The Grammy Awards Thread

I'm confused here with this Jon conversation. What I'm understanding, and I may be misinterpreting, is that Jon shouldn't of won because he's a Democrat?

The impression I was getting is that it's a complaint that Grammy voters (specifically Album of the Year, if we say all Grammy Awards it becomes tougher to justify IMO) are reticent to reward artists who are unabashedly political and critical of the white, liberal establishment that generally represents the voting body of the awards (from the left as opposed to the right: Kid Rock or Ted Nugent or Aaron Lewis are not being let anywhere near the Grammys). Or more that when a person of color does win album of the year, it tends to be for music that lyrically and sonically is easier for this block of voters to listen to. So you'll have situations where 24K Magic beats 4:44 and Damn (2018), or 25 beats Lemonade (2017), or 1989 beats To Pimp at Butterfly (2016), or Babel beats Channel Orange (2013). I think I can agree to some extent on this point, though I also think outside of 2013, there's a real musical argument to be had on all of those.

-------------

More generally

I'm giving WE ARE a more thorough listening this morning and like, I don't think the criticism about the music is that unfair - it's safe both sonically (he's very good but not much of this is treading ground not done decades prior in many ways by different artists in different spots) and politically where there is commentary about the political unrest of the last few years but mostly in terms that few would object to. Oddly enough though, I can't think of another contemporary musician who could make this album - there's a lot of different musical skills, talents, and methods required to put this together. It kind of reminds me of another musician who dominated the Grammys for a period of time in terms of multifaceted talent and the type of music being made in Stevie Wonder. Listneing to I NEED YOU and then WHATCHUTALKINBOUT back to back is a whiplash of styles and topics that is really...different. Then you hop to Boy Hood and it's a third entirely different feeling son. In some ways I think the singles era we are living in does it a bit of a disservice. It's safe but it's really dang difficult simultaneously. Personally, I don't find it particularly disqualifying but I don't think the overall complaint about the Academy's reticence to embrace challenging music is unfair either. With that said, I'd probably argue that this may even be more of an indictment on music criticism. This is a well known, talented, musician who gets exactly four reviews that made the AotY website. I think we as an overall collective of listeners are quick to dismiss some artists because they feel, vaguely, too safe or familiar. Maybe we can all be surprised that this pulled a ton of noms and won AotY (I think @Djxfactor511 is very right that his familiar image and the wide variety of music he creates likely exposed him to more voters than otherwise may know some other nominees), but I'm personally going to take it as a reminder that there's a ton of good music out there and maybe an artist doesn't need to be pushing it to the very edge to be a great album.

I'm confused here with this Jon conversation. What I'm understanding, and I may be misinterpreting, is that Jon shouldn't of won because he's a Democrat?

Thats not what im saying at all Me being drunk added with my natural inability to really form cohesive arguments may have made that seem the case though lol. Im just saying its very telling that for a black man to finally win they have to be seen as a safe and non progressive choice. In a bubble I think Jon is a fine pick, solid album although sorta forgettable. But in context of the previous AOTY winners and snubs its disappointing. Since the year 2006 the only black men to win AOTY have been throwback jazzy picks who can be seen as safe (Herbie Hancock, Ray Charles and now Jon). And artists who have really pushed the envelope are getting noms but not winning. Its less to do with Jon's personal politics and more to do with the fact that this is the only type of music a Black man can make in order to win

Last edited:
The impression I was getting is that it's a complaint that Grammy voters (specifically Album of the Year, if we say all Grammy Awards it becomes tougher to justify IMO) are reticent to reward artists who are unabashedly political and critical of the white, liberal establishment that generally represents the voting body of the awards (from the left as opposed to the right: Kid Rock or Ted Nugent or Aaron Lewis are not being let anywhere near the Grammys). Or more that when a person of color does win album of the year, it tends to be for music that lyrically and sonically is easier for this block of voters to listen to. So you'll have situations where 24K Magic beats 4:44 and Damn (2018), or 25 beats Lemonade (2017), or 1989 beats To Pimp at Butterfly (2016), or Babel beats Channel Orange (2013). I think I can agree to some extent on this point, though I also think outside of 2013, there's a real musical argument to be had on all of those.

-------------

More generally

I'm giving WE ARE a more thorough listening this morning and like, I don't think the criticism about the music is that unfair - it's safe both sonically (he's very good but not much of this is treading ground not done decades prior in many ways by different artists in different spots) and politically where there is commentary about the political unrest of the last few years but mostly in terms that few would object to. Oddly enough though, I can't think of another contemporary musician who could make this album - there's a lot of different musical skills, talents, and methods required to put this together. It kind of reminds me of another musician who dominated the Grammys for a period of time in terms of multifaceted talent and the type of music being made in Stevie Wonder. Listneing to I NEED YOU and then WHATCHUTALKINBOUT back to back is a whiplash of styles and topics that is really...different. Then you hop to Boy Hood and it's a third entirely different feeling son. In some ways I think the singles era we are living in does it a bit of a disservice. It's safe but it's really dang difficult simultaneously. Personally, I don't find it particularly disqualifying but I don't think the overall complaint about the Academy's reticence to embrace challenging music is unfair either. With that said, I'd probably argue that this may even be more of an indictment on music criticism. This is a well known, talented, musician who gets exactly four reviews that made the AotY website. I think we as an overall collective of listeners are quick to dismiss some artists because they feel, vaguely, too safe or familiar. Maybe we can all be surprised that this pulled a ton of noms and won AotY (I think @Djxfactor511 is very right that his familiar image and the wide variety of music he creates likely exposed him to more voters than otherwise may know some other nominees), but I'm personally going to take it as a reminder that there's a ton of good music out there and maybe an artist doesn't need to be pushing it to the very edge to be a great album.

You have summed up my point of view way better than i did lol. Also you named my 3 favorite songs by him and that run from "I NEED YOU" to "BOY HOOD" is outstanding! Like i said i do like the album (id give it a 7/10 on a good day lol) Its more just in context outside of this year it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that he wins

Last edited:
Any time you need a TV performance for a serious issue. Social justice, illness, world peace, etc.. YOU CALL UP JOHN LEGEND.

OR - You get the John Legend + Common package.
Add Lin Manuel Miranda to that as well.

Honestly, it drives me kinda crazy and has really soured my feelings about all three.

So huge shake up with the AOTY nom contenders. Silk Sonic was the clear front runner in the category against Adele but that’s sadly no longer the case. I am immensely disappointed

Another big change: In order to be eligible for a Grammy, albums must contain greater than 75% playing time of newly recorded music; the previous eligibility rule was 50%
I assume this is to keep things like In These Silent Days Deluxe Edition from qualifying? I can get down with that, I would have been happier if In the Canyon Haze had been released separately anyhow.

So huge shake up with the AOTY nom contenders. Silk Sonic was the clear front runner in the category against Adele but that’s sadly no longer the case. I am immensely disappointed

I mean I really enjoy Silk Sonic's album alot, but it was not the best album of 2021 much less 2022.

I predicted AOTY would be a boring category and I was totally right about that. Mary J Blige and Coldplay were the only ones I didn’t see coming

Back