The March Record Spin Challenge - The Grammy Award for Album of the Year Challenge

Day 27

• Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down
• From 1959 - 1988 Motown records managed to win AOTY 4 times (3 of them were Stevie lol). Play an album by your favorite record label

Over the decades, I've found it very difficult to have any qualms with Sire Records.

The Pretenders were the best live band on the planet from '79-'81. RIP Jimmy and Pete...

Pretenders - Extended Play

20210614_232535.jpg

• Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill
• Jagged Little Pill includes "You Oughta Know" which is one of the most cutting "Fuck You" songs of all time! play an album with a great "Fuck You" song

Well. this one's quite literal.

The guitarist is "Mighty" Joe Young. Didn't find out til I was about 20, but he was my cousin in one of those 3rd time removed situations. I'd known Joe for a few years before I found out we were related. He was always the "responsible" one in the band as the live shows often went off the rails a bit.

He dropped dead of a massive heart attack at 54 less than two years after this video was shot...

Antiseen - Live In Austin TX

20230330_000922.jpg

Day 28
  • Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
    • After Lionel Richie beat Bruce Springsteen and Prince for AOTY, the Grammys implemented the extremely controversial secret committees to pick winners to avoid "mistake" like this (and look how well that worked out). So Collins is the first committee approved winner. For this theme have someone else pick (including the discogs randomizer) an album for you to listen to
One of my wife's favorites. She digs 'low music'. I heartily approve...

Morphine - Cure For Pain

20230330_025545.jpg
  • Tony Bennett - Unplugged
    • As of now this is the only AOTY winner not pressed to vinyl (which means it's the only thing stopping me from owning all the winning albums :mad: ) play an album that isn't on vinyl officially (CD, Cassette, Streaming or Bootleg)
From the If it ain't broke department.

The Night has never gotten a vinyl release. It's a low down, dirty shame.

When folks ask me how to sum up Morphine in a song, I always point them here. Just sublime...

Morphine - The Night

Screenshot_20230330-015539_eBay.jpg

Doesn't seem like I'm gonna finish this one.

Too much Diablo 4 beta, work, just an overall "meh" feeling. Oh...and it was my birthday on the 28th, so that was time away from the turntable for a few hours.

Day 29
  • Paul Simon - Graceland
    • Paul Simon was influenced by African music while making this album. Play an album that was also inspired by international music
This record fused everything from afrobeat to psychedelia to krautrock and I thank it very much...

Talking Heads - Fear Of Music

20190809_224858.jpg

• Whitney Houston - The Bodygaurd
    • Spoiler
      Play an album by a vocal powerhouse

Joan Osborne - Radio Waves

20230105_000652.jpg

Last edited:
Day 30
  • U2 - The Joshua Tree/How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
    • U2 are the only band to win AOTY more than once, play an album by your favorite band
  • Eric Clapton - Unplugged
    • Play a live album

The band thing can't be boiled down to a sole contestant but I'll choose from a handful.

Two birds, meet one stone...

The Black Crowes - Warpaint Live

20230330_142216.jpg

Day 28
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required

After Lionel Richie beat Bruce Springsteen and Prince for AOTY, the Grammys implemented the extremely controversial secret committees to pick winners to avoid "mistake" like this (and look how well that worked out). So Collins is the first committee approved winner. For this theme have someone else pick (including the discog randomizer) an album for you to listen to

Marika Hackman – Any Human Friend
20230330_182123.jpg

My wife picked this one for me. It was gifted to her by one of our friends when we were doing our Record Club a year or two ago.

Day 29
Paul Simon - Graceland

Paul Simon was influenced by African music while making this album. Play an album that was also inspired by international music

Alice Coltrane – Kirtan: Turiya Sings
20230330_193303.jpg

I guess technically it is international music rather than inspired by but I'm going with it anyway because it's what I want to listen to!

Back