The March Record Spin Challenge - The Grammy Award for Album of the Year Challenge

Fleetwood-Matt

Hey all! I will be the host of March's Record Spinning thread and I Thought it would be fun to base each theme off the various winners of Album of the Year at the Grammys! Even if you arent a fan of the Grammys (which I wouldnt blame you for) I hope you still enjoy the challenge! In order to represent as many winners as I could each day will have two different themes, you can either chose which one you wanna do, or go for 100%!

No real rules here, pick an album to listen to for each day, try not to play the same thing of someone else and have fun!

Day 1
  • Henry Mancin – The Music From Peter Gunn
    • Henry Mancini was the first winner of AOTY, play the first album that got you into music
  • Harry Styles – Harry’s House
    • Harry is the newest winner of AOTY, play the newest album you've fallen in love with
Day 2
  • Frank Sinatra - Come Dance With
    • This is an album full of songs to dance to with someone you love, play an album with more songs to dance to with your SO
  • Jon Batiste – WE ARE
    • Jon Batiste won with an album that celebrates the music of the past, play another album that does
Day 3
  • Bob Newhart – The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart
    • Back in the early days of the Grammys comedy albums could actually stand a chance at winning AOTY, play another comedy album
  • Taylor Swift – Folklore
    • Taylor Swift took a sharp turn into the indie sphere and win her 3rd AOTY, play another album where an artist successfully changed genres
Day 4
  • Judy Garland – Judy at Carnegie Hall
    • Judy was the first female artist to win AOTY, play an album by a female artist you love
  • Billie Eilish – WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?
    • At 18 Billie became the youngest artist to win AOTY, play an album by another young artist
Day 5
  • Vaughn Meader – The First Family
    • This is a political comedy album, play another political album
  • Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour
    • Kacey Musgraves gained alot of indiehead cred with Golden Hour, play another album where an artist became cool to like
Day 6
  • Barbra Streisand – The Barbra Streisand Album
    • Barbra would eventually become an EGOT winner but she got her start on the stage, play an album by an artist who also has been in a Broadway show
  • Bruno Mars – 24K Magic
    • There have only ever been 2 years in which no white men were nominated for AOTY and those were the 2018 and 1999 Grammys. Play an album by an artist who isnt a white male
Day 7
  • Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto – Getz/Gilberto
    • Play an album where two great minds came together to make an album
  • Adele – 25
    • 25's release was a huge mainstream event, play another albums whose realease felt like a big event
Day 8
  • Quincy Jones – Back on the Block
    • Quincy Jones is one of the most highly regarded producers ever, play another album by an incredible producer
  • Taylor Swift – 1989
    • Lets not beat around the bush, The Grammys have made many mistakes and this winning over Kendrick was one of the biggest. Play an album that should have won or been nominated for AOTY but wasnt
Day 9
  • Frank Sinatra – A Man and His Music
    • Frank Sinatra got his Third AOTY win with a Greatest Hits album, play another Greatest Hits album
  • Beck – Morning Phase
    • This was the first year that I got into the Grammys the way I am now, Play the first album that you personally gave the title of AOTY
Day 10
  • The Beatles – Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
    • This is commonly called the first concept albums (although it really isnt), play another concept album
  • Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
    • Daft Punk is the first artist to win AOTY with an electronic album, play another electronic album

Last edited:
Day 11
  • Glenn Campbell – By the Time I Get to Phoenix
    • Glen Campbell was the first country artist to win AOTY, play another country album
  • Mumford and Sons - Babel
    • Mumford and Sons were played on both pop radio stations, alternative ones and even country ones, Play an album that has crossover appeal
Day 12
  • Blood Sweat and Tears – Blood Sweat and Tears
    • Play a self titled album
  • Adele – 21
    • 21 is one of the greatest breakup albums of all time, play another breakup album
Day 13
  • Simon and Garfunkel – Bridge Over Troubled Waters
    • Simon and Garfunkel won AOTY with their final album, play another album that is an artist's last
  • Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
    • There are like 500 members of Arcade Fire, play an album by another large band
Day 14
  • Carole King - Tapestry
    • Carole King was an incredibly successful songwriter before she got an album of her own, play an album by another great songwriter
  • Robert Plant and Alison Kraus – Raising Sand
    • Play a duet album
Day 15
  • George Harrison and Friends – The Concert for Bangladesh
    • Play an album by an artist you've seen in concert
  • Herbie Hancock – River: The Joni Letters
    • Herbie Hancock won his AOTY off an album of Joni Mitchell covers. Play another covers album or an album with a cover you love (bonus points if you play the original version of the song as well)
Day 16
  • Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
    • Stevie Wonder gained creative control the year prior to this and started his classic era, play another album where an artist has complete creative control
  • Dixie Chicks – Taking the Long Way
    • Play another album by a girl group
Day 17
  • Stevie Wonder – Fulfillingness’ First Finale
    • Stevie Wonder is the first artist to win AOTY with back to back album releases, play the follow up album to an album youve played previously in the month
  • Bonnie Raitt – Nick of Time
    • Bonnie Raitt was nearly 40 when she finally broke through into success, play another album by an artist who got big later in life
Day 18
  • Paul Simon – Still Crazy After All These Years
    • Stevie Wonder won AOTY the two previous years in a row and then took a year off from releasing music, Paul Simon famously thanked Stevie for not releasing and album so he could win. Play an album by any artist who isnt Stevie Wonder
  • Ray Charles – Genius Loves Company
    • This album came out around 2 months after Ray Charles died, Play a posthumous album
Day 19
  • Stveie Wonder – Songs in the Key of Life
    • Following Paul Simon thanking Wonder for not releasing music, Wonder won a 3rd time with his next release, play an album by an artist with a killer hot streak
  • Outkast – Speakerboxx/The Love Below
    • Play a double album
Day 20
  • Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
    • This is my favorite album of all time, play your all time favorite album
  • Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
    • Play a debut album

Last edited:
Day 21
  • Bee Gees - Saturday Night Fever
    • Play a Disco or a Dance Album
  • O Brother Where Art Thou
    • One of 3 Movie Soundtracks to win AOTU (Including the other album for today!) play a movie Soundtrack
Day 22
  • Billy Joel - 52nd Street
    • This was the first album to be released commercially on CD! play a CD or an album that you also own on CD
  • Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
    • This was their first album in 20 years, play a comeback album
Day 23
  • Christopher Cross - Christopher Cross
    • If you ask me this album is an underrated classic! play an album that you love that most other do not
  • Santana - Supernatural
    • Play an album by an artist who was born in a non English speaking country
Day 24
  • John Lennon and Yoko Ono - Double Fantasy
    • Play an album where a husband and wife worked together to make
  • Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
    • Play an album by an artist who went solo
Day 25
  • Toto - IV
    • This album opens and closes with Toto's two best songs (Rosanna and Africa respectivly) play an album where the first and/or last song is the best on the album
  • Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind
    • Bob Dylan finally got some Grammy respect on his 30th album 35 years into his career! Play a great late career album
Day 26
  • Michael Jackson - Thriller
    • This is the best selling album of all time (I could have sworn The Eagles overtook it but i guess not??), Play an album off the best selling of all time list
  • Celine Dion - Falling Into You
    • This won AOTY for the year I was born! Play your Favorite album from the year you were born
Day 27
  • Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down
    • From 1959 - 1988 Motown records managed to win AOTY 4 times (3 of them were Stevie lol). Play an album by your favorite record label
  • Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill
    • Jagged Little Pill includes "You Oughta Know" which is one of the most cutting "Fuck You" songs of all time! play an album with a great "Fuck You" song
Day 28
  • Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
    • After Lionel Richie beat Bruce Springsteen and Prince for AOTY, the Grammys implemented the extremely controversial secret committees to pick winners to avoid "mistake" like this (and look how well that worked out). So Collins is the first committee approved winner. For this theme have someone else pick (including the discog randomizer) an album for you to listen to
  • Tony Bennett - Unplugged
    • As of now this is the only AOTY winner not pressed to vinyl (which means its the only thing stopping me from owning all the winning albums :mad: ) play an album that isnt on vinyl officially (CD, Cassette, Streaming or Bootleg)
Day 29
  • Paul Simon - Graceland
    • Paul Simon was influenced by African music while making this album. Play an album that was also inspired by international music
  • Whitney Houston - The Bodygaurd
    • Play an album by a vocal powerhouse
Day 30
  • U2 - The Joshua Tree/How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
    • U2 are the only band to win AOTY more than once, play an album by your favorite band
  • Eric Clapton - Unplugged
    • Play a live album
Day 31
  • George Michael - Faith
    • Play an album by a LGBT+ artist
  • Natalie Cole - Unforgettable... With Love
    • Play an album by someone with a famous parent

Last edited:
Day 1
  • Henry Mancini – The Music From Peter Gunn
    • Henry Mancini was the first winner of AOTY, play the first album that got you into music
Rehash from last month but have to go with this battered beauty - the first LP I ever bought in 1974. She's still on the shelf...

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

20230219_234147.jpg
    • Harry is the newest winner of AOTY, play the newest album you've fallen in love with
The latest Tipitina's Record Club release is absolutely spectacular...

Donald Harrison - Indian Blues

20230217_003538.jpg

Day 1
  • Henry Mancini – The Music From Peter Gunn

Earliest music memory is listening to this album on my folks console that looked something like the following, the speakers definitely had that pattern.

il_fullxfull.4173390302_ln36.jpg

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young ~ Deja Vu

1677692520836.png

Going off on a tangent, but speaking of Peter Gunn, that song brings back memories of Drum Corp. I played baritone and marched with the Velvet Knights in high school, and Peter Gunn was the first piece we played in our performance. Loved the fact that we embraced the "SoCal" look and got to march in Vans and a casual uniform, as opposed to the traditional uniforms - even if it's a bit dated today. I make an quick appearance at about 1:30 into this...

Day 01, Pt. 1: Henry Mancini was the first winner of AOTY, play the first album that got you into music

Beck - Mellow Gold D4F00618-05A0-4E0B-A6AF-C07696245885.jpeg
I’ve always enjoyed music. Some of my earliest memories is dancing around the living room to the likes of Michael Jackson, Elton John, Wham!, Whitney Houston, and Billy Joel and I had MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, and both the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of The Ooz and TMNT Coming Out Of Our Shells Tour Soundtracks on cassette in elementary school but when I started to deeply care about music was in 6th grade and there were a few albums that I absolutely loved; Siamese Dream, Check Your Head, Dookie, The Blue Album, The Chronic, 36 Chamber, Nevermind, and This, Beck’s Debut album and especially the hit single “Loser” was pretty much on repeat for a good portion of that year.

Day 01, Pt. 2: Harry is the newest winner of AOTY, play the newest album you've fallen in love with

Drugdealer - Hiding In Plain Sight
9136353C-5859-4D7A-A14D-83EE09C0F211.jpeg

This album is so much better than Harry’s House it’s staggering.

Last edited:
Day 1a: The Music from Peter Gunn

The first album I ever bought, on CD or any other format…

Britney Spears - Blackout

7385D222-63C7-4807-A398-F4925A59674F.jpeg
—————————————————————
Day 1b: Harry’s House

Okonski - Magnolia

356E3801-655C-4781-BB7E-6C57EA9064A3.jpeg

I love the moody, downtempo vibe of this album.

Day 1

RAYE - My 21st Century Blues

16776993129432635863313686637735.jpg

I can't stop playing it on digital/streaming. The first album released this year I've purchased on physical format. It's certainly in my top5 for the year at this time, a lock for year end top50, and with a great chance of staying in the top10 when MEGALIST time rolls around. This will likely be what Amber Mark's Three Dimensions Deep was for me last year; an album released in the early part of Q1 that never stopped getting plays throughout the year.
Purchased for a very reasonable $17.99 from Target.

Last edited:
Day 1

View attachment 168432

I can't stop playing it on digital/streaming. The first album released this year I've purchased on physical format. It's certainly in my top5 for the year at this time, a lock for year end top50, and with a great chance of staying in the top10 when MEGALIST time rolls around. This will likely be what Amber Mark's Three Dimensions Deep was for me last year; an album released in the early part of Q1 that never stopped getting plays throughout the year.
A friend sent me this a week or so ago, stopped me in my tracks. Amazing performance.

Day 1

View attachment 168432

This was my first thought for the prompt but I'm waiting on my local to try and score a couple copies. I've been streaming it like mad in the meanwhile.

Day 1
Henry Mancini was the first winner of AOTY, play the first album that got you into music

Weezer - Weezer

This was a birthday gift from a friend circa 1996, and the first CD I owned myself. My friend was smart enough to give to me at school so that my stepmom wouldn't know, and I successfully avoided getting it confiscated for the next 4 years.

20200727_121216_hdr-jpg.58630

Day 1
Henry Mancini was the first winner of AOTY, play the first album that got you into music

Weezer - Weezer

This was a birthday gift from a friend circa 1996, and the first CD I owned myself. My friend was smart enough to give to me at school so that my stepmom wouldn't know, and I successfully avoided getting it confiscated for the next 4 years.

20200727_121216_hdr-jpg.58630
I gave my best friend this CD for his birthday in 1994.

Day 1

The first proper album that got me into music was Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. I remember listening to it on a console very much like @imtheocean 's, but at my grandparents' place. I'm NOT playing that one though (yes, day one and I'm already fudging the prompt). I'm spinning the first album I BOUGHT ( I'm guessing in 1987 or 1988), and it's:
    The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

• 99028BBA-BA0C-4020-A4A2-B4B8454F2CB2.jpeg

Day 1
272C43E1-AFB9-4066-831C-BD17C0A98852.jpeg

Cage the Elephant - Cage the Elephant

I definitely like music before this, hell I had an iPod shuffle that was completely full of its memory. But things definitely changed when I got into this album. Before I didn’t care about albums at all, it was either greatest hits or just random singles. And for the most part my music was all older, there were a few modern songs here or there that I like but the majority was from the 60s - 80s. This album taught me to love the art form of the album and got me to start listening to new music. After falling in love with cte, I quickly started to look for all the modern music I could which lead me to the music fan I am today

Back