The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

You know what amazes me about the dead after I listened to not only Shakedown Street but also long strange trip is their ability to mix every genre of music into one cohesive sound. You can hear Folk and country, Blues and Jazz, Rock. You hear other bands even today say they are fans of a genre but you may or may not hear that influence in their music, not so with the Dead. Bravo 👏

I re-listened to Dave's 30 yesterday at work and my god if that isn't one of the best sounding Dead shows I've ever heard. Amazing set, too

It's tragic how Dave's 31 attempts to follow that up with the circus piano sound and cassette master (don't shoot me)
The cassette master is a price to pay for shows of that era. It’s unfortunate because there are a lot of great Dead shows from that era (roughly ‘79 through the late 80s), but they can sound so thin. It really takes having listened to a lot of them to make it through. I’m glad they’re releasing shows from that era, but I know there are people who don’t want to bother given the source.

I like the latest Dave’s, but they can be such a whiplash from one volume to the next.

From the corner of my eye I saw the sun explode
I didn't look directly 'cause it would have burned my soul
When the smoke and the thunder cleared enough to look around
I heard a sweet guitar lick, an old familiar sound
I heard a laugh I recognized come rolling from the earth
I saw it rise into the skies like lightning giving birth
It sounded like Garcia but I couldn't see the face
Just the beard and the glasses and a smile on empty space...

Mickey Hart - Down the Road

Anyone have electric on the eel? It's only 50 on amazon and 4 LP set, will probably but, but wanted to hear what people thought of the mastering/packaging

Anyone have electric on the eel? It's only 50 on amazon and 4 LP set, will probably but, but wanted to hear what people thought of the mastering/packaging
Mine just landed before I left the house tonight, like almost 6pm. From what I saw the packaging is an envelope type jacket.

Will update further upon returning home.
I’m psyched.

My 2/28/69 set should be landing within the next week too.
Nice to have new Dead to spin. 😁

Sorry for the late post.
Here’s some shots of the package.
clBqxiz.jpg

w1ujGvF.jpg

CzDZv5t.jpg

Thought this artwork was cool on the last side.
OYtwIqz.jpg

Also, there’s an etching on that same side.
I’ll leave that alone unless you’re curious.

In regards to the pressing, and I’m about half way through side B, it sounds pretty great. On a similar level to the Almost Acoustic pressing.
Don’t hesitate to ask further questions.

Man, oh man, love waking up with some Garcia/Dead and some coffee. :coffee:

Fall Fun Run announced. Only 4 shows. Can't help but be a little disappointed.

The rumors suggested more shows on the West Coast at the end of November and December, so wouldn’t be surprised if there are more announcements to come.

I’m planning on going to both Hampton shows.

Since I imagine there's a bit of overlap given the fanbases, I thought I'd throw it out in here (no official Phish thread to be found): Looking for some Phish tickets for the upcoming Dicks run.

While I happen to be a local, we had a wedding get called off for that weekend and now I'm trying to hunt down a 3 day pass. Holler if you know of any that aren't wildly overpriced!

Since I imagine there's a bit of overlap given the fanbases, I thought I'd throw it out in here (no official Phish thread to be found): Looking for some Phish tickets for the upcoming Dicks run.

While I happen to be a local, we had a wedding get called off for that weekend and now I'm trying to hunt down a 3 day pass. Holler if you know of any that aren't wildly overpriced!
I'll keep you posted if I see anything. We had a phish thread on the old forum, could be nice to bring that back.

Very informative thread, thanks all. I too am just getting into the Dead. Purchased Steal Your Face and Wake of the Flood last night from my local. Looking forward to digging in.

Collection:
Capitol Theatre 77
American beauty
Wake of the flood
Steal your face

About to do a purge so I can buy Cornell and Filmore West 69'

Back