The 'I Did a Thing' Thread

This is an I-am-in-the-process-of-doing-a-thing post. With @HiFi Guy's much appreciated enabling help, support and encouragement, I have opted to bite on the in-effect NOS Garrard 401 that Echo Audio is selling. I've done the hard part, now all that's left is to drive to Portland, OR and pick it up, which I'm planning to do next week. Echo's owner, Kurt, has been great to work with. He's patient, has answered all my questions, and he even initiated a FaceTime call where he gave me a tour of his shop and an intimate look at the 401 from every possible angle, including under the hood. He afforded me a pressure-free space to make up my mind, and I'm looking forward to meeting him in person and getting a better look at the amazing equipment he has in his shop (especially the Garrard!). Hell, even my wife has been supportive of this, but I think in her case it's mostly because she's excited at the prospect of my being out of the house for a few days!

This is by far the most outrageous thing I've done in my hedonistic quest for excitement as it relates to listening to recorded music. I'm looking forward to the journey.

P.S. A sincere thank you to Nels.

Last edited:
This is an I-am-in-the-process-of-doing-a-thing post. With @HiFi Guy's much appreciated enabling help, support and encouragement, I have opted to bite on the in-effect NOS Garrard 401 that Echo Audio is selling. I've done the hard part, now all that's left is to drive to Portland, OR and pick it up, which I'm planning to do next week. Echo's owner, Kurt, has been great to work with. He's patient, has answered all my questions, and he even initiated a FaceTime call where he gave me a tour of his shop and an intimate look at the 401 from every possible angle, including under the hood. He afforded me a pressure-free space to make up my mind, and I'm looking forward to meeting him in person and getting a better look at the amazing equipment he has in his shop (especially the Garrard!). Hell, even my wife has been supportive of this, but I think in her case it's mostly because she's excited at the prospect of my being out of the house for a few days!

This is by far the most outrageous thing I've done in my hedonistic quest for excitement as it relates to listening to recorded music. I'm looking forward to the journey.

Kurt and Echo are excellent. Have a fun trip! Let us know when you're around if you need a meet up. Portland seems busy with needles and groovers next week.

Kurt and Echo are excellent. Have a fun trip! Let us know when you're around if you need a meet up. Portland seems busy with needles and groovers next week.
I'm planning to arrive on Wednesday and depart Friday morning. If there's a gathering, I'd be down. Also need to know which record shops shouldn't be missed! :D

Garrard journey is going well so far. Landed in Le Grande, OR for the first night. Hit The Archives to do some digging, and man, was there a lot to sort through. In boxes, on shelves, on the floor. Hard work! But it’s been a long time since I’ve had that kind of a digging opportunity, and I’d say it worked out okay. Here’s my $80 haul (22 titles). Tomorrow, Portland.

143A7FE6-7983-4350-92F5-34F80CFCAB9F.jpeg

6FB0D005-13A5-46CC-BFC8-DF0FBB6B2225.jpeg

Garrard journey is going well so far. Landed in Le Grande, OR for the first night. Hit The Archives to do some digging, and man, was there a lot to sort through. In boxes, on shelves, on the floor. Hard work! But it’s been a long time since I’ve had that kind of a digging opportunity, and I’d say it worked out okay. Here’s my $80 haul (22 titles). Tomorrow, Portland.

View attachment 174573

View attachment 174572
"I didn't give a damn if whites bought it!" is now my favorite album title of all-time.

Major auction yesterday, my wife bought all these. Lots to donate and sell in cheap bundles. Went through quickly and pulled some better ones. But this box is probably the best part.

View attachment 174521

As a Monkees obsessive, I salivated watching that video... I wish Monkees stuff (aside from their first 3-4 albums) was as common here! Great haul.

I'm planning to arrive on Wednesday and depart Friday morning. If there's a gathering, I'd be down. Also need to know which record shops shouldn't be missed! :D
Not sure I can make anything in the evening today or tomorrow, kid has stuff going on. Could meet up for lunch though. Enjoy Echo today!

Not sure I can make anything in the evening today or tomorrow, kid has stuff going on. Could meet up for lunch though. Enjoy Echo today!
Thanks, Matt. Tomorrow midday-ish is when I plan to head to Echo, and yeah, I’m really looking forward to that! Got into town early afternoon today and hit Mississippi Records, Too Many Records, Little Axe, and Music Millenium (mostly because it was so close to Little Axe). Those first three all have something uniquely cool to offer. MM is a bit too much for my tastes, but man, if you‘re looking for new stuff, they’ve probably got it!

Thanks, Matt. Tomorrow midday-ish is when I plan to head to Echo, and yeah, I’m really looking forward to that! Got into town early afternoon today and hit Mississippi Records, Too Many Records, Little Axe, and Music Millenium (mostly because it was so close to Little Axe). Those first three all have something uniquely cool to offer. MM is a bit too much for my tastes, but man, if you‘re looking for new stuff, they’ve probably got it!
Sounds like you had a great day! Nice spots you hit. Mississippi is great. Millennium always has a good new selection, but a couple bucks mire expensive quite often. Their used selection has really improved lately.

Lots of places doing Portland Sandwich week right now too. $8 specials, most places open around 11. Portland Mercury's Sandwich Week 2023 - Every day, through June 11 - EverOut Portland

The thing is did! It’s massive. 24” x 18”. Ready to roll, but the trip home won’t start until tomorrow.

DF60698B-97E3-49E6-A78D-64E89D3762B4.jpeg

Back