The March Record Spin Challenge - The Grammy Award for Album of the Year Challenge

Day 1
Harry Styles – Harry’s House

Harry is the newest winner of AOTY, play the newest album you've fallen in love with

Sunny War – Anarchist Gospel
20230301_211930.jpg

The only 2023 album on my shelf so far, I love this album more and more every time I put it on.

Day 2
  • Frank Sinatra - Come Dance With
    • This is an album full of songs to dance to with someone you love, play an album with more songs to dance to with your SO
We're old but shockingly spry.............well.............one of us, anyway.......it's not me....

Ramones - Rocket To Russia

20230121_032747.jpg
  • Jon Batiste – WE ARE
    • Jon Batiste won with an album that celebrates the music of the past, play another album that does

Juliana Hatfield - Sings Olivia Newton-John

20220926_010509.jpg

Day 2

Jon Batiste – WE ARE
Jon Batiste won with an album that celebrates the music of the past, play another album that does

Jamila Woods - LEGACY! LEGACY!

20230302_044028.jpg

Yup, should've made my top10 in '19 with hindsight being 20/20. The record makes references through song titles of black artists ("BETTY," "EARTHA," "MILES," "MUDDY," and of course "SUN RA") with varied instrumentation and passionate, empowered vocal performances from Woods herself.

Day 2
    • This is an album full of songs to dance to with someone you love, play an album with more songs to dance to with your SO
Well, I woke up to an email from my local radio station (Thanks 91x!) that I won free tickets to see Maggie Rogers tonight, and Mrs ImTheOcean is super excited about it. I'm sure there will be dancing involved.

Maggie Rogers ~ Heard it in a Past Life

1677777827209.png

Day 2
Well, I woke up to an email from my local radio station (Thanks 91x!) that I won free tickets to see Maggie Rogers tonight, and Mrs ImTheOcean is super excited about it. I'm sure there will be dancing involved.

Maggie Rogers ~ Heard it in a Past Life

View attachment 168512
That sounds like a fun evening!

Day 02, Pt. 1: Frank Sinatra - Come Dance With
This is an album full of songs to dance to with someone you love, play an album with more songs to dance to with your SO

Terry Callier - What Color Is Love
FF66FCDD-20F2-4442-A198-EB5F0E004AA6.jpeg
We usually spend more time dancing around the kitchen like drunken maniacs than slow dancing but the if the mood strikes this elegant album would be perfect for a sultry romantic embrace.

Day 02, Pt. 2:
Jon Batiste – WE ARE
Jon Batiste won with an album that celebrates the music of the past, play another album that does

The Beach Boys - Endless Summer
ABA83AB0-1EA0-4DD8-A8D9-577B25B33B04.jpeg
The Beach Boys star had faded quite a bit by 1974 that is until they dropped this near perfect compilation that highlighted most of their pre-Pet Sounds hits. While the success of the album created a whole new generation to Beach Boys fans, it also unfortunately led the band to fully embrace the idea of become a nostalgia act and their new albums suffered as a result.

Last edited:
Day 1
Henry Mancini was the first winner of AOTY, play the first album that got you into music

Creeper Lagoon - I Become Small And Go

032CE18F-1E1C-4ACF-9A74-61D67A32BA58.jpeg

My first choice would have been CSN&Y’s Deja Vu because the earliest memory I have of really loving music was being about four years old and being obsessed with “Our House” because the harmonies made my ears feel good. But @imtheocean snagged it first.

This album by Creeper Lagoon was the first instance when I realized my love for music was becoming a problem. Marco Collins played a song from this late one night on his show and I barely caught the name of the band. The internet was still trying to figure out what it could do, but I was able to listen to only brief sound clips using the realplayer plugin and I became obsessed with trying to hear the whole thing. I wasn’t old enough to drive so my poor dad drove me all over Tacoma trying to find a copy of the CD. Finally found it at a Borders or Fred Meyer, I think.

Day 1
Harry is the newest winner of AOTY, play the newest album you've fallen in love with

The Tubs - Dead Meat

6502F6B7-856C-4D67-AF9F-F6600BC39D11.jpeg

In the past few years, my personal album of the year was released in January or February of that year and they’ve all made me feel like I’m insane because everyone else’s response to them has been “mehh.” This came out this past January and is going to be tough to beat

Day 3
  • Bob Newhart – The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart
    • Back in the early days of the Grammys comedy albums could actually stand a chance at winning AOTY, play another comedy album

George Carlin - On The Road

20230303_003708.jpg

• Taylor Swift – Folklore
    • Taylor Swift took a sharp turn into the indie sphere and win her 3rd AOTY, play another album where an artist successfully changed genres
Damn near every Neil record is a 180 from it's predecessor...

Neil Young - Le Noise

20210127_235829.jpg

Day 1

Part A -

Play the first album that got you into music.

We had records in the house, but we usually just listened to the radio or watched MTV. But this is where it all really started.

This was the first pre-recorded cassette I owned - I got it for Christmas 1984. It was a good 3 years before I could really find and buy what I liked myself, though.

Duran Duran – Arena
Capitol Records – SWAV-12374, 1984

Cut at Masterdisk
Pressed at Capitol, Jacksonville

m0N8ja.jpg

0U8CAM.jpg

Part B -

Play the newest album you've fallen in love with.

"Love" may be a bit strong - I rarely "love" an album. But if i "really like" an album, I'll listen to it on vinyl and streaming in the car or on my phone at work...so I must really like this one.

I had this one sitting here for months before I finally got around to playing it back in December - and I only just ordered their new album.

Ghost Woman – Ghost Woman
Full Time Hobby – FTH434LP, 2022

Pressed at Takt Direct

aqeyFc.jpg

ZbE4AJ.jpg

Day 3

Taylor Swift - Folklore
Taylor Swift took a sharp turn into the indie sphere and win her 3rd AOTY, play another album where an artist successfully changed genres

Madonna - Ray of Light

16778409519727596836429005616620.jpg

Madonna's leap into the downtempo/trip-hop world. A high water mark for her career.

Day 3
  • Taylor Swift – Folklore
    • Taylor Swift took a sharp turn into the indie sphere and win her 3rd AOTY, play another album where an artist successfully changed genres
Damn near every Neil record is a 180 from it's predecessor...
EDIA]

Neil Young - Le Noise

View attachment 168588

Yep, this could just be "Neil Day".

Neil Young & The Bluenotes ~ This Notes For You

1677864053570.png

Day 03, Pt. 1: Bob Newhart – The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart
Back in the early days of the Grammys comedy albums could actually stand a chance at winning AOTY, play another comedy album

Tenacious D - Tenacious D
822FABC8-BDBA-4709-B2DE-299D787892DD.jpeg
I usually enjoy listening to Comedy albums while driving so I am not a big comedy album on vinyl guy. The best I could find is The D while it’s definitely a comedy album it’s more comedy songs than stand up, it’s still funny AF though.

Day 02, Pt. 2: Taylor Swift – Folklore
Taylor Swift took a sharp turn into the indie sphere and win her 3rd AOTY, play another album where an artist successfully changed genres

Lil Ugly Mane - Volcanic Bird Enemy And The Voiced Concern
5E39C551-EAF9-4C8B-8EA1-C497A35187A0.jpeg

Lil’ Ugly Man is usually an underground rapper but is hard to pin down under a specific genre as he seem to follow his muse wherever it leads. Everyone geeking out over Lil Yachty making a mediocre Pink Floyd album should give this album a listen as Lil Ugly Mane has made best Beck album since Guero.

Last edited:
Day 2
Frank Sinatra - Come Dance With Me
Play an album with more songs to dance to with your SO
Wilco - Wilco Alpha Mike Foxtrot

F902642A-B45B-450C-9E8E-E6CB24ACB9E0.jpeg
I used to make mix CDs for my wife when we were dating and Wilco ended up being a band that meant a lot to our growing relationship. As we were trying to figure out what our “first dance” song would be, we were driving around listening to the bonus CD that came with Sky Blue Sky (the album had just come out) and “One True Vine” started and it was the song we were looking for. It’s also fairly short, which is extremely important for a first dance song.

Back