy ceremonial gathering just outside the planes of this realm, sometimes far away, sometimes really close, at all times unreachable. So put this on. Light something up -- a candle at the least. And let Mac Rebennack's words take you away:

“To you whom I may communicate with shortly through the smoke of Deaux-Deaux the rattlesnake whose forked tongue hisses pig Latin in silk and satin da-zaw-ig-day, may the gilded splinters of Auntie Andre spew forth in your path to light and guide your way through the bayous of life.”
– Dr John
Gris-Gris, by Dr. John, The Night Tripper
View attachment 1120

SpotifyiTunesYoutube

Way late int he game, but I never participated in Gris Gris, so I'm listening now and it's pretty clear that I'm going to need this one.

Exactly this, but me and Gris-Gris.. Croker Courtbullion is one hell of a neverending trip

But they're never quite the same when you listen to them the next day, you always expect it was something more, no?..

I really love how Gris-Gris is shifting both stylistically and in general tone. I'm just listening with my head phones on, while I work on other things, but I just found myself on one song in particular, where I felt like I really needed to look up the title, so I wouldn't forget ti. It's "Croker Courtbullion." I get what what you mean. Going into "Jump Sturdy" from there was a great move to change things up. It was a both needed and natural transition. I'm listening to that right now.

Ok. Finished it and I love how the whole album floats out on the smoke of "I Walk On Guilded Splinters." It makes it feel more like an experience than simply an album. I really felt like I pushed aside a beaded curtain and into his little lair, got sucked into some freak out trance, went on a full journey, and then was shown the way out a little dazed. It's a great one. Thanks for picking it

Last edited:
Jerry’s ethos of being a player and a musician are on display. The guy would play pretty much anything, and his parts on these songs are great.

Here is another example of how Garcia had the knowledge and skillset to be able to operate in a multitude of styles, which might interest forum members who own and are fans of the James Booker VMP release.

So I've listened to the Spotify version a couple of times now. I'm not new to The Dead, but like many others here I'm pretty lukewarm to their whole thing, I know I could get right into it but I also know it would take a huge commitment of learning and listening and I just haven't got around to it yet; though I didn't know about Day of the Dead, so I have that saved to get through tomorrow.
I appreciate the distinction between this album and the extended jams of The Dead, but this still felt very 'you had to be there' to me, however, the organ playing is great. I haven't played regularly for a few years, but there was a period where I played piano every day for 11 years, subsequently the right kind of keyboard instrument in music just grabs me like nothing else. The solo in the Blues Encore I particularly liked, there isn't all that much popular music around with someone just going at a keyboard like that, so thanks for sharing it @Dead C. I know this will get some revisits, and maybe your great posts a couple of pages back will just be enough to finally get me into The Dead.

Former listening club news. Ween to perform The Mollusk in full at Riot Fest Chicago this year.

I saw them do that unannounced in Bend, Oregon a couple years ago. The thing about Ween is that they'll play at least 2 sets worth of material, but they don't take a break between. So, they played through the entire Mollusk and then just kept going into other material afterward.

Just doing the Mollusk is perfect for those reduced festival set lengths

Last edited:
Have you heard of Sun Ra??

You're likely barking up the wrong tree here. Personally, I don't feel like I would tactlessly trash an album that someone suggested in this listening club like that, just out of respect for the person offering to share with the group -- in fact, I'm even measuring my response to it right now -- but based on who posted it, I'm not entirely surprised that they didn't connect to it. That "evaluation" just sounded ignorant to me. Not even being aware of the Grateful Dead speaks volumes on its own. Wondering if 5 dudes are an "orchestra" because there's a single horn and it's not a straght ahead dance pop album or some tragic Lifetime movie of the week heroine crying into the belly of the acoustic guitar she got for her sweet 16... let's just say I don't think this is the Sun Ra demographic.

I saw them do that unannounced in Bend, Oregon a couple years ago. The thing about Ween is that they'll play at least 2 sets worth of material, but they don't take a break between. So, they played through the entire Mollusk and then just kept going into other material afterward.

Just doing the Mollusk is perfect for those reduced festival set lengths
The infamous “bed bug” show and “The Blarney Stone.” Great show, and man what a poster they did for that show.

I just might have to make it to Chicago for this...

I have one question for all of you ... What would you do with more time... to pick your Listening Club selection? Right now I choose a random participant once a week and they usually have a couple of days to decide.

Would it make more sense to notify them a week early and give them more time? Would that have any effect on the decision-making process? Let me know.

Last edited:
Back