The May 2023 Record Spin Challenge: Silver Screen Edition

3 Blair Witch Project
3. "Oh my god, what the fuck is that? What the fuck is that?" - Heather Donahue

U2 - The Fly, the first single from Achtung Baby, was quite the departure from their sound in the 80's. On Dec. 30, 1989, at their show at The Point Depot in Dublin, Bono said "...It's no big deal, it's just – we have to go away and ... and dream it all up again." And, dream it all up again, they did. They have described Achtung Baby at "the sound of four men chopping down the Joshua Tree." To this day, AB is my very fave album.

1683129437297.jpeg

3 Blair Witch Project
"Oh my god, what the fuck is that? What the fuck is that?" - Heather Donahue

The first thing that popped into my head but I have no B&S or KATW on vinyl...

I'll go to this worthy entry instead. About as descriptively cinematic as music can get...

Tom Waits - Mule Variations

20221031_231958.jpg

3 Blair Witch Project

Frankie And The Witch Fingers "Brain Telephone" (2017 Permanent Records; 2021 Greenway reissue)
This album is a bit of a "what the fuck is that?", and also is low-budget and by witches (well, their fingers).

IMG_0060.JPG

Day 2 Goodfellas
"Jimmy was the kind of guy that rooted for the bad guy in movies." - Henry Hill

Outkast - ATLiens
My favorite movie of all time! Im seen it a dumb amount of times, and most recently watched it sometime last year as my girlfriend had never seen it. Chose this for the "Now get your fucking shinebox" line.

20230503_164400.jpg

4 Apocalypse Now
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?"
Willard: "I don't see any method at all sir"

Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent By Design
Another movie that'd have to be in my top 10. Its been awhile since Ive watched it though. This song actually didnt make it on the vinyl release, but pulls straight from the movie:

View attachment 173693

delorean-time-travel.gif

;)

Day 3 Blair Witch Project
Interpret how you wish
OR
Play something low budget or about witches
PXL_20230504_000438943.jpg
WITCH "Lukombo Vibes" - these Witches Intend to Cause Havoc! When I first heard Zamrock I may have said something along the lines of "what the fuck was that?" but in the most positive way possible! Like what the fuck was that and where do I get more of it?!?

3 Blair Witch Project
Interpret how you wish

Sun Ra & His Interplanetary Vocal Arkestra – The Space Age Is Here To Stay
20230503_190721.jpg

For Heather, Mike, and Josh the forest in north Burkittsville turned out to be "The Forest Of No Return"

View attachment 173343

Hello and welcome to The May 2023 Challenge: Silver Screen Edition!

The typical parameters apply; play a record that suits the prompt and try not to repeat.

As for the prompts; I have chosen a quote or exchange from a favorite movie of mine, you can either interpret the quote however you wish or follow one of the more specific prompts that follow. No pressure!

These aren't in order, and aren't necessarily my top 31 movies. In fact, if I run another challenge in 2024 I could easily find another 30 movies to list...my wife already pointed out a glaring omission. So yeah, this was tough!

One more thing, I'll do a drawing for two $20 Bandcamp giftcards at the end. Just post ONCE and you're in!

Get your popcorn and enjoy the show!
I can't wait to start on the challenge tomorrow. After a whirlwind trip across the country where I had two overnight layovers in the Las Vegas airport, hadn't eaten more than a slice of bread since Monday morning, and got 8 hours of sleep from Saturday to today, I made it home, crashed out, ate half a smoked chicken and two bbqed corn on the cobs from the local bbq joint and fell in and out of consciousness while dreaming of my lonely records for the last 8 hours. Tomorrow I'm back to grading hell and am going to dig in and spin some Silver Screen inspired gems!

4 Apocalypse Now
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?"
Willard: "I don't see any method at all sir"

The horror. The horror...

Apocalypse Now - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

The Doors - 'The End' Apocalypse Now Soundtrack Version

View attachment 173708View attachment 173709

Probably some Wagner “Ride Of The Valkyries & The Doors “The End” on this huh?

Edit: Oh duh, I see now it’s “The End” maxi-single. I thought it was the full soundtrack.

Back